1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission sticks in frist, second or third

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 12:11 PM
zrone90
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission sticks in frist, second or third

2015 F 250, less then 5k miles. When towing travel trailer, weight 7500lbs, on occasion transmission will not shift out of gear. Happens in first, second, or third. Very intermittent. Take off from a stop engine goes to 6k rpm. Let foot of the throttle goes all the way back to idle, still no shift. Accelerate back up to speed still will not shift. After doing this a couple of times finally shifts. Have had this happen in second and third. Not a lot of fun with cars behind you or trying to merge on highway. No codes
First trip to Ford dealer they re calibrated computer. Still happened towing.
Second trip to dealer they put a flight recorder on it and I towed again. Did not hang up in first or second ,but would not shift out of third on highway doing 70mph, even when I lifted from the throttle and coasted. I finally shifted to manual and shifted to fourth and was able to upshift After reading flight recorder mechanic said it appeared normal. I explained that having to shift the transmission manually is not really normal and they agreed. They were going to contact Ford for some ideas how to fix this. My question is has anyone heard of this. I search this forum and the web and have not seen this problem. Any help I can bring to the dealer would be appreciated.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:43 PM
tscaud1
Freshman User
Same problem when I tow a 7000# boat. First to second is normal but, I can't get it to hit 3rd. This is going up hill too. 2015 F250 with 3600 miles. Haven't tried the manual shift yet . Don't know much about it. Might be the way around this. Didn't find anything in the towing forum about this.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:43 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried another dealer? Also in some cases you may have to bring the truck loaded and take the tech on a road test.

Something is not right, Take it back asap.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:22 AM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Do both of you have 6.2's from the op's post I'm going out on a limb and guessing his is a 6.2 if it's turning 6k rpm's. I know the computer won't let the psd rev that high. Just wondering if you have that in common. Does it only do it with the trailer, and are you using tow/haul mode, or does it do it weather you use tow /haul or not. Agreed something's not right. Hopefully Crystal from ford service will be along to help you guys out.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:57 PM
tscaud1
Freshman User
I do have a 6.2. I don't rev it past 4.5 and it's in tow mode. This only happens while towing. I have tried backing off to let it upshift but it stays in second all the way up the hill. Going from a 02 7.3 to a 15 6.2 , I've had to rethink how a gasser is different from a diesel. Had the 15 for 5 months, so still figuring it out. Will try manual next time.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:46 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Also try a short test of towing it without using tow/haul mode. Maybe something hosed in the trans settings for tow/haul?

Old 08-12-2015, 10:49 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tscaud1
Same problem when I tow a 7000# boat. First to second is normal but, I can't get it to hit 3rd. This is going up hill too. 2015 F250 with 3600 miles...
Hey tscaud1,

Send your info over to me in a PM; I want to get this shifting issue on the radar of your regional customer service manager. When writing, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll take it from there.

Crystal

Old 08-13-2015, 07:17 PM
tscaud1
Freshman User
Info has been sent, thanks

Old 08-14-2015, 08:46 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Info has been sent, thanks
I saw your message in my inbox this morning, tscaud1; I'll send you a reply as soon as I can.

Crystal

Old 08-14-2015, 11:08 AM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I've had my 2011 6.2l hang up in second ocassionally. It'll rev really high then slam into third really hard. Has done it maybe 5 times over the years, the latest being two days ago. Just normal driving; not towing anything. Have never bothered to have the dealer check it out.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:17 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Give me an analog automatic or stick shifted transmission any day over this electronic BS, automobile industry wide, not just Henry. The 5R110W and this 6R140 do not impress me at all (sorry mark no disrespect). They might be tough but neither impress me with the shifts. I regularly manually shift the 6R. Dam thing up shifts into 2nd at like 2 mph. Just pulling up my short driveway it grabs second just before I stop, hate that. Id hate to plow with this rig in auto mode. Burn out 2nd in a hurry. 2nd shouldn't come in until at min 10-12 mph at light throttle... IMO. Sometimes 2-3 is very harsh and I like a firm shift. If you dont come to a full stop at a sign and roll through it bogs like it doesnt know whether its in 1st or 2nd, and it doesnt, what a giant turd. Seems to have a mind of its own unlike my other 2 vehicles with automatics with a TH400. Always predictable, always provides me with rubber on 1-2 and 2-3, always up and downshift exactly the same warm or cold....lol. Give us an Allison or an Eaton in our SDs!
Several friends with HD GMs have 4L80Es or Allisons, never seem to have a problem at least not with their transmissions. Each brand has its own quirks I suppose. Some day the engineers will actually listen to the buying public. Im thinking of doing what Johnny Cash did and bolting the best of GM, Ford, Dodge, etc... all together in one truck... one piece at a time.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:59 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
From the description it sounds like tow/haul is working just as it should.

