6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Has a Banks tuner or speed brake caused problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 06:24 PM
robshutt357
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has a Banks tuner or speed brake caused problems?

I am looking at adding the Banks Speedbrake to my 6.0, Banks Power says I have to use a tuner with it, my mechanic says if I add a turner I will be paying him $7000 to replace my head studs and gasket when the tow truck brings it in.

I don't really want the tuner, I have enough go power, I just want some slowing power when I tow my 18,000 5er.

Any feedback is appreciated, also interested in feedback on the Speedbrake.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:30 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Based on the numbers posted on the marketing chart, I don't believe their claims.

Combined weight of 18.5K#'s, which is only moderate. It states "we dropped the throttle", and doesn't state if the brakes have been actuated at all. That's what initiates the factory braking strategies. Zero throttle input, T/H mode engaged, and brake input to set, or reduce speed. If I don't hit the brakes to initiate the braking strategy, I'll accelerate out of control, just like the chart. In stock form, my 6.0l Excursion w/trailer(GCVWR +20K#'s) can slow the load on 8% grades using only the turbo, and transmission.

The only thing this product offers is potentially more aggressive turbo/trans braking strategies. The VGT can only be closed so much. I don't believe they can improve the performance as much as they claim, but I'm just speculating.

Your trailer is heavy, and you may need to adjust your driving style, and dig into the brakes more than you expect.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:53 PM
robshutt357
New User
Originally Posted by william_04_x
Based on the numbers posted on the marketing chart, I don't believe their claims.

Combined weight of 18.5K#'s, which is only moderate. It states "we dropped the throttle", and doesn't state if the brakes have been actuated at all. That's what initiates the factory braking strategies. Zero throttle input, T/H mode engaged, and brake input to set, or reduce speed. If I don't hit the brakes to initiate the braking strategy, I'll accelerate out of control, just like the chart. In stock form, my 6.0l Excursion w/trailer(GCVWR +20K#'s) can slow the load on 8% grades using only the turbo, and transmission.

The only thing this product offers is potentially more aggressive turbo/trans braking strategies. The VGT can only be closed so much. I don't believe they can improve the performance as much as they claim, but I'm just speculating.

Your trailer is heavy, and you may need to adjust your driving style, and dig into the brakes more than you expect.

It has really good reviews, people say it works very well, not sure about their test results, and really don't care since they are selling it...consumer feedback is what I want. The theory is that it combines shifting with VGT closing. I am not looking for added performance, just downhill speed control, it just happens to be a combined package. I am making a trip from Southern CA. To South Dakota, and don't want any issues on some of the mountain passes. Here is So Cal it's not an issue.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:29 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Have you talked to any of the custom tuners about a "trans only tune with Jake brake"? Custom tunes have been written for over a decade now that provide no additional engine power gains, but improve towing performance.

I'm not saying the product doesn't/won't work. I'm basing my opinion on the experiences of others with Banks programming products. Typically the communicated results have been mediocre, with a first class price tag.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:54 AM
Grant-Dieseltech
Senior User
SCT offers that on their programmers at the stock power level. Banks is trash in my opinion.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:42 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Perhaps adjusting the gain on the trailer brakes will help you? When were the trailer brakes last inspected and adjusted? The brakes on the trailer should be sized to its weight and be enough compensation for the truck under normal circumstances.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:42 PM
robshutt357
New User
I have good stopping power, my brakes are fine, I would really like to hear from someone that has experience with a Banks, everyone seems to ditch them, but I don't think they have personal experience with banks. The banks combines shifting and turbo to slow you down, not sure others do both.

and again, I am towing 18,000 lb 5er and don't feel comfortable using the tow/haul going down some of the hills here in California, so I am concerned about driving in The a Rocky Mountains down 8% grades for 20 miles with curves....not really impressed with idea of riding my brakes all way down. my F350 is a SRW so my gears are 3.73, not the 4.35 like some of the duallys

Old 04-10-2015, 07:57 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This subject has come up a number of times in all the forums I go to.
It is an aproximation of an actual jake brake system as used on big rigs.
Like most aproximations they do not work as good as the real deal.

Most of those who quit useing them did so by finding out they did not quite work as well as advertised. You would not be doing much more than if you were useing tow/haul as it was designed to be used.

