6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Today is the day........

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 07:41 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,194 Likes on 573 Posts
Thanks Tim. She's got 90HP so I'm satisfied... LOL. The 2013 Outlander had a measly 82 so this is a step up. In all seriousness though, the HP doesn't really make the difference. The ride is unreal, the seat is the most comfortable I've ever sat on, and the power steering is like nothing I've used. It will be great for utility work as I can hold on to the bars with one finger and steer easily. It also has a three mode fly by wire throttle. When in work mode, engagement is soft and buttery smooth. Put in standard and it's a more balance tip in. Put it in performance and it's ready to pull the front tires off the ground at just over half throttle. When considering the competition, the new Outlander has 91HP but the same rise and dive front suspension it's been plagued with for a decade. I'm also not a fan of their power steering or visco lock 4X4. What really brought me over from CanAm though was quality control issues. I know it's anecdotal but all three of my Outlanders have had bugs and all of those bugs have been known issues. It's surprising because SkiDoo is known to have the best fit/finish/quality in the industry but their quads don't seem to follow that pattern. Well, not in my experience anyways...

Old 05-12-2019, 08:01 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,626 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat

First mod is complete. All warning stickers removed... without reading first! LOL
Whaaaaaat????????? And here I thought I was the only one that did that!!!!!!!!! LOL

And BTW, nice quad.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:08 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
I thought an Outlander was a a mitsubitchy, well it is but was confused for a moment why Rodney would own a tin can car with 82 HP. Trying to keep up.......

Old 05-12-2019, 08:11 AM
System
Prolocutor
Thanks Don and yes... that's my favorite first mod. It's a one beer job with the heat gun or hair dryer and a little rubbing alcohol to clean up any remaining adhesive.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:43 PM
System
Prolocutor
Stopped up today after mother's day brunch. Found two changes since yesterday. Barn got framed up and snow was falling...

Old 05-12-2019, 07:38 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm looking at used RT models....the old guy edition. I like the F-3T a bunch, but used ones are much rarer and I'm looking to spend no more than 15k on this toy. I feel bad that Can Am is losing money on this, but that may change with the introduction of the Ryker. They are flying off showroom floors down here being that they are 10k new.

I want the storage which pushes me to F3-T or RT. I want to take this to work occasionally and when going to the Pentagon or Crystal CIty, I really want to be able to lock up helmets, riding gear, gym clothing, etc in the bike vs having to carry bags into the office. Looking at 2014-2017 RT-S models with the SE6. I'm pretty flexible and I have one 2014 held via RumbleOn. It has a lot more miles than I'd prefer, but I have it locked in at 11k. I'll have to do some service to it, but it seems to be a pretty inexpensive way to step into the hobby. Get a year or two under my belt and then I won't feel soo bad about spending 22-25k on a new Spyder if I love the hobby.

If I'm not in love, how much can I really lose on an $11k Spyder. Right now, I'm waiting on their reconditioning to be complete before we finalize any paperwork. Until then, my eyes are peeled looking at nice used RT models. I'm taking your advice about the 1330 engine and SE6.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:04 PM
System
Prolocutor
Steve, I understand all your reasoning but please... I hate to beat a dead horse... Ride both before buying. The riding position of the RT is just not comfortable for many. The F3 Limited has the same storage as an RT but I understand the price differential being a concern. Anyways, don't just sit on each at the dealer. Spend a good time test riding both. If you're comfortable on the RT, then go for it with the greater used availability. I just know that having ridden both, I could never be comfortable putting many miles on an RT... YMMV... The handling and turning radius are major differences as well. On top of that, add in the servicing differences. Changing the oil requires hours of disassembling the Tupperware body on the RT. I'm not joking. It's a 3 hour oil change. The F3 is a drain plug at the bottom like a car and easy access to the filter.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:16 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Bruce, thanks again for the PM22, def nozzles, fuel bowl and fuel and air filters!

Rodney, nice progress, and man that quad looks like a beast! Biggest one I've ever been on was a Suzuki Kingquad 700, and that thing was a beast. Can't imagine a 1000! The variable throttle settings seem like a great idea for something with so much power.

Rain, rain, rain again around here. Cut grass Tuesday and it poured again Friday. Should have been cut again yesterday, but just way too wet, and poured all day today. I'm going to have to pushmow the entire property this week. It's doing wonders for my new grass though!

First camping trip for the year is Friday! Quick 2 nights out to Hershey. Been slowly chipping away at getting the camper ready. Dewinterized Thursday, sanitized Friday night, and let it sit til Saturday am. Drained first thing Saturday and started to refill fresh tank while doing other things because it takes forever. Came out and tank was overflowing out fill and overflow. No biggie, shut off hose. Yeah, ok.............found water 1/4" deep on the floor around the water pump and creeping out under the kitchen cabinets. Dried up all the standing water, cut out the wallboard under the cabinet to dry out the framing. Found the fresh water tank fill hose had a cut about 1.5" long from the end that extended under, and past the clamp. It was on top, so under normal filling it wasn't an issue, but once it filled to the neck it leaked all over the place. Got it all dried up, and left fan on it all day. Did notice some staining in the bottom of the wallboard I cut out, and rusty staples. Also noticed plywood under water heater seems to be delaming near the wall, seems the have white stuff on top that looks like anode rod powder? I expected the WH to have a flange that screwed to the outside of the trailer.............apparently they don't. There was a bead of caulk on the bottom of the WH lip at the door surround that I thought basically sealed the 2 screws. I'm thinking it should have been fully caulked up and around the corners, and that I've been funneling water right into the trailer frame every time I pull the anode rod out for the past 4 years. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. I cleaned out all the old caulk and redid it wrapping caulk all the way to the top corners. Will have to keep an eye on it. Everything is ready other than greasing wet bolts and giving her a bath. Did a full once over, retorque and grease on the 5th wheel too.

