Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

The BIG DZL Project: 500hp...1000tq...20mpg

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The BIG DZL Project: 500hp...1000tq...20mpg

Old 04-11-2015, 06:32 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.
Bad Rodney... Bad bad bad!!! .

Nice toys!!!! Not wasting any time with the mods!

Old 04-11-2015, 06:33 AM
Karl4Cat
Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
Bad Rodney... Bad bad bad!!! .

Nice toys!!!! Not wasting any time with the mods!

LOL.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:35 AM
U235Fishin'
Senior User
U235Fishin' has a good reputation on FTE.U235Fishin' has a good reputation on FTE.
I am definitely interested in what you do to, and with, your truck. That being said, I can see me possibly doing only a couple of your punchlist items. But the automotive bling is really pleasing to the eye. The red in beautiful! If you can get 20 mpg average unloaded, what do you think you will get pulling your toys as compared to the stock truck?

Old 04-11-2015, 09:45 AM
BIGDZL
Freshman User
BIGDZL is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
Don't tell Andy Toth or his support group, but I see rusty tie rod ends....

Truck looks good sir. So what's with the three different boats? You have a collection or is it as Andre guessed?
Thank you. Good eye...so what are the best recommendations for quick-rusting under-body bits? Definitely going to address this...not looking to turn this into a show truck, it has to work, but that said, would be great to clean up those eyesores. Nothing wrong with keeping up your truck after you beat it down!

Boats are past, present and future...can only use one at a time you know

Originally Posted by U235Fishin' View Post
I am definitely interested in what you do to, and with, your truck. That being said, I can see me possibly doing only a couple of your punchlist items. But the automotive bling is really pleasing to the eye. The red in beautiful! If you can get 20 mpg average unloaded, what do you think you will get pulling your toys as compared to the stock truck?
Appreciate the luv...that's the idea...if one or two things work for you, go for it. The reverse upgrade is a cool one not many people think of, but makes a big difference for hitching-up and hauling.

Haven't hauled with it yet, but I'm guessing even if we can get to ~20 mpg, we'll still be at ~10-12mpg towing the boat. Got 17.5mpg calculated at 72mph cruise heading to Vero this past week (90-minute ride)...we're inching up! Truck has 2300 miles now.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:33 AM
SavageNFS
Post Fiend
SavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
Don't tell Andy Toth or his support group, but I see rusty tie rod ends....

Truck looks good sir. So what's with the three different boats? You have a collection or is it as Andre guessed?
ROFL...mine has them too. I think I'm going to complain to my dealer . They should have rusted in only 80k miles

Old 04-13-2015, 03:44 PM
Glittle
Senior User
Glittle is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by BIGDZL View Post
"I dynoed my truck this past saturday. I am still waiting on the dyno graphs which I will post up later but I wanted to fill everyone in with the results. For the dyno testing we felt that to get the most accurate results we would dyno mikes intake, the afe intake, and then the stock intake.

Here are the peak hp and tq of each intake:

Peak Hp
Stock-442
Afe-444
No Limit-451

Peak Tq
Stock-1027
Afe-1044
No Limit-1058

As you can see the no limit has a pretty good gain over the afe. But what was really impressive was when we started breaking the tq numbers at a given rpm.

At 1600 rpm (Tq)
Stock-386
Afe-448
No Limit-512

At 1700 rpm (Tq)
Stock-515
Afe-571
No Limit-663

At 1800 rpm (Tq)
Stock-693
Afe-748
No Limit-825

At 1900 rpm (Tq)
Stock-872
Afe-931
No Limit-942"
I am interested in this info. Do you have the data pulled together yet? Those numbers do look impressive enough to get an aftermarket intake (which I had decided against previously). These dyno run results are just from swapping out from one intake to another?

Old 04-16-2015, 06:06 PM
BIGDZL
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Glittle View Post
I am interested in this info. Do you have the data pulled together yet? Those numbers do look impressive enough to get an aftermarket intake (which I had decided against previously). These dyno run results are just from swapping out from one intake to another?
These numbers are from Bigrpowr... Aka Mike Dillahey and the man behind No Limit Super Duty bits. He indicated that these variations are indeed from CAI swaps only.

On another note, had a one hour stint at 55mph on a recent road trip and the truck managed some pretty astounding fuel efficiency...

Old 04-16-2015, 07:22 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.
Did you reset that after you were already rolling 55?

I reset mine at the fuel pump and don't touch it for 700 miles or so (I carry 86 gal) and have never seen anything higher than 19. When acceleration and idle are factored in I'd like to see what it would be. I'm usually at 17 unloaded and 10-12 towing at 700+ mile averages at 70mph.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:05 PM
BIGDZL
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ruschejj View Post
Did you reset that after you were already rolling 55?

I reset mine at the fuel pump and don't touch it for 700 miles or so (I carry 86 gal) and have never seen anything higher than 19. When acceleration and idle are factored in I'd like to see what it would be. I'm usually at 17 unloaded and 10-12 towing at 700+ mile averages at 70mph.
Reset at the gas station at fill up (36 gallons)...rolled out and cruised with no further stops at 50-60mph (traffic variations), but mostly 55mph for about an hour. Still, looked down and was quite surprised to see her holding steady ~22mpg on a full tank...no passengers, but even had a couple hundred pounds of cargo on board. This was all freeway for just an hour, not all-around driving...but was still pleasantly surprised...so much so that I decided to snap a picture!