There really is no magic bullet for this. There are hundreds of people everyday driveing with loads and conditions you describe useing no more than good driveing habits/common sense and the factory equipment as it was designed for.

Just saying.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:06 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The combination of the stock turbo, tuning, like you mention, may improve braking by 50 Hp equivalent in hold back, but the iporiginal tow haul and VGT controls only gets you about 125 Hp equivalent hold back. So, you really need to go over the top slower with 18,000 lb trailers and then be willing to pull down into 3rd for the most hold back you can get. If you need more hold back, pull it down into second, then firmly press the brakes on truck and the trailer via the controller until you slow enough to allow the transmission to shift down to second. You are not going to get any more hold back with this type of technology than described here because that's all that is there in restricting the turbo and using the transmission. The next thing is like a BD exhaust brake which literally closes the exhaust off with a butterfly valve or better still a real jake brake in the heads which hold exhaust and intake valves closed on intake and exhaust strokes of each piston to slow the truck. This butterfly valve maybe 200 hp equivalent, true jake, up to if not exceeding full braking of the engines capacity 300+ HP. If you want to hold that beast back, I think you need to look at the BD exhaust brake for the performance you want, otherwise, it's slower over the top for you, nothing worse than that sinking feeling when the brakes are smoking and fading away and you know you got lots more hill ahead of you.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:04 PM
robshutt357
New User
I find it hard to believe that nobody has treid the Banks Speedbrake.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:03 PM
Grant-Dieseltech
Senior User
Originally Posted by robshutt357
I find it hard to believe that nobody has treid the Banks Speedbrake.
People shy away from banks for a reason.
sct does do both turbo and trans. Select stock power, agressive tow haul and "jake brake" from the options. $400 and you have the turbo braking you want and your not making any changes to fuel mapping or timing.

These trucks have awesome brakes already and your 5k under what your rated to tow. Add trailer brakes to that along with going down in manual second and you shouldn't have any problems. The truck was made to do that stock, if you choose to add somthing aftermarket it will just help even more.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:18 PM
robshutt357
New User
Originally Posted by Grant-Dieseltech
People shy away from banks for a reason.
sct does do both turbo and trans. Select stock power, agressive tow haul and "jake brake" from the options. $400 and you have the turbo braking you want and your not making any changes to fuel mapping or timing.

These trucks have awesome brakes already and your 5k under what your rated to tow. Add trailer brakes to that along with going down in manual second and you shouldn't have any problems. The truck was made to do that stock, if you choose to add somthing aftermarket it will just help even more.
Actually, I am over my GCVWR, my truck is rated to tow a 15,500 lb 5er. Mine weighs 18,500 or more depending on how much my **** weighs.

I understand your comments about people shy away, but have not heard from anyone with first hand experience. It's all hear say. I don't have anything against SCT, just want to hear from horses mouth.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:24 PM
Grant-Dieseltech
Senior User
Okay, i can see where you would want some more braking then. I thought your gross was 18k, not trailer alone 18k. Thats getting pretty heavy.
Did some reading on a Dmax forum, lots of those guys using the banks.
You dont have to tune the truck, you just have to get their monitor device to control the speedbrake with. At least thats what they were saying. It was a chevy thread from '09 though.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:26 PM
robshutt357
New User
Originally Posted by Grant-Dieseltech
Okay, i can see were you would want some more braking then. I thought your gross was 18k, not trailer alone 18k. Thats getting pretty heavy.
Did some reading on a Dmax forum, lots of those guys using the banks.
You dont have to tune the truck, you just have to get there monitor device to control the speedbrake with. At least thats what they were saying. It was a chevy thread from '09 though.
Yep, heavy load, and I have 3.73 gears Cuz it's SRW.. Thanks for the input.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:01 AM
robshutt357
New User
I have installed the Banks SpeedBrake on my truck and have towed my 5th Wheel on flat ground only so far. What I can say for now is: when activated, it slows you down very good such as when approaching a stop light etc. it is WAY more aggressive than the OEM Tow Haul mode. I will be traveling from Southern California to South Dakota next week, that trip will involved going down steep grades, so I will report back then with results. The speed brake is really cool, it has many modes. You can Activate when u let off the throttle or when you apply the brakes pedal, or you can set it to a speed not to accede. There is a high, medium and low level you can set for when you don't use the speed setting. I like it so far.

Quick Reply: Has a Banks tuner or speed brake caused problems?