Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission or torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 12:46 PM
machaux
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission or torque converter?

I bought a used 1988 Ford F-150 302 4x4 4 speed automatic with a motor that was almost gone which I knew before I bought it. It would run but the transmission would shudder like a manual transmission would if u were too high in the gears. Ie: shifting to fifth when ur supposed to be in 3rd. Took it to a local shop and they said since the motor was misfiring that was the problem. I had someone put another engine in that ran good but now it will not go into gear unless I rev the engine wayyy up. Once it gets going it drives for about 100 ft and I have to rev it up some more. Io can do this in all gears including reverse. Is it the tranny or torque converter. The fluid was low once it warmed up and I filled it but I think it made it worse.. This is part 1 of 3 problems I have.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:11 PM
machaux
New User
I was going to seperate 3 threads but they may all be related so problem 2 is when I turn the key the shifter just falls into any gear. I have to hold it in park and then turn the key back for it to stay in park. Once it's in gear it stays there. I looked under the truck to unfasten the linkage and the teansmission gears do work. I think it's a problem in the column itself. Problem 3 is once I start the truck and let it run for 10 mins without doing nothing, I turn the truck off and it drags and will not start and it had a new battery and starter. Once it cools down it starts right up. What's overheating or does all of this have to do with the original transmission question?

Old 04-11-2015, 08:41 PM
machaux
New User
Anyone? Did I break the forum rules? 113 views and no responses.. I guess i have a major problem!

Old 04-11-2015, 08:55 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Lol no you didn't break the rules. Nobody replied because probably nobody that looked knows what to make of it.

Let's see here, one thing at a time... the transmission detents are in the transmission itself. When you disconnected the cable from the shift lever at the transmission, did the shift lever on the transmission snap firmly into each detent? If so then your problem is in the column as you thought. Although the lever should not be able to shift the transmission just by it's own weight alone. That's why I'm asking did the transmission snap FIRMLY into each detent.

Second, being able to only drive 100 feet sounds like low fluid level. Did you check it correctly? The right way is to warm up the trans and then move the shifter into each position, allowing time for that gear to engage, starting at park, and working your way down to first. Then back to park, leave the engine running, and check the level using the dipstick.

The shudder is probably related to low fluid level.

Also, if you have an electronically controlled trans (if you have an overdrive button on the dash then it's electronic) you'll want to check the computer for fault codea even if your check engine light ain't on.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:18 PM
Ford SD
Senior User
I had a '94 F150 2WD auto 300 I6 that would shutter going up hill. I figured the tranny was shot so I traded it in. Saw it a couple months later at a local gas station and asked the guy what ever happened to the transmission. He said it just needed a flush and fill I traded it in for $500! It didn't have any rust and only had about 90k on it.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:08 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
the glass is still half full

Originally Posted by Ford SD
I had a '94 F150 2WD auto 300 I6 that would shutter going up hill. I figured the tranny was shot so I traded it in. Saw it a couple months later at a local gas station and asked the guy what ever happened to the transmission. He said it just needed a flush and fill I traded it in for $500! It didn't have any rust and only had about 90k on it.
but the knowledge and wisdom you gained from the experience was priceless.
now you know the importance of proper maintenance for all your future vehicles and they will now last you much,much longer as a result of your lesson learned.

hopefully you also learned to always sell privately and not trade in too.that little sting was a lesson learned as well.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:13 AM
GoFastGuy
Junior User
Sounds like torque converter if you have to Rev it up to get it to go.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:27 AM
Toplait
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dixie460

Transmission detents are in the transmission itself. When you disconnected the cable from the shift lever at the transmission, did the shift lever on the transmission snap firmly into each detent? If so then your problem is in the column as you thought. Although the lever should not be able to shift the transmission just by it's own weight alone. That's why I'm asking did the transmission snap FIRMLY into each detent.

Second, being able to only drive 100 feet sounds like low fluid level. Did you check it correctly? The right way is to warm up the trans and then move the shifter into each position, allowing time for that gear to engage, starting at park, and working your way down to first. Then back to park, leave the engine running, and check the level using the dipstick.

The shudder is probably related to low fluid level.

Also, if you have an electronically controlled trans (if you have an overdrive button on the dash then it's electronic) you'll want to check the computer for fault codes even if your check engine light ain't on.

Greetings, folks

Sorry about your troubles. Here is some more information that might help you.

If the transmission is electronically controlled you should also check make sure the connectors are clean and also are in good shape that plug into each side of the transmission.

If you still have the same problem pull codes from the computer.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:36 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by machaux
Ie: shifting to fifth when ur supposed to be in 3rd.
That didn't happen. You have a four speed transmission, not a five speed.

I had someone put another engine in that ran good but now it will not go into gear unless I rev the engine wayyy up.
That was probably low transmission fluid.

Once it gets going it drives for about 100 ft and I have to rev it up some more. Io can do this in all gears including reverse.
I said was beacuse now the fluid level doesn't matter. This trans is toast. Stick a fork in it.

ANY time you have to rev it to get it to engage STOP and find out what's wrong before destroying the trans. If you had done that right after the engine change you might have been just fine for the cost of a couple quarts of ATF. Now you need a transmission replacement or rebuild.

Is it the tranny or torque converter. The fluid was low once it warmed up and I filled it but I think it made it worse..
New fluid didn't make it worse. It just didn't fix the damage you did by revving the engine when it was slipping.
Anyone? Did I break the forum rules? 113 views and no responses.. I guess i have a major problem!
Some of us actually have lives outside this forum. I for one was busy all day yesterday. If you'll send me the receipt for my services I'll gladly refund the money you've paid me.

Originally Posted by GoFastGuy
Sounds like torque converter if you have to Rev it up to get it to go.
I'd love to hear how you came to that conclusion. My diagnosis is totally opposite.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:21 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
More than likely an AOD. My guess would have been the TV was out of adjustment to start with. Might not be much left now.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:36 PM
GoFastGuy
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
That didn't happen. You have a four speed transmission, not a five speed.

That was probably low transmission fluid.

I said was beacuse now the fluid level doesn't matter. This trans is toast. Stick a fork in it.

ANY time you have to rev it to get it to engage STOP and find out what's wrong before destroying the trans. If you had done that right after the engine change you might have been just fine for the cost of a couple quarts of ATF. Now you need a transmission replacement or rebuild.

New fluid didn't make it worse. It just didn't fix the damage you did by revving the engine when it was slipping.

Some of us actually have lives outside this forum. I for one was busy all day yesterday. If you'll send me the receipt for my services I'll gladly refund the money you've paid me.

I'd love to hear how you came to that conclusion. My diagnosis is totally opposite.
I had a 94 ranger auto v6 truck would run great but to even move you would have Rev the engine real high for it to creep. Trans fluid and all was good, ended up beimg torque converter.