Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today is the day........

Old 02-25-2019, 12:50 AM
Chad149
Deplorable
Chad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by fordmantpw View Post
Update on the furnace in the new RV: worked like a champ today. We were in and out multiple times and it worked without a hitch. Who knows. I'm likely going to replace the thermostat anyway as we don't like what's in there.

But, now the fireplace doesn't work, but ONLY when the furnace is running. I noticed the fireplace wasn't blowing any heat (but the 'flame' was still working), even though I had it set on high. So I turned it off and back on, and when I did, I noticed it said it was 94 degrees. Well, it wasn't 94 degrees in there, and the fireplace thermostat was set on 72. So with the fireplace completely off and the furnace running, I could feel warm air coming out the top of the fireplace. My guess is that the duct work to the vent in the bathroom right behind it has a leak of some sort, and it's letting heat out through the fireplace. The fireplace is sensing this and not turning the heat on. We went back in later after the furnace was off for a while and the fireplace worked like it should.

Ugh! Why can't they make anything decent! The quality of the trailer is great, but the substandard components used inside need some help.
My furnace worked fine the first season, but quit lighting late in the second. I didn't hear the "tick-tick-tick" of the ignitor, but could smell propane (this told me the sail switch was working). I threw a control board at it since i could change that easily to no avail. Once i pulled the furnace and disassembled I found the air gap for the ignitor was way too big, so much so it couldn't spark the gap. Adjusted it, bench tested to confirm and reinstalled. Was good all last year, I'll try it again in another month or so.
The RV fireplaces aren't super accurate and don't play along well with the furnace in my experience. It's best used on cool days where just a little something is needed to take the edge off without having to listen to the furnace run. My monitoring of the GD bookface pages tells me they fail occasionally as well though. Mine came unplugged at some point last year, I pulled it to measure the depth of the cabinet before ordering a new one (was looking at home level units that were a bit deeper) and found the problem.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:57 AM
Karl4Cat
Post Fiend
Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
It's typical RV growing pains Tom. You'll get through it, but it's going to be annoying for sure... Are you going to try and address this latest one yourself or have the dealer handle it?

Old 02-25-2019, 06:00 AM
fordmantpw
Posting Guru
fordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Chad149 View Post
My furnace worked fine the first season, but quit lighting late in the second. I didn't hear the "tick-tick-tick" of the ignitor, but could smell propane (this told me the sail switch was working). I threw a control board at it since i could change that easily to no avail. Once i pulled the furnace and disassembled I found the air gap for the ignitor was way too big, so much so it couldn't spark the gap. Adjusted it, bench tested to confirm and reinstalled. Was good all last year, I'll try it again in another month or so.
The RV fireplaces aren't super accurate and don't play along well with the furnace in my experience. It's best used on cool days where just a little something is needed to take the edge off without having to listen to the furnace run. My monitoring of the GD bookface pages tells me they fail occasionally as well though. Mine came unplugged at some point last year, I pulled it to measure the depth of the cabinet before ordering a new one (was looking at home level units that were a bit deeper) and found the problem.
Unplugged...at least it was an easy fix! I follow the GD page as well, and I've noticed several fireplace issues as well.

I'm likely going to pull it to see what's behind it to see if I can find anything obvious. How difficult was it to pull it? It didn't jump out at me yesterday in the couple minutes I spent looking at it.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:08 AM
Karl4Cat
Post Fiend
Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
I imagine removal is very simple. Could just be a bad unit that needs replacing or maybe you're right and heat from the furnace is throwing it off. You could always try running it with the furnace off first to eliminate that possibility.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:43 AM
fordmantpw
Posting Guru
fordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
I imagine removal is very simple. Could just be a bad unit that needs replacing or maybe you're right and heat from the furnace is throwing it off. You could always try running it with the furnace off first to eliminate that possibility.
Yep, seems to work fine with the furnace off. We haven't run it for more than 10 minutes or so without the furnace though.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:47 AM
Karl4Cat
Post Fiend
Try running it for longer. Perhaps it has a high limit switch like a furnace which might be defective and is shutting down the fireplace because it thinks the element is overheating? Just spitballing there.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:54 AM
golfmedik
Post Fiend
golfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputation
Mornin' Rodney!!! Cool at 29*, but the sun is out for a second day in a row!

Old 02-25-2019, 07:00 AM
Karl4Cat
Post Fiend
We got your wind up here today buddy but it's 32...

Old 02-25-2019, 07:45 AM
fordmantpw
Posting Guru
Try running it for longer. Perhaps it has a high limit switch like a furnace which might be defective and is shutting down the fireplace because it thinks the element is overheating? Just spitballing there.
Good call. We'll give it a shot.

We got your wind up here today buddy but it's 32...
See if you can grab my trashcan as it blows by. Wow was it windy here this weekend! On the positive side, it dried up my mess of a driveway.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:12 AM
Chad149
Deplorable
Chad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by fordmantpw View Post
Unplugged...at least it was an easy fix! I follow the GD page as well, and I've noticed several fireplace issues as well.

I'm likely going to pull it to see what's behind it to see if I can find anything obvious. How difficult was it to pull it? It didn't jump out at me yesterday in the couple minutes I spent looking at it.
Mine was easy. The outer trim slid up 1"or so to come off, then four screws behind it. Only thing to hold you up then is the cord. On mine the extra cord was tie wrapped and the weight of it was hanging by the plug. I undid some more cord to allow the extra to lay on the floor, probably not a bad idea idea to check that if your going in there.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:58 AM
fordmantpw
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Chad149 View Post
Mine was easy. The outer trim slid up 1"or so to come off, then four screws behind it. Only thing to hold you up then is the cord. On mine the extra cord was tie wrapped and the weight of it was hanging by the plug. I undid some more cord to allow the extra to lay on the floor, probably not a bad idea idea to check that if your going in there.
Thanks for the info!

Old 02-25-2019, 06:25 PM
Postmaster
99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation
Hey guys..........just FYI............

To all my FTE friends that are on Facebook, I have deleted all my FB accounts and messenger accounts. So if you see something with my name on it.............NOPE!!!.................not me! Tired of hackers and all the BS!

Other than that, a very nice day here in sunny AZ! 60*F, light breeze, bright sun!
Have a great rest of the week. Later.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:35 PM
Karl4Cat
Post Fiend
I got rid of FB back in 2012 and have never missed it Don. Enjoy the break from that madness...

Old 02-25-2019, 06:41 PM
Ferguson65
Postmaster
Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.
Hopefully it's an easy fix Tom! Nothing like the excitement of a new camper, LOL. Either way still can't wait for our turn. We missed the Harrisburg RV show this past weekend, both sick. I'm still fighting it but getting better slowly. We are going to try to hit the greater Philly RV show this weekend. Our dealer doesn't do shows, but just want to see what else is out there.

Roy, good to see you on the mend!

The wind was brutal here today, lost half of a cedar tree. Good news is it was a tree that was most likely going to need to go for our new patio anyway, so now I have 2 excuses to cut the rest down! Even better news is that my shoulder is a whole lot better than last week. Nowhere near perfect, but useful at least. Definitely going to give PT a go.

Anything new in the world of Rodney?

Old 02-25-2019, 07:07 PM
Karl4Cat
Post Fiend
Re-inspection on the house tomorrow from the original buyers. They had a couple nonsense items they wanted fixed. If they are happy, we sign papers and get a deposit. Will know which way things are going tomorrow night....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Today is the day........

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: