6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

The BIG DZL Project: 500hp...1000tq...20mpg

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 01:26 PM
BIGDZL
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smoky_diesel
Sorry, meant 'rear' speakers not rear door. In my thread I have plotted the rear speaker signal frequency response, it's rolls off at 150hz (-3db point). so there will be basically no bass from them for the reason you stated. Didn't measure the front, but I think I will, becasue if it is 'full range' (which I doubt) it would solve our problem. the front speaker signals go to and from the amp so they are right there.

It is also possible that the filtering is done in the amp, although unlikley, but worth checking.
Right on, that's helpful. By full intended range, I mean a more desirable range for the 6x8...they will certainly be capped on either end, given the presence of a tweeter and sub. Will be very interested to see if the fronts reproduce a wider band...let us know what you find out. Here's hoping they reach 80Hz...they certainly sound much better/fuller than the rears when isolated.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:15 PM
BIGDZL
Freshman User
Color-matched Grille Surround

Took me a couple hours today (had to find proper new push-pins...amazing how something so small can delay a project!), but finally got the color-matched grille installed. You can see the Rigid DOT fogs properly in the images as well. Here are a few quick shots, plan to take better pictures without the shadows:

Old 05-07-2015, 04:52 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,054 Likes on 2,213 Posts
I like the change...I certainly noticed it right away.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:35 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by BIGDZL
Took me a couple hours today (had to find proper new push-pins...amazing how something so small can delay a project!), but finally got the color-matched grille installed.

Yes pretty much have to get plastic rivets from Ford directly.. couldn't find anything locally that would work properly. Looks good but makes me want to get rid of the chrome bumper(s) I have....

I would recommend cutting or getting a 2wd front plastic valance/air dam for looks but that won't help towards 20mpg.

Maybe some retractable AMP steps would reduce drag for better mileage?? This type of questionable logic sometimes helps justify $$$ spent with the wife, but usually not.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:27 PM
BIGDZL
Freshman User
Originally Posted by smoky_diesel
Yes pretty much have to get plastic rivets from Ford directly.. couldn't find anything locally that would work properly. Looks good but makes me want to get rid of the chrome bumper(s) I have....

I would recommend cutting or getting a 2wd front plastic valance/air dam for looks but that won't help towards 20mpg.

Maybe some retractable AMP steps would reduce drag for better mileage?? This type of questionable logic sometimes helps justify $$$ spent with the wife, but usually not.
I love it Questionable logic is a minimum requirement for almost everything we do to our trucks!

I was actually able to find a bulk pack of 1/4-inch push-pins that worked perfectly for the grille re-assembly. I'll be having to take it apart again once the Royalty Core is done...so I bought a few extra.

Aerodynamic drag and the vehicle's coefficient of drag are key components for fuel efficiency. Super Duty's score painfully low in both areas (Cd of 0.45)...but the silver lining is this means there is great room for improvement on the aero front. Along with the anticipated ~600+ pound weight reduction, aero is something I'm quite sure Ford engineers have been working on extensively for the upcoming 2017 redesign.

Won't be removing or reducing the air-dam. The under-body is a significant aero opportunity with regards to mpg...we're working on some creative experimentation in that regard. May or may not bear any fruit, but will certainly advise if we make any meaningful progress. The bed is another opportunity and the flush-mount BakFlip F1 made a significant difference on the order of ~1 mpg. Those various side parachutes we call mirrors and wheel wells are more big aero drag problems on these trucks, but they sure do function well for their intended purposes. Some avid hyper-milers claim that the mirrors alone can cost us 1+mpg. Everything is a compromise I suppose.

Amp steps are very popular, but not going in that direction. I use the steps all the time without the doors open and/or with the truck off. I am however trying to find a good-looking step that goes wheel-to-wheel on long-beds. Have found literally little to nothing on that front. Come to think of it...think I'll start a post about it to see if anyone has any ideas...

Old 05-10-2015, 12:46 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,553 Likes on 1,417 Posts
Your truck looks great!!

Old 05-13-2015, 09:03 PM
BIGDZL
Freshman User
Thanks much. Custom grille was just completed...update and images coming soon...

Old 06-28-2015, 12:24 PM
BIGDZL
Freshman User
Royalty Core Custom Grille Assembly

Seems there is some sort of edit time-out period on this forum, so we cannot go back and edit the OP to keep the build tracked, summarized and up to date in the initial post. Such a shame...so guess we'll just have to update with new posts and folks will have to search or read the entire thread to see everything. Latest update below...

One off custom Royalty Core RC1 Grille Assembly with polished Super Duty Sword Emblem. All hand built in the USA T304 stainless construction. 10.0 black polished mesh and triple chrome studs.

Few images in the sun...

Old 06-28-2015, 10:05 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good looking truck,I love the front end.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:49 PM
rockrig4x4
Freshman User
What a great thread. "My wife" just purchased a 2015 350 King Ranch and I was feeling pretty good about it until i see the lift and wheel combo on BIGDSL's rig. Now I feel a bit inadequate. Did the lift make the ride stiffer? I have to think more spring more stiff. I am very disappointing with the factory lights so some change will happen in short order. Will be installing an ARB modular front bumper so i suspect some lift or leveling kit will also be required. So I will have to tell the wife kits come front and rear. First diesel for me and I am loving it. Quite amazing the feeling of 880# torque WOW.
I will continue to keep up with this thread seeing as how it is exactly where my head is at.
Thanks to all for contributions
Rock

Old 04-25-2016, 07:54 AM
MG250
Senior User
Reading through this thread, I appreciate the updates and work done to date.
Have you started in depth on your quest for 500/1000 and 20 mpg yet?
I'm curious to see those mods and the outcome.