Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

The BIG DZL Project: 500hp...1000tq...20mpg

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The BIG DZL Project: 500hp...1000tq...20mpg

Old 04-23-2015, 08:42 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.
I didn't know that, but will try it - thanks for the tip!

Good luck and safe travels on your trip.. Looking forward to your report!

Old 04-24-2015, 11:01 AM
17 Oaks
Posting Guru
17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
Spot ON!!!!

My 1999 Class A DP motorhome weighed 26k and pulled a 10k trailer with no trouble and delivered 9MPG doing it. It had 275HP / 820TQ.

Now for those of us that don't need the p-nile extensions, we just need to find a tuner that will de-tune our rigs to produce only the power needed and return some fuel economy that is otherwise lost...
Here you see a picture of what my dually gave me yesterday afternoon. I have hand calculated the mileage on a couple of occassions and found it to within a 10th of an MPG to what the dash says.. Note that i played no games with resetting the MPG since the last fill up (1/2 tank ago)...
I'd sure like to be able to hit 18 MPG with this truck - but I don't think it will do it unless I oush it off a cliff...

Randy, exit out of Fuel Eco and go to Trips, should be at the top of the options list. There is a trip A and B you can toggle between. My trip A/B runs about 1 mpg less than my Fuel Eco mode shows.

As I understand the Trip mode provides the most accurate mpg as it takes gals used and miles driven to compute. Fuel eco uses some fuzzy math to arrive at the mpg. In fact I can get mine to show 99 mpg with no problem...

Old 04-24-2015, 02:43 PM
JM96F250
Senior User
JM96F250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002 View Post
Sorry dude but 1/2 tons tow 12k with out issue.

This looks like one of those " I dropped $65k on a truck and I still have $30k to blow on my mall cruiser." threads.

Every thing you posted as upgrades work against mpg for the most part. If you were really concerned, you'd loose the lift, tires, lower, remove the fluff and bought a truck with 2wd.

It amazes me how people just assume that the engineers at Ford ( or any mfger) are just fin stupid and don't have the slightest clue about efficiency and performance.
Nail. On. Head.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:54 PM
TK-Leather
New User
TK-Leather is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by JM96F250 View Post
Nail. On. Head.
I agree, I wish I had that much cash just to make a truck useless and look cool.

I have never understood the concept of buying a Diesel truck and jacking them sky high and putting swamper tires on them. These rigs are made to work.
If I had half the money most of these guys do I would just burn mine.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:39 PM
SavageNFS
Post Fiend
SavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputation

This looks like one of those " I dropped $65k on a truck and I still have $30k to blow on my mall cruiser." threads.

Every thing you posted as upgrades work against mpg for the most part. If you were really concerned, you'd loose the lift, tires, lower, remove the fluff and bought a truck with 2wd.

It amazes me how people just assume that the engineers at Ford ( or any mfger) are just fin stupid and don't have the slightest clue about efficiency and performance.
Originally Posted by JM96F250 View Post
Nail. On. Head.
Originally Posted by TK-Leather View Post
I agree, I wish I had that much cash just to make a truck useless and look cool.

I have never understood the concept of buying a Diesel truck and jacking them sky high and putting swamper tires on them. These rigs are made to work.
If I had half the money most of these guys do I would just burn mine.

Wow these statements are harsh. To each their own. I'll also say I replaced my 1/2 ton gasser because it didn't pull my aluminum trailer. It only weighs in at 8k loaded. Here's a pic so you can judge me too.

Truck suspension wasn't the issue, but the truck was gutless. It had a 5.3L and not a V-6. I also had it tuned, CAI, exhaust, and regeared. It just struggled to go over 60mph and 5-6 MPG on the highway pulling that box kite behind me. Feel free to flame me and tell me how your half ton can out pull my truck and get better mileage doing it though I thought this was a Ram thread for a minute...

Old 04-24-2015, 06:17 PM
92F350CC
Posting Guru
92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future
His mods are not all practical.

But there's one thing that's important.

His name is on the title, and it's also on the paycheck that goes into it.

Nothing else matters.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:28 PM
PlayersZ28
Posting Guru
PlayersZ28 has a brilliant futurePlayersZ28 has a brilliant futurePlayersZ28 has a brilliant futurePlayersZ28 has a brilliant futurePlayersZ28 has a brilliant futurePlayersZ28 has a brilliant futurePlayersZ28 has a brilliant futurePlayersZ28 has a brilliant futurePlayersZ28 has a brilliant futurePlayersZ28 has a brilliant futurePlayersZ28 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 92F350CC View Post
His mods are not all practical.

