6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Today is the day........

Old 03-08-2017, 06:06 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj

While I've got you, keep an eye on your hitch. I know you don't use it much but I discovered a crack in the head so I'm back to running the big steel block. I will contact weigh safe to see what they say.
Wow, will do. Let me know how you make out!

Old 03-08-2017, 06:10 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Rodney, it is funny you mention the rebranded shocks as an example, because I was thinking the same thing while I was writing that response earlier, since it does say FoMoCo on it. Since they actually install speakers, putting in GOOD speakers shouldn't add much to the cost of the truck for them, or us.

Joel I don't carry nearly the tongue weight you do, nor run the miles you do, but I will keep an eye on my hitch as well, because it does get used frequently. That could get ugly in a hurry. Glad you caught that when you did.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:18 AM
System
Prolocutor
Joel, to confirm, you are over your rated limit on that hitch right?

Old 03-08-2017, 06:19 AM
System
Prolocutor
Doug, my body just woke up. I forgot how painful the next day was after doing car audio work! All the twisting etc plus the tips of my fingers are shredded. I'm hoping the advil gets me to the sub. If not, tomorrow is another day.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:26 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Doug, my body just woke up. I forgot how painful the next day was after doing car audio work! All the twisting etc plus the tips of my fingers are shredded. I'm hoping the advil gets me to the sub. If not, tomorrow is another day.
I am with you on that one Rodney. I can't fold myself up like I did a few years ago without having to deal with consequences the following day(s). I guess I'm getting old like Roy!

Old 03-08-2017, 06:49 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,940 Likes on 2,184 Posts
Great job Rodney...I'll bet it sounds great!

Joel, I have that hitch and you have got my full attention now. Keep us informed...

Old 03-08-2017, 09:19 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,940 Likes on 1,577 Posts
Stay at home parent most days... I'm a kept man.
Yippeeeeeee......

Old 03-08-2017, 09:24 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by ruschejj

While I've got you, keep an eye on your hitch. I know you don't use it much but I discovered a crack in the head so I'm back to running the big steel block. I will contact weigh safe to see what they say.
GOOD Catch Joel........that could of gotten messy........

Old 03-08-2017, 11:06 AM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
When I was younger, this would have been the first mod I did. I guess I'm getting older like Steve... Just not quite as old as I couldn't just leave it alone completely! LOL...
HaHa!! If you guys keep talking about this stuff, it's going to eventually make me THINK that I need to do something to the audio system, even if I can't hear the difference.

Rodney, with all the energy you're putting into your truck, you've shamed me into doing something today too! Unfortunately, I have to work on my truck outside as the pretend garage we have won't let it in. My F350 had to sit outside to. We've had awful wind here for three days now.

I'm going to install the replacement fitting box and the the 12-pin receptacle for the trailer TPMS and camera. I'll let you know how it goes. I have to work up the nerve to saw a 2" hole in the side of my truck bed!

Old 03-08-2017, 11:23 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by STOF-FORD
HaHa!! If you guys keep talking about this stuff, it's going to eventually make me THINK that I need to do something to the audio system, even if I can't hear the difference.

Rodney, with all the energy you're putting into your truck, you've shamed me into doing something today too! Unfortunately, I have to work on my truck outside as the pretend garage we have won't let it in. My F350 had to sit outside to. We've had awful wind here for three days now.

I'm going to install the replacement fitting box and the the 12-pin receptacle for the trailer TPMS and camera. I'll let you know how it goes. I have to work up the nerve to saw a 2" hole in the side of my truck bed!
PHOTOs..........

Old 03-08-2017, 11:34 AM
System
Prolocutor
I'll be interested in the box for sure Steve. As I said, I have a line on a OE TPMS and camera if your TPMS works with the GY's.

I'm underway on my sub. Got the factory box pulled. Driver out. Poly fill stuffing in the box. Now I'm on to Dynamating the outside of the plastic box to add rigidity before installing the new Pioneer driver. Then back in the truck. After that I'll revisit my energy level and see if I feel up to wiring the amp. It's sunny and 60 so it seems doable...

Old 03-08-2017, 11:39 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

I see that Rodney is taking Quilting classes.........

Old 03-08-2017, 04:08 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
OK guys, in an effort to follow Rodney's lead, I installed something on my new truck today. As most of you probably already know, when Ford added the trailer TPMS and trailer camera capability to the '17 SD, they decided to just put the additional 12 pin connector on the rear bumper, next to the regular 7 pin and replacing the mostly unused 4 pin trailer light connector.

That works fine if you're pulling a receiver hitch rig, but if you're pulling a 5ver or gooseneck, it's a problem. A couple of guys over on one of the other threads in the 17 SD forum developd a solution and ramped up to sell it very quickly. It is a box to replace the OE mount in the truck bed that let's you install the 12 pin connector there next to the 7 pin you use for your 5ver. They also are selling a wiring harness extension to allow the OE harness to reach up to the side of the bed.

I installed mine this afternoon. All told, it took less than an hour, and I was really taking my time. I had to enlist the aid of my oldest son to help with routing the wiring harness extension and making up the connection. His arms are much longer and not nearly as fat as mine. Otherwise not much of a problem.

Two quick notes, the instructions call for you to saw a 2" hole in the bed sidewall to provide clearance for the 12 pin connector. Instead of using a hole saw, which just sent ******* up and down my spine at the thought of cutting into my new truck, I used a 2" chassis punch like those used by electricians. It make a very clean, burr free hole and prevents any chance of a slip ruining your day.

The second is that you will note that the new box does not quite match the footprint of the OE unit. As a result, the factory spray-in bed liner outline leaves a painted area uncovered. I will have to have this touched up at Line-X. I am not going to fault the folks selling this product for that miss. I blame it on the fact that Ford chooses to mask and spray their factory bed-liner around all the bed fixtures instead of removing them and coating the entire bed like a Line-X aftermarket bed liner would be done. This just aggravates me to no end. As a result of Ford taking this approach all of my chrome factory tie downs are sprayed over and the Box Link connectors have bare paint exposed from behind them. Probably my only complaint so far. Here are pictures of the install:

Attached Images         
Old 03-08-2017, 04:12 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,940 Likes on 2,184 Posts
Looks good Steve!

Old 03-08-2017, 04:34 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,619 Likes on 2,728 Posts
At least your punch didn't have to go through bedliner and get all gummed up. Having said that, I'm not sure how that punch works. New tool to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Today is the day........