6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Today is the day........

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 12:39 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Steve (STOF-FORD), thanks for the tip on that campground. It's on my bucket list now!

I guess I've thanked you too many times already, it won't let me do it again.
Jim, You're welcome and no worries. We think it's really pretty neat to have folks to share those kinds of "finds" with who will appreciate them. We really don't have any family west of Wisconsin (other than our two boys) and none of our neighbors or in-the-flesh friends have any interest in camping or exploring at all. It's great that we've found some folks on line who do.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:52 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by sbryan
For the guy who has everything here is a must have (I'm thinking of you Rodney):
Shawn, I don't know if you are familiar with EarthRoamer or not, but if you've not been to their site, you should take a look. Here is the url:

EarthRoamer - The Global Leader in Luxury Expedition Vehicles

This is the ULTIMATE boon-docking machine in my opinion! Note, it's built on a F550 4X4 platform. If you look at the specs, they are truly amazing. 12000 AH battery bank (Yes, that's 12 THOUSAND, not 12 hundred), 5 240 Watt panels, 90 gals diesel, 90 gals water. It goes on and on. Base price on the LTS deluxe model is $438K!

Their factory is less then five miles from our house. My son took a tour there. Believe it or not, they are running full out and have a long backorder list.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:55 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by STOF-FORD
Jim, Thanks for sharing....that's our idea of boon docking.

I'm not certain exactly where you are but we stumbled onto a really wonderful NF campground in that area two years ago. It's called Firehole Canyon campground and it's in Ashley NF and the Flaming Gorge NRA. It's right on the north east corner of the reservoir. It's a few miles off Hwy 191 and about 20 miles out of Rock Springs, WY. As I say, we found it by accident late in the season and it was almost abandoned. Really neat views and fantastic campsites! It even has showers which I've not seen in an NF campground before. I just looked online and see that it is opening for the season next week. Here's a couple of pics from that site:
Was lurking through this thread, and wow, this is amazing. I just put it on our next stop down to Texas. That campsite looks super cozy....like it has everything you need....fire pit, scenery, shelter, and space!

Old 05-13-2017, 01:02 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Was lurking through this thread, and wow, this is amazing. I just put it on our next stop down to Texas. That campsite looks super cozy....like it has everything you need....fire pit, scenery, shelter, and space!
Byron, We agree! The funny thing is the camp host, who has hosted there for several seasons now, told us that the Forest Service keeps wanting to close it due to lack of use. They even tried to donate it to the City of Rock Springs! It's extremely quiet and absolutely stunning views, and as you said, great campsites. We really have never found anything like it before.

Just down the road a half mile from the campsite is a boat ramp and day-use facility. The only way we even found it was that we were driving across WY into UT with not a town in miles and my wife needed a potty, STAT! We drove past a NF campsite sign on the highway and decided that might be her best bet. We ended up staying a couple of nights!

Old 05-13-2017, 01:07 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Byron, We agree! The funny thing is the camp host, who has hosted there for several seasons now, told us that the Forest Service keeps wanting to close it due to lack of use. They even tried to donate it to the City of Rock Springs! It's extremely quiet and absolutely stunning views, and as you said, great campsites. We really have never found anything like it before.

Just down the road a half mile from the campsite is a boat ramp and day-use facility. The only way we even found it was that we were driving across WY into UT with not a town in miles and my wife needed a potty, STAT! We drove past a NF campsite sign on the highway and decided that might be her best bet. We ended up staying a couple of nights!
Steve, I love stories like this. My wife try to find the gems off the beaten path. We have found quite a few. I'll have to start sharing more. I just mapped your find and it's 9 hours from us. We will be heading down to Texas at the end of the summer and plan on making a stop there. You are definitely correct in that it is hard to find others who enjoy this stuff. The online community has made it easier. Even finding conventional RV parks has been a pretty fun venture. There are some really neat ones out there. I enjoy a resort once in awhile, but we avoid those usually.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:17 PM
sbryan
Lead Driver
Received 124 Likes on 114 Posts
Shawn, I don't know if you are familiar with EarthRoamer or not, but if you've not been to their site, you should take a look.
Steve, we have looked at the Earthroamers. Fellow up here had one for sale but the looking was all we could afford. I'd love to own one but they are a bit rich for this retiree's budget. Wish I lived close enough to do the tour, it would be fun to see how they put them together. I do agree, they are the cat's meow.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:15 PM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
I'm sure my use is heavier than average although it is what the RV was supposed to be designed for...
No, I can understand you thinking that but really RV's these days are meant for occasional use on long weekends or putting into a RV park where it sits for the rest of its life.

What are the OE axles? 6K? 7K? They'd still be worth a bit of coin used wouldn't they?

Old 05-13-2017, 03:23 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,197 Likes on 573 Posts
You're right about the average use thing Steve and that's a very good question on resale of the axles. They are 7k axles. I don't think they cost too much new though do they? I'm going to have a few things to sell to try and offset some of this cost when I get home. Well, who am I kidding. I'll be lucky if what I sell pays for fuel. But anyways, I'll have my Tuson Electronic Brake Control, my XFactor cross braces, my MorRyde HD shackles AND NEW BUSHINGS to go with, and perhaps the axles... which would be complete with hubs, springs, brakes, etc. All that to go with my aluminum stairs that will come off after I meet up with Tony in June...

"Rod's Gently Used RV Parts" will be my storefront name... Speaking of gently used, my gently used 2012 is still sitting on the dealer's lot 2.5 months later.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:24 PM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I told the HOA I would be moving the rig when I am finished working on it!!
If I had an HOA watching me I'd likely be run out of the neighborhood. Don't think I could live with the rules they have.

Originally Posted by HRTKD
Steve (STOF-FORD), thanks for the tip on that campground. It's on my bucket list now!

I guess I've thanked you too many times already, it won't let me do it again.
I did it for all of us.

Shawn, I don't know if you are familiar with EarthRoamer or not, but if you've not been to their site, you should take a look. Here is the url:

EarthRoamer - The Global Leader in Luxury Expedition Vehicles

This is the ULTIMATE boon-docking machine in my opinion! Note, it's built on a F550 4X4 platform. If you look at the specs, they are truly amazing. 12000 AH battery bank (Yes, that's 12 THOUSAND, not 12 hundred), 5 240 Watt panels, 90 gals diesel, 90 gals water. It goes on and on. Base price on the LTS deluxe model is $438K!

Their factory is less then five miles from our house. My son took a tour there. Believe it or not, they are running full out and have a long backorder list.
Earthroamers are a nice piece but not in my snack bracket either. I've seen a couple of the big units that look to be built on MAN trucks while in the SW, they are nice too.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:36 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28
If I had an HOA watching me I'd likely be run out of the neighborhood. Don't think I could live with the rules they have.

I did it for all of us.

Earthroamers are a nice piece but not in my snack bracket either. I've seen a couple of the big units that look to be built on MAN trucks while in the SW, they are nice too.
Steve, After 13 years in this house, the HOA, and my neighbors and I have come to an understanding. We have, by far, upgraded both the interior and exterior of our place more than any other house in the subdivision and everyone knows it. Our place is where all the big outdoor summer parties are held. And everyone knows, it they need something welded or plasma cut or anything else that involves an expensive tool, this is where they come. As a result, nobody says a word when I start a project like this in my driveway.

Thanks for the thanks!

Barring lotto winners, Earthroamers are way outside our range too. That said, sitting through the videos on their website, you can't help but say "that is exactly how I would do it if I could"!

Old 05-13-2017, 06:19 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,197 Likes on 573 Posts
Steve, something else we can do if you want to stop as you pass through IN. RV/MH Hall of Fame - Museum - Library - Conference Center

Old 05-13-2017, 08:27 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Steve, sounds like you have the HOA right where you need them. I'm sure anybody else would really be pushing their luck seeing that drone pic.

Rodney, I don't think the axles would be a tough sell. Either someone that wants to upgrade or somebody that bent them on an open trailer.

Earthroamers are sweet. Like the rest of you, my budget just won't float one either. Bet they aren't held together with staples and glue!

Got a break in the rain and permanently installed my water filters today. Sad to say the mounting bracket they came with flops like a fish out of water. Need to stiffen it up. Have ideas but we're hoping to be on the road by 1-2 Friday so I need a quick fix.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:30 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Howdy Y'all!

Rodney, lucky catch on the parts failure before they actually failed!

Old 05-13-2017, 10:02 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
My son is the treasurer of DUGS, the DU (University of Denver) Grilling Society. They are a university club that has their own mobile grill (I pulled it once with my F-350) and a 5 figure budget. They go to the tailgate parties and cook up tasty food and give it away. I think it is the university's way of getting food into a bunch of college kids that are drinking.

They scored a big win today. Here is his posting about it.

Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2017, 10:09 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Steve, something else we can do if you want to stop as you pass through IN. RV/MH Hall of Fame - Museum - Library - Conference Center
We need an RV/MH Hall of Shame.

Quick Reply: Today is the day........