6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Today is the day........

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 04:34 PM
sbryan
Lead Driver
Received 124 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
No back end skipping for me. This one has about the identical pin to my last which wasn't exactly a lightweight at 3k pin and 16k total. One thing I can say for certain after towing across OH in the wind and PA and WV in the hills.... There is no way in hell I'm upgrading to a DRW anytime soon! Tows just like my last one which is to say, like a arrow. The added couple of feet made no difference whatsoever and I was cruising at 70-75 with the big rigs all day today like it wasn't back there. So Andre my brother in silver, you were right again. Our little trucks are a lot more capable than most would imagine.
Sounds just about right to me. I was worried about my SRW at first and seriously considered a dually but am glad I stayed SRW. Have not regretted it. Since you've been here before I'm probably preaching to the choir but I assume you upgraded the tires from the cheap garbage they like to put on these rigs. Cruising at 70-75 is 10 over what my upgraded tires are rated for. I've done it, but I try to keep to 60-65 since that is what the tires are rated for. If you have LT tires, ignore me.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:51 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Karl4Cat you weren't but an hour at one point from where I live in Ohio and have the the Ohio Trucks meets that are posted in the Super Duty forum. Anyway nice truck and RV!

Old 03-31-2015, 08:12 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,186 Likes on 570 Posts
Shawn, am getting G614's mounted up when I get home like I had on my last rig... Figured the China bombs would get me home unloaded without a blowout at 10 over...

Mike, small world! Thanks for the kind words on the new setup....

One thing I forgot to mention is a brand new option that I was the first to order on my rig. It's the Tuson trailer sway control. It has a sensor mounted to the trailer and will pulse any of the six brakes to prevent sway from starting based on that sensor's readings. Check it out. It works...

Sway Control - DirecLink.com

Old 04-01-2015, 12:38 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On my dual tandem gooseneck trailer I considered the G614's but after further consideration opted for the Michelin XPS Rib. The G614 is for extremely heavy loads not moving as quickly. The 2800 lbs capacity in dual config was still way over the GVWR of the 20k lbs trailer. The 3400 lbs of the G614 was extreme overkill.

But the biggest thing that sold me on the Michelins was the 100 mph speed rating vs the max of 75 on the Goodyears. Pulling through parts of Texas in the summer with an 80 mph speed limit made me realize it would be a better idea to have a much higher ceiling. That would go double for an RV where a blowout can tear it up badly and has no tire next to it to help take up the slack.

None of this is to say the G614 is a bad tire or a bad choice. Just shedding a little light on how I made my decision. So far I've been very pleased.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:07 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
Rodney, take a look at the Sailun S637 tires. Yes, they are Chinese made but the only China tire maker to meet ALL of the US import and domestic tire specs. If you don't look at the name on the sidewall, you'd think they were the G614s. They are G rated tires just like the GY. I have the G614s on mine and I seriously considering the Sailuns the next time around. My partner at work just had them put on her Montana last week. Got them from NTB for $150.50 each. A substantial savings over the GYs. Every RV forum I belong to has had nothing but great things to say about the tires. Not trying to get you to buy them, just offering an alternative. Here is a pic of pone mounted up that we put on hers. Also, they weigh within a pound of the GYs at 62 pounds each. Heavy tires!
Name:  20150324_164955_zps7nbirzxq.jpg
Views: 3047
Size:  391.1 KB

Old 04-01-2015, 11:14 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
Rodney, take a look at the Sailun S637 tires. Yes, they are Chinese made but the only China tire maker to meet ALL of the US import and domestic tire specs. If you don't look at the name on the sidewall, you'd think they were the G614s. They are G rated tires just like the GY. I have the G614s on mine and I seriously considering the Sailuns the next time around. My partner at work just had them put on her Montana last week. Got them from NTB for $150.50 each. A substantial savings over the GYs. Every RV forum I belong to has had nothing but great things to say about the tires. Not trying to get you to buy them, just offering an alternative. Here is a pic of pone mounted up that we put on hers. Also, they weigh within a pound of the GYs at 62 pounds each. Heavy tires!
These are the tires that I will be ordering based on reviews of many fifth-wheel trailer owners here and on the web... What size did she get for that price?
I was looking at buying through Simple-Tire (will add the link in a bit) but the price you quote here is about $10 a tire less... Oh and there's $20 per tire shipping added to that...

---edit link and info::
http://simpletire.com/sailun-s637-tire-reviews

LT235-85-R16 is what I am looking at...