Also, given the current swamp status around here I found Michael a toad. He was happy!

Old 05-12-2019, 09:02 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice quad buddy!!! One of the reasons I bought my '13 Grizzly was the power steering, and of course disc, IS and locking diffs. Love the power steering. Yours is a beast!!!!

Old 05-12-2019, 09:12 PM
System
Prolocutor
There are lots of different PS systems out there Monty. IIRC Yamaha was first and everyone else played catch up. Each has its own following. The Polaris system, my favorite, is the lightest of all. Some think it's too light and will transfer too much kick back at trail speed. CanAm has three levels but all are heavier than the Polaris. The Grizz is somewhere in the middle of the CanAm spectrum. All good stuff when these things are pushing 1k#...

Old 05-12-2019, 10:00 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 500 Likes on 168 Posts
Very nice Rodney! I was in early stages of research between the Can Am and Polaris until the boss lady saw the Can Am and informed me what i was getting.... lol. Sacrifices sometimes need to be made to keep the wife happy... lol
Max on my power steering is about right for plowing snow, but is too much for me on the trail.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:39 AM
System
Prolocutor
Chad, they make both chocolate and vanilla for a reason! Something for everyone... Many would find the Po's steering much too light for trail riding but I love everything super plush so the compromise of feedback vs. ease of turning is worth it to me. You guys know I'm tender...

Old 05-13-2019, 06:07 AM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by Ferguson65
Bruce, thanks again for the PM22, def nozzles, fuel bowl and fuel and air filters!

Rodney, nice progress, and man that quad looks like a beast! Biggest one I've ever been on was a Suzuki Kingquad 700, and that thing was a beast. Can't imagine a 1000! The variable throttle settings seem like a great idea for something with so much power.

Rain, rain, rain again around here. Cut grass Tuesday and it poured again Friday. Should have been cut again yesterday, but just way too wet, and poured all day today. I'm going to have to pushmow the entire property this week. It's doing wonders for my new grass though!

First camping trip for the year is Friday! Quick 2 nights out to Hershey. Been slowly chipping away at getting the camper ready. Dewinterized Thursday, sanitized Friday night, and let it sit til Saturday am. Drained first thing Saturday and started to refill fresh tank while doing other things because it takes forever. Came out and tank was overflowing out fill and overflow. No biggie, shut off hose. Yeah, ok.............found water 1/4" deep on the floor around the water pump and creeping out under the kitchen cabinets. Dried up all the standing water, cut out the wallboard under the cabinet to dry out the framing. Found the fresh water tank fill hose had a cut about 1.5" long from the end that extended under, and past the clamp. It was on top, so under normal filling it wasn't an issue, but once it filled to the neck it leaked all over the place. Got it all dried up, and left fan on it all day. Did notice some staining in the bottom of the wallboard I cut out, and rusty staples. Also noticed plywood under water heater seems to be delaming near the wall, seems the have white stuff on top that looks like anode rod powder? I expected the WH to have a flange that screwed to the outside of the trailer.............apparently they don't. There was a bead of caulk on the bottom of the WH lip at the door surround that I thought basically sealed the 2 screws. I'm thinking it should have been fully caulked up and around the corners, and that I've been funneling water right into the trailer frame every time I pull the anode rod out for the past 4 years. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. I cleaned out all the old caulk and redid it wrapping caulk all the way to the top corners. Will have to keep an eye on it. Everything is ready other than greasing wet bolts and giving her a bath. Did a full once over, retorque and grease on the 5th wheel too. Also, given the current swamp status around here I found Michael a toad. He was happy!

Sounds like some progress between the raindrops Scott. Jr. looks happy with his toad. Elyse loves anything slimy that's creeping and crawling. At the new place, salamanders under logs are a favorite... So, is this the last year with the current rig? When does shopping start in earnest?

Old 05-13-2019, 08:17 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Sounds like some progress between the raindrops Scott. Jr. looks happy with his toad. Elyse loves anything slimy that's creeping and crawling. At the new place, salamanders under logs are a favorite... So, is this the last year with the current rig? When does shopping start in earnest?
He loves critters! Still have to watch him so they don't get squished, but he gets the idea. This IS the last year for the toyhauler. We intend to get really serious after the Hershey RV show in September. Want to go and see what's latest and greatest by then. Will still be mid bunk. Trying to not close any doors, though anything Thor scares me. Will probably be an FR product or Grand Design. Been trolling the GD groups on Facebook, and for something that is supposed to be better than the rest, they still have lots of ridiculous issues. Current dealer sells GD, but the salesman last time was a dope. And none of the salesman from last go round are still there. Talked to KZ salesman at show in Feb and he was the same guy I talked to in 2014 at the Hershey show. There is a Durango 2500 that interests us, but, Thor. Also watching another local dealer that seems to carry the higher end units and waiting the see the 2020 mid bunk Cedar Creek. We want 10 years from the next one.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:33 PM
System
Prolocutor
I don't think FR is any better than Thor to be honest. I also think that GD is joining the rest of the herd quality wise from what I read. At this point, the RV industry is Ford/Ram/GM... just on a much lower level....

Quick Reply: Today is the day