Pulling a trailer it's going to hold lower gears when you're pulling hills in an effort to avoid shifting around. This prolongs the life of the transmission because you're not going back and forth between two gears.

I do have a 6.2. I don't rev it past 4.5 and it's in tow mode. This only happens while towing. I have tried backing off to let it upshift but it stays in second all the way up the hill. Going from a 02 7.3 to a 15 6.2 , I've had to rethink how a gasser is different from a diesel. Had the 15 for 5 months, so still figuring it out. Will try manual next time.
Definitely think your truck is operating as designed. The 6.2 doesn't have a fantastic amount of low-end torque, and you will see 5,000+ RPMs maintaining speed up a hill with a decent sized trailer on the back. That's completely normal and operating as designed, it doesn't hurt a thing. Lifting throttle mid-climb would traditionally cause the transmission to upshift, then immediately downshift when you apply more power to hold your speed. These transmissions are programmed to avoid this, that's what tow/haul does.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:09 PM
dirtymutt
Senior User
It sounds like the crummy factory tow haul programming. Mine is the same it hangs on to the gear way to long and then if you lift off the gas it thinks you want to maintain/slow down so it holds the darn gear still. Try pulling once without tow haul engaged and I bet it will shift and act more normal. I've stopped using tow haul in the city I just activate it when I'm on the highway.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:30 PM
tscaud1
Freshman User
After PMing Crystal, from Ford Service, I got a phone call from Frank from Ford service. He had me call the dealership(Lynch Ford) and ask for Jeff Krogman. They were expecting my call. Took the truck and boat in , Jeff had a tech go for a ride with the laptop plugged into the truck. Went to the same hill I had problems on. The tech was watching to see if the computer was calling for an upshift and the transmission was not shifting. Got the tach up to 5.5, computer called for a shift, transmission shifted. Problem- driver(me) driving it like a PSD. When I got the tach to 5.0, the tech said to keep into it because it was still accelerating. 5.5 it made a smooth shift. Pulled the boat the next day, drove the truck like a gasser and was impressed.
Something else that was impressive was Crystal chiming in, Frank calling me, Jeff expecting me, and the tech, who not only works on them but, owns a 6.2 and pulls a trailer.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:17 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
After PMing Crystal, from Ford Service, I got a phone call from Frank from Ford service. He had me call the dealership(Lynch Ford) and ask for Jeff Krogman. They were expecting my call. Took the truck and boat in , Jeff had a tech go for a ride with the laptop plugged into the truck. Went to the same hill I had problems on. The tech was watching to see if the computer was calling for an upshift and the transmission was not shifting. Got the tach up to 5.5, computer called for a shift, transmission shifted. Problem- driver(me) driving it like a PSD. When I got the tach to 5.0, the tech said to keep into it because it was still accelerating. 5.5 it made a smooth shift. Pulled the boat the next day, drove the truck like a gasser and was impressed.
Something else that was impressive was Crystal chiming in, Frank calling me, Jeff expecting me, and the tech, who not only works on them but, owns a 6.2 and pulls a trailer.
Thanks for sharing your outcome with us, tscaud1! Be sure to let me know if there's anything I can help with in the future.

Crystal

Quick Reply: Transmission sticks in frist, second or third