6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Today is the day........

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 09:06 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 423 Likes on 136 Posts
That is a great idea to use the gray for the toilet! We have four tanks (front shower/sink, front black, galley, rear black), so it would work great with the front gray tank right there. My wife prefers full hookups so we don't have to try to conserve water (which is difficult with 3 kids anyway), so it likely wouldn't be much use for us, but I like it!

Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Cool idea for boon docking Roy. We don't do it enough to make it worthwhile but I can see where it would be helpful for a lot of folks that have two grey tanks as Joel mentioned. Our rig holds 150 of fresh water so we're rarely low though.
150 gallons of fresh water? Dang! I thought it took forever to fill, sanitize, drain, and refill our 36 gallon tank!

Old 04-10-2017, 09:09 AM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
My first thought on Toys idea was food waste issues as Joel pointed out. But I guess if you had just a shower gray tank it would work. Still probably want to install a strainer for any hair.

I've spent the last 2 weekends working on organizing the garage and cleaning out my toolbox at home. Font know if it's going back to work yet it not but it needed done either way.

Trying to talk the wife into dragging the camper to Hershey this weekend as her sister and in-laws want to go to the zoo with the kiddos. Guess I better get my *** in gear on those JT strongarms!

Old 04-10-2017, 10:38 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,987 Likes on 1,594 Posts
I have 2 gray water tanks: Kitchen and then shower/bathroom sink

We do Boon Dock quiet a bit....

I miss the 110 gallons in the Raptor..........I think it is 65 gallons in the Montana.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:15 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,185 Likes on 569 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmantpw

150 gallons of fresh water? Dang! I thought it took forever to fill, sanitize, drain, and refill our 36 gallon tank!
Sanitize? What is this strange alchemy you speak of? LOL...

Old 04-10-2017, 11:46 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Sanitize? What is this strange alchemy you speak of? LOL...
LOL! Honestly, I don't know why I bother because we don't drink the water from the tank, we take gallon jugs of water along for drinking.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:56 AM
System
Prolocutor
Yep, same here. I will drink it in a pinch though. With city water all being chlorinated these days, I think my tanks are self sanitizing...

Old 04-10-2017, 12:28 PM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
Here is an Idea that I stole for the 5th Wheel..........

Why don't we flush toilet with grey water instead of using precious potable?
Need other pump? How about my foot?
Change hoses around, ok!
If grey is empty, use a bucket from sink until got some. Better than low on drinking water.
Applies to boon docking, wally world lots, etc., so if you are always hooked up not an issue,

Mod to that.....A valve that switches from graywater source and fresh water source......
My limit boondocking is the black tank. Last winter we went 17days and still had room in the tanks & fresh left. The bathroom gray tank never gets much in it, kitchen gets most of the gray. I'd like to merger the bathroom gray and black tanks as that would give me more black space.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:29 PM
System
Prolocutor
Long time Steve!

Old 04-10-2017, 12:37 PM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back from the southwest now. Not even going to try to catch up thread reading

Was away for 96 days and was in parks for 48 days, boondocking the rest of the time. Solar system worked great, only had to run the genny once when we had 3 cloudy days in a row, my batteries were normally full before noon.

No issues with the truck or trailer. Thinking we'll downsize to a TT again. The fiver is bigger than we need and I'd like to be able to put an ATV in the truck box. Don't want a TH as I don't like the layouts of them and that just keeps me up at the same size anyway. If we sell the fiver and go to a ~30' TT I'll also get out of the dually and go to a gasser truck. Not much in savings on a diesel truck for a smaller trailer when the power isn't needed. I was paying quite a bit more for diesel this past winter than the gas prices.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:00 PM
System
Prolocutor
Well, the good news is you can start modding all over if you go that route Steve. I always found that the build was as rewarding as the end result...

Old 04-10-2017, 01:02 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Yep, same here. I will drink it in a pinch though. With city water all being chlorinated these days, I think my tanks are self sanitizing...
Likely true. But we're on well water here. Can't stand the taste of city water with all that chlorine in it!

Old 04-10-2017, 01:07 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 899 Likes on 325 Posts
We drink from the FW tank all the time. That's what its for. Used to drink the bottled stuff, but decided for us, that it is a waste of money. I sanitize once a year after having letting it sit all winter. We are on city water at home, but one place we camp we refill with their known well/spring water, otherwise every other place is city water as well.

Maybe instead of using gray water to flush with, we install a portable purifying system, and run the gray through a closed loop system back to fresh!

Old 04-10-2017, 01:53 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by djousma
We drink from the FW tank all the time. That's what its for. Used to drink the bottled stuff, but decided for us, that it is a waste of money. I sanitize once a year after having letting it sit all winter. We are on city water at home, but one place we camp we refill with their known well/spring water, otherwise every other place is city water as well.
We just buy gallon jugs, at about $0.79 each, we use about 4 per trip, which means we add about $3.50 to our trip cost. Added benefit, we keep one in the fridge so it's good and cold to drink!

Originally Posted by djousma
Maybe instead of using gray water to flush with, we install a portable purifying system, and run the gray through a closed loop system back to fresh!
I can already hear the big "NO! Gross!" coming from the misses on that one!

Old 04-10-2017, 02:14 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 899 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
We just buy gallon jugs, at about $0.79 each, we use about 4 per trip, which means we add about $3.50 to our trip cost. Added benefit, we keep one in the fridge so it's good and cold to drink!

I can already hear the big "NO! Gross!" coming from the misses on that one!

Tom, that would only happen if she knew! Or if you were delinquent on the filter change....hahahaha.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:21 PM
System
Prolocutor
Note to self, no getting a drink of water when visiting Dave's trailer at the campground...

Quick Reply: Today is the day........