At the rate I was going, I'd have gotten 700+ miles on 36 gallons! Would have been interesting to be able to keep going at that pace and calculate true mpg at the next fill up, but I would have had to drive nonstop through about three more states... This truck outlasts the driver

Old 04-16-2015, 11:14 PM
Painted Horse
Postmaster
Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.Painted Horse has a spectacular reputation.
When I bought my 2011, I drove up to Jackson Hole for the weekend. It's all two lane roads from Utah to Jackson, So I was driving 60-65 mph for almost all 300 miles up and the return 300 miles coming home. I got 22 mpg going up and 23 mpg coming home, I attribute the better mileage on the return trip to loss of elevation. ( coming downhill)

So yes, if you keep the speed down, drive at a constant speed, with almost not stopping /starting. You can get very good mileage

Old 04-18-2015, 03:10 AM
ngng
Elder User
ngng has a good reputation on FTE.ngng has a good reputation on FTE.
Right on. HID's are a solid headlight upgrade until LED improves. Been hearing good things about Lifetime LED bulbs:
https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/pr...ory/headlights

And since you tow...I highly recommend the 3000 lumen Rigid Dually reverse upgrade...you would love'em going backwards...they turn night into day!

This might be helpful regarding intakes and exhaust...The legend that is bigrpowr sent these dyno numbers recently to illustrate the difference a good CAI can make...the numbers speak for themselves, especially when looking at the lower register...
hids in housings not designed for hids are horrible, sorry to break it to you. if you want good, clean light output you need projectors...xenon projectors.

intakes, exhausts (aside from dpf delete), it's all fluff. i can understand cosmetic mods, but what i see if a lifted truck, oversized tires with some light mods

Old 04-18-2015, 02:42 PM
superrangerman2002
Postmaster
superrangerman2002 has a great reputation on FTE.superrangerman2002 has a great reputation on FTE.superrangerman2002 has a great reputation on FTE.superrangerman2002 has a great reputation on FTE.
Absolutely and thanks much for the welcome...the possibilities are truly endless with these rigs!

Towing capacity for this particular 3:55 truck as configured is 14,000lb, so consistent work at 12,000 will prove hard work enough...

Here is Ford's SD towing chart...which I'm sure has been posted countless times, but is still useful as reference...
2015 Ford Super Duty | View Towing Specifications | Ford.com
Sorry dude but 1/2 tons tow 12k with out issue.

This looks like one of those " I dropped $65k on a truck and I still have $30k to blow on my mall cruiser." threads.

Every thing you posted as upgrades work against mpg for the most part. If you were really concerned, you'd loose the lift, tires, lower, remove the fluff and bought a truck with 2wd.

It amazes me how people just assume that the engineers at Ford ( or any mfger) are just fin stupid and don't have the slightest clue about efficiency and performance.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:16 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.
I don't disagree with a lot of what you posted super, but, let's be realistic. Ford engineering is governed by mass marketing and mass production. I really think that the design of these SD trucks in terms of economy (aero and engine) is severely constricted by the marketing and reduction cost teams. The epa pretty much controls the engine emissions to the point that ford engineers are confined between a rock and a hard place.

There is zero reason for a 425hp Diesel engine in a 1 ton pickup. The big power is pure marketing. I really think that if the engine designers didn't have to publish "class leading power" they'd give us 350hp max and much more mpg than we have now.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:03 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by ruschejj View Post
I don't disagree with a lot of what you posted super, but, let's be realistic. Ford engineering is governed by mass marketing and mass production. I really think that the design of these SD trucks in terms of economy (aero and engine) is severely constricted by the marketing and reduction cost teams. The epa pretty much controls the engine emissions to the point that ford engineers are confined between a rock and a hard place.

There is zero reason for a 425hp Diesel engine in a 1 ton pickup. The big power is pure marketing. I really think that if the engine designers didn't have to publish "class leading power" they'd give us 350hp max and much more mpg than we have now.
Spot ON!!!!

My 1999 Class A DP motorhome weighed 26k and pulled a 10k trailer with no trouble and delivered 9MPG doing it. It had 275HP / 820TQ.

Now for those of us that don't need the p-nile extensions, we just need to find a tuner that will de-tune our rigs to produce only the power needed and return some fuel economy that is otherwise lost...
Here you see a picture of what my dually gave me yesterday afternoon. I have hand calculated the mileage on a couple of occassions and found it to within a 10th of an MPG to what the dash says.. Note that i played no games with resetting the MPG since the last fill up (1/2 tank ago)...
I'd sure like to be able to hit 18 MPG with this truck - but I don't think it will do it unless I oush it off a cliff...

Old 04-23-2015, 08:37 AM
BIGDZL
Freshman User
@ Big-Foot...you might know this already, but if you hit the right arrow on your steering controls while on the Fuel Economy screen, it'll switch from instant mpg and give you options for your trending last 30-minutes of fuel economy (along with 5 and 10). I'm keeping an MPG spreadsheet, so I only reset at fill-up, but this menu gives a good running tally.

Heading out to the land in Colorado...4000 mile round-trip should be a good litmus test. Looking forward to learning more about the truck overall on this road trip. We've made a few more changes and will post pictures shortly...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The BIG DZL Project: 500hp...1000tq...20mpg

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: