Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

94 93 IDI factory turbo how rare are they ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 11:48 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Originally Posted by Chevy_Eater
A pre-computer controlled semi can last over a million miles
not without major repairs they don't. you only get around 500k before you have to pull the heads off and overhaul them.

shops say today with the computer control and emissions are done @ 700K. (And it takes 10s of thousand of dollars to get that 700K out of them.)
those shops should not be serving trucks then .i know of over 50 computer controlled big trucks with over 800k miles on them that had nothing more than valve jobs done on them, just like with the pre computer trucks.

it is the trucks that do not get maintained that fall apart.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:50 PM
SEH43
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree w/ChevyEater, the older will go forever. My first job was driving off hwy log truck, KW/a 200 cummins, 12' bunks averaged about 12,500 BF/load and never saw a paved road. We worked these trucks hard. when I left this truck had well over 1 million miles, the then current engine had about 400k and only used a qt of oil every 500 miles. I also agree w/TJC, the only reason this worked was due to a superior maintenance program.
That said I will never own a power stroke. Couldn't afford one. My IDI is much cheaper and easier to maintain.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:05 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I can really get a good deal on a PS but here is my point which I do not know if it is a point ? Conanski made the point the trucks of like 10 to 15 years ago had all military grade electrical components so they were really good. The new trucks have like much lower grade Chinese components for electrical ? I can't seem to get a Chinese big screen TV to last more than a year or 2 before one of those components fail because of poor quality, would not a truck be the same way and when the warranty runs out it can just have constant electrical issues because of poor parts quality?
Conanski says he goes to the junk yard because he does not trust the new Chinese parts ? Not only that China makes like all the electrical parts now and if we get cut off we are SCREWED!!!!

I have no problem with computer vehicles but do have a problem with the current political economic situation we are in in the USA and feel simple for the long term is way way safer unless we started making the stuff here again and bringing our jobs back home.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:16 PM
SEH43
Senior User
Realslowww- We, the US, have the ability to make anything we want, and do it better. I think it would not be long before what you need would be available. Besides if China cut us off, it would hurt their economy more tha ours.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:07 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SEH43
Realslowww- We, the US, have the ability to make anything we want, and do it better. I think it would not be long before what you need would be available. Besides if China cut us off, it would hurt their economy more tha ours.

This new generation is pretty dumb and it would take 10 to 20 years to spool back up manufacturing. I hate to tell you this everything is moving to Asia.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:20 PM
ConstantProject
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Realslowww
This new generation is pretty dumb and it would take 10 to 20 years to spool back up manufacturing. I hate to tell you this everything is moving to Asia.
I agree with the comment about the new generation. Instead of looking for answers themselves they usually want to be spoonfed, because looking for an answer is too hard... instead of fixing problems they rather pay, even for something so simple... SMH

Old 04-11-2015, 03:58 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
not without major repairs they don't. you only get around 500k before you have to pull the heads off and overhaul them.
Obviously it's not an assured thing, many don't make it that far so results will vary. Last time we had a pair of Cats, 3406, one ate a valve @ 956K. Its twin was at 1.5 mil when we sold it, but to be fair that one did have an overhaul on it.

Originally Posted by tjc transport
those shops should not be serving trucks then .i know of over 50 computer controlled big trucks with over 800k miles on them that had nothing more than valve jobs done on them, just like with the pre computer trucks.

it is the trucks that do not get maintained that fall apart.
Again, results will vary, we bought 5 new trucks in '07 and three of the five broke down on the way to be delivered. They ALL constantly broke down, usually due to electronics, for the first few years. Now that they're old and have some miles on them they've finally become reliable, but I have some drivers that lost a lot of hours thanks to those trucks. Tens of thousands of dollars to get them that way.

Just had to replace an injector harness on one, over $6,000, 90% of that was labor because the head comes off to do the harness. Lame.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:02 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
no it isn't.it's an opinion.0% insult intended.
Well, it can be an offensive opinion anyway to imply that we lack knowledge and that we have a 'fear of the unknown', because that's just far from the truth.

However, I did not mean that post to sound like I was dumping on you personally, which it did so I apologize, I meant it towards the whole argument against those of us that prefer reliability over computer control. I see that thrown around in a lot of forums, I just spoke up here.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:21 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Well, it can be an offensive opinion anyway to imply that we lack knowledge and that we have a 'fear of the unknown', because that's just far from the truth.

However, I did not mean that post to sound like I was dumping on you personally, which it did so I apologize, I meant it towards the whole argument against those of us that prefer reliability over computer control. I see that thrown around in a lot of forums, I just spoke up here.
i can see how it could be taken with insult as well.for that i also apologize.
it's intent was simply to provoke thought for those who lack no experience with computer controlled engines and such.for those,fear of the unknown is most likely all that's holding them back from moving into newer vehicles.if that isn't you,then it's not directed at you.
as a whole,we're all going to have to at some point.there simply isn't enough old vehicles for us all to remain driving them.for many of us where they salt the road heavily,they become unsafe over time as they simply start to rot out.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:48 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru

Yaa there just the " Electronic Geeks ", they like to get chips, transistors and diodes mixed in with their metal when you don't need to.

What about the 5.9 Cummins second generation that has Direct Injection with a mechanical injection pump ?

Old 04-11-2015, 06:04 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
I am going to look at a 1994 IDI truck, how big of a deal can a small oil leak be ?

Old 04-11-2015, 07:28 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
depends on where it is. a leaking valve cover is nothing. a leaking oil pan is a big job.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:09 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Thanks TJC you are a real treasure.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:53 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
well, "a small oil leak" really does not tell us much.
without knowing where it is leaking from, no one can really answer the question past what i said.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:26 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
I bought a 93 with a utility bed , it does not have a turbo. Should I take the turbo off my 94 and put it on it. This 93 has 00000 blow by, the motor is so tight.

How much work is a turbo swap ?

With 2 trucks I should be able to make 1 deluxe truck.

Quick Reply: 94 93 IDI factory turbo how rare are they ?