But there's one thing that's important.

His name is on the title, and it's also on the paycheck that goes into it.

Nothing else matters.
+1 on that.

Be damn horrible if everybody just drove their vehicles off the lot brand new and did nothing but gas & maintenance and then drove it back for the next one three years later.

I guess then all the threads on here would be discussing the optimum wiper blade to use in order to get that final .01mpg to get to the top of the heap.

If folks have extra money they want to burn rather than spending it on their toys then send it my way, if I get enough I can get a McLaren P1 or something so I don't have to use my dually as a daily driver.

Bigdzl, get the mods done and update how it goes

Old 04-24-2015, 06:41 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.
It's true - his truck and he's the only one he's gotta please...

Well unless he's married and I bet most of us know that drill.....

Old 04-24-2015, 07:00 PM
BIGDZL
Freshman User
BIGDZL is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
+1 on that.

Be damn horrible if everybody just drove their vehicles off the lot brand new and did nothing but gas & maintenance and then drove it back for the next one three years later.

I guess then all the threads on here would be discussing the optimum wiper blade to use in order to get that final .01mpg to get to the top of the heap.

If folks have extra money they want to burn rather than spending it on their toys then send it my way, if I get enough I can get a McLaren P1 or something so I don't have to use my dually as a daily driver.

Bigdzl, get the mods done and update how it goes
No worries...there's a $30 billion a year automotive aftermarket industry for a reason! Options mean every project can be unique and tailored to its owner. Will certainly keep updating as we go...love learning and seeing what others are doing.

It's true - his truck and he's the only one he's gotta please...

Well unless he's married and I bet most of us know that drill.....
This truck is actually named after my girl...she was one kick-**** volleyball player in college and used to out leg-press guys on the Football team...so they nick-named her Big Diesel!

Told her I wanted to get this truck and name it after her and she was all in!

Few shots out in the wild at one of our developments today...the fellas started horsing around saying the truck was too pretty and needed to be dirtied up a bit!

Hangin with some of our other big diesels

Old 04-24-2015, 07:20 PM
hollygreenman
Senior User
hollygreenman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gotta disagree here. I had '08 5.4. Sucked towing LESS than 12k. Had a '13 6.2. Sucked, just not as bad.

Might be able to tow 12k, but not without issue.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:51 PM
BIGDZL
Freshman User
BIGDZL is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
2015 OEM Exhaust System for sale

Selling 2015 OEM DPF-back exhaust system. Also looking to sell the Platinum grille assembly. Listing can be found here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15308732

Old 04-28-2015, 08:59 AM
TK-Leather
New User
TK-Leather is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by SavageNFS View Post

Wow these statements are harsh. To each their own. I'll also say I replaced my 1/2 ton gasser because it didn't pull my aluminum trailer. It only weighs in at 8k loaded. Here's a pic so you can judge me too.

Truck suspension wasn't the issue, but the truck was gutless. It had a 5.3L and not a V-6. I also had it tuned, CAI, exhaust, and regeared. It just struggled to go over 60mph and 5-6 MPG on the highway pulling that box kite behind me. Feel free to flame me and tell me how your half ton can out pull my truck and get better mileage doing it though I thought this was a Ram thread for a minute...

I dont see that yours is loaded with about 30k of useless junk to make it look all cool and then you drive it to get groceries, its not jacked up so high you need a two foot drop hitch so you can hook it to a trailer, so I see no problem with this whatsoever.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:22 AM
SavageNFS
Post Fiend
SavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by TK-Leather View Post
I dont see that yours is loaded with about 30k of useless junk to make it look all cool and then you drive it to get groceries, its not jacked up so high you need a two foot drop hitch so you can hook it to a trailer, so I see no problem with this whatsoever.
You should have drove it then. The truck was clearly too small. So I bought a truck that could handle it and made it look all cool.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:04 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Man - some of you guys are pretty harsh...

I'm Un-subscribing now...
Good luck with your journey Big!

Old 04-28-2015, 11:11 AM
darren32
Post Fiend
darren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputation
Man - some of you guys are pretty harsh...

I'm Un-subscribing now...
Good luck with your journey Big!
Don't let them ruin a good thread, just ignore them!
It's his truck and he can do whatever the hell he want to it.
Keep 'em coming BIG-D

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The BIG DZL Project: 500hp...1000tq...20mpg

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: