Help me spend my money on upgrades!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 11:49 PM
bigboisteiny
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me spend my money on upgrades!!

Hi all, got money in my pocket so help me spend it

Some background on my rig, I bought a 2001 V10 4x4 excursion last summer. It had 126xxx miles. It had the usual wandering problems, which I expected. Also came with 35 inch tires and slight lift. Everything else checked out between the ford dealership and my mechanic that takes care of my ford ranger. Currently have 134xxx.
I did a V/B code swap with brand new springs from Ford, installed hellwig rear sway bar, and replaced front sway bar and end link bushings with energy suspension parts. Also installed 33 inch michelin LTX around 18 inch LRG rims with 4.5” BS. It fixed my wandering problems for a bit. Then a couple of problems appeared. I heard loud popping noises around front driver’s wheel for about a week 24 hours after install. Then it went away. Now it handles the same as when I first purchased it last summer. I put about 500 miles on the upgrades since install. I think the loud popping noise is a failed ball joint. The previous owner didn’t change spark plugs at 90k so I had one shoot out at 133k two weeks ago. Helio coiled the one and replaced all others. So I’m thinking the previous owner didn’t do ball joints either. I want to use the Dynatrac prosteer BJ DA60-2X3050-A since I have 33s with plans to go back to 35s someday. I originally wanted to use MOOG but I hear their quality control has gone down since federal mogul bought them. I also heard from a guy at work that if the ball joints are getting replaced, the u joints by cv shaft should also be replaced. I have no idea what he is talking about. Help please.
The new front driver’s leaf spring also squeaks. I read it might need break in but my local mechanic says it was failed after install. Since it’s a Ford OEM I don’t think it failed that quickly. Any suggestions for fix or upgrade for leaf spring?
The V/B swap, and sway bar upgrades was supposed to cure wandering problems. I am assuming since those parts got fixed, the marginal parts that were left in the truck failed. I don’t want my truck to spend a whole lot of time in shop, so I want to buy all parts that contribute steering wander and I feel vibration in front end at speeds over 60 mph. Goal is to replace parts at the same time it. I don’t want to be chasing problem anymore. Here is my best guess on what to upgrade and replace with OEM part if no upgrade available.
I know for sure the steering dampener is shot because it leaks. I was going to replace with Bilstein 24-158848 Monotube Steering Damper, Front 46mm.
I assume steering box is shot or on its way there. I am going to replace with Red Head steering box. Any wear items I should be thinking about replacing while their?
I am replacing the steering link stuff with all MOOG parts. Moog ES3422S Steering Center Link Tie Rod End, Moog ES3426S Steering Center Link Tie Rod End, Moog ES3423 Tie Rod End, Moog DS1439 Steering Center Link Tie Rod End, Moog DS1438 Tie Rod End, Moog ES3427T Tie Rod End. I know I contradicted myself from earlier MOOG quality statement. Is this the right way to go or not.
I’m not positive that the wheel bearing and hub assembly are contributing to problem. If I have to replace, is a Timken 515020 Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly the right choice?
Also not sure if rotors are causing vibration problem. Looking into upgrading with Hawk Performance HB302Y.700 LTS Brake Pad, Power Slot 126.65086CSL Slotted Brake Rotor, Power Slot 126.65086CSR Slotted Brake Rotor. I think the rotors are cyro also. Also wanted to change out brake caliber pins and install stainless steel brake lines while I’m there. Any other suggestions for brake line manufacture?

Are there any other wear items I missed around the 134xxx marker? Thanks for the help!