Old 04-01-2015, 11:17 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
These are the tires that I will be ordering based on reviews of many fifth-wheel trailer owners here and on the web... What size did she get for that price?
I was looking at buying through Simple-Tire (will add the link in a bit) but the price you quote here is about $10 a tire less... Oh and there's $20 per tire shipping added to that...
235/85/16......the G rated ones. She bought 5 and replaced her spare too as it was the original. Out the door for 5 tires was $863... That's what 2 of the GYs now cost around here They have a 110 psi rating, so make sure you have high pressure valve stems(metal) put in and also that your wheels also have a 110 psi rating. If I remember correctly, they have a 75 mph speed rating unlike the 65 for ST tires.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:25 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the G614's on my FW..

one question not answered. GY will cover damage to the FW from a tire failure. I don't think Sailun does that.

I've seen reports of some pretty steep repair bills. but maybe that is what the TPMS is for, extra attention to prevent the most common types of failures (low pressure, slow leak/nail).

also, can u really go 80 on the XPS Ribs? scary.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:30 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by sdetweil

one question not answered. GY will cover damage to the FW from a tire failure. I don't think Sailun does that.

I've seen reports of some pretty steep repair bills. but maybe that is what the TPMS is for, extra attention to prevent the most common types of failures (low pressure, slow leak/nail).

Sam, that was a great selling point when i bought my GY G614s as well. No, I do not think Sailun does that, that I've heard of anyway. I also run a TPMS system on my 614s. I like to know what they are doing. Towing any heavy weight like that at speeds over 70 in ridiculous. The only reason I run up to 70 is trying to avoid getting run over by all the other idiots on the road!

Old 04-01-2015, 11:33 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sam, that was a great selling point when i bought my GY G614s as well. No, I do not think Sailun does that, that I've heard of anyway. I also run a TPMS system on my 614s. I like to know what they are doing. Towing any heavy weight like that at speeds over 70 in ridiculous. The only reason I run up to 70 is trying to avoid getting run over by all the other idiots on the road!
thanks.. agree on the not getting run over. we take it up to 70, 75 in a pinch (pass someone of something).

wish I could find a reasonable way to put 16s and the XPS on my car hauler.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:35 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend

Having had Goodyear flip me the bird on hundreds of dollars worth of damage incurred from their China-Bomb Marathon tires, I will never have Goodyear tires mounted on any of my vehicles or trailers again... They would not even cover the replacement of the darned tires... Nope - not going there....

Old 04-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
235/85/16......the G rated ones. She bought 5 and replaced her spare too as it was the original. Out the door for 5 tires was $863... That's what 2 of the GYs now cost around here They have a 110 psi rating, so make sure you have high pressure valve stems(metal) put in and also that your wheels also have a 110 psi rating. If I remember correctly, they have a 75 mph speed rating unlike the 65 for ST tires.
Sounds good - and actually - I have an NTB not that far from me..... I don't see Sailun on their website, so I will give them a call instead...
Thanks!!!

Old 04-01-2015, 11:49 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Sounds good - and actually - I have an NTB not that far from me..... I don't see Sailun on their website, so I will give them a call instead...
Thanks!!!
Exactly what I to do. Very nice and professional salesman for a change. Great dealing with him.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:53 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Having had Goodyear flip me the bird on hundreds of dollars worth of damage incurred from their China-Bomb Marathon tires, I will never have Goodyear tires mounted on any of my vehicles or trailers again... They would not even cover the replacement of the darned tires... Nope - not going there....
Randy, the camping buddy of mine that has the '11 F350 with the oil leak, was going on vacation two hears ago and had 3 GY Marathon tires explode come apart. He then bought new ones at the campground and headed home from Destin. In Atlanta, he had one of the new ones come apart and caused $8,000 worth of damage to his TT. Absolutely destroyed the unit and cabinets inside. He will not buy GY tires anymore either. He now has seen that the Marathons and the 614s are miles apart as tires go.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:01 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
can u really go 80 on the XPS Ribs? scary.
Speed rated up to 100mph. Gives you much more cushion even if you're fine with puttering down the wide open and empty I-10 between San Antonio and El Paso at pleasure cruise speeds. A 120 (high E-rated) tire gives you more capacity than you'll ever need in a residential or consumer application. Even the worst designed trailers won't put G-rated loads on an axle.

G-rated is really the wrong application for our 5ers and goosenecks. They're about weight capacity for slow moving commercial use (wide load flags and all). Speed rating is about heat in the tires.

I'd much rather run 70 on blistering highways in a tire rated for 100mph than 70 on a tire maxed out at 75.

Quick Reply: Today is the day........