6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Today is the day........

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 06:48 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
I don't get that concern. It can only stretch so far until it's fully extended. At that point, it's pulling the pin. If the trailer leaves the truck, that's going to happen quick.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:51 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
The argument is that if the breakaway cable is longer than the safety chains (and connected in the same general vicinity as the chains), you could drag the trailer on the safety chains without actually pulling the pin on the breakaway switch.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:58 PM
System
Prolocutor
That's some interesting logic. I think if it's dragging by the chains, then friction of the hitch on the tar is slowing it down along with the truck braking as well. Plus the trailer brakes getting signal from the truck with the umbilical still connected. That said, every standard break away cable I've ever had has been longer than the chains including the one I just swapped. My take on a break away system always was, it's activated when the trailer is no longer connected to the truck at all. I guess I could be confused as usual though... LOL

Old 02-19-2018, 07:05 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
That was my take on it as well Rodney. One would hope that the trailer brakes would still function with the truck brakes. I just happened to read the owner's manual with the new G/N and saw their recommendations for setting it up, and that got me curious enough to look at some YouTube videos. I'm not concerned, but wanted to head that argument off before the cable police showed up with the weight police. They also don't want you to connect the breakaway on the hitch of the TV either because if the hitch falls off, it takes the breakaway with it. One could "what if" themselves to the point of never leaving the driveway if they really wanted to.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:07 PM
System
Prolocutor
A Country Boy Can Survive...

Old 02-19-2018, 07:08 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
And THRIVE!!!

Old 02-19-2018, 08:24 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,441 Likes on 937 Posts
Tyler looks really really good
We are happy with ours in our f150 after a year. Much happier with the durability of the katzkin vs the factory leather in my lariat.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:52 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 433 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
[left]

We just had -22F in my town a few weeks back...didn’t need to travel for that. I snapped a pic of my truck’s temp readout. Ran good till the diesel froze in the filter.
I recall snowmobiling that night, we get out as much as we possibly can because weird stuff like 70F this Wednesday happens, lol.

In other news, I just completed installation of Katzkin leather in my XLT truck. My fingers are raw after 8 hours of work, but the upholstery shop charges like $1200 to do this install. I’m very pleased with the result. The Katzkin leather seems to be much better quality than the standard Ford Lariat leather.
Looks awesome Tyler!

$1200 for a shop to do that? Jeez! That's a 4 hour job for a decent shop...no way they should charge near that. Had you lived closer, I would have helped...I worked my way through college in an upholstery shop. Love the work!

Old 02-19-2018, 08:58 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 433 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Can't starve us out and you can't make us run.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:03 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,995 Likes on 1,600 Posts
Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
That was my take on it as well Rodney. One would hope that the trailer brakes would still function with the truck brakes. I just happened to read the owner's manual with the new G/N andsaw their recommendations for setting it up, and that got me curious enough to look at some YouTube videos. I'm not concerned, but wanted to head that argument off before the cable police showed up with the weight police. They also don't want you to connect the breakaway on the hitch of the TV either because if the hitch falls off, it takes the breakaway with it. One could "what if" themselves to the point of never leaving the driveway if they really wanted to.
I put a D-ring near the tailgate on the deck for the breakaway cable to clip to.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:47 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
I put a D-ring near the tailgate on the deck for the breakaway cable to clip to.
For the bumper pull trailers, I hook mine to the receiver in the same holes as the chains. If my receiver ever falls off, I think I have way bigger problems to worry about than the breakaway brakes not coming on. For the G/N though, I suppose I could order two more of the puck mounted chain things from Reese to connect the breakaway in. I use the rear holes on mine for the safety chains, and hook the breakaway through the left one - just because that's what side of the hitch I'm on for locking the hitch closed and plugging in the electrical. I really don't want 4 of the chain pucks though.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:02 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,689 Likes on 2,748 Posts
Regarding the connection of the breakaway cable, I started a discussion on that a few months ago. It can be found here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ty-chains.html

I can't say that we came to any definitive conclusion, but it was an interesting discussion.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:42 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
I don't have much difference in length between the chains, the breakaway cable, or the 7 pin wiring. I keep everything off of the ground, and leave enough slack for full turns to either side.
As I said before, I never even gave it much attention before, as I figured the breakaway was there only for the instance where the chain breaks. When looking into it after reading about setting up the G/N (after I towed my new trailer home), that was when I read several comments and even saw some stuff on YouTube about NOT using the coiled cables. Well, they can kiss my hiney, because I have coiled on all three of my bumper pulls, and will have one very soon on the G/N. It is probably more important to make sure the 7-pin wiring is slightly longer than the safety chains, so that with the chains tight after a failed hitch, the trailer still has electrical signal from the tow vehicle.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:27 AM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Can't starve us out and you can't make us run.
Cause we're them ol' boys raised on shotguns...

As to the cable, folks should pay more attention to if the switch has rusted open than connection placement or cable length. When MorRyde did my IS/disc changeover, they pulled the pin to test the brakes and nothing happened. Said my switch was long shot based on amount of corrosion inside. Ah well. Anyways guys, check your switch from time to time...

I do have a curly cable on the 5ver too. Early in ownership that when it was almost new, the standard one would get caught under the corner of my hitch in tight corners and pull the pin. Man, was that a surprise... having the trailer drag you to a stop in an intersection. I zip tied it shorter but ordered a curly one shortly after. I hook it to my hitch and like Doug, if my 5th hitch breaks out of my bed, I've got bigger problems. This is why I also hook my bumper pull cables to my receiver hitch.

On last thing to note on the curled cables. Many trailer manufacturers are supplying them from the factory now. My BriMar dump came with one. I'm sure if there was even a HINT of a liability concern, that wouldn't happen...

Old 02-20-2018, 07:17 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
My Excursion has a loop in the bumper right above the hitch receiver to hook up the breakaway cable. Doug, not sure about your much newer truck, but seems like it should be there.

Quick Reply: Today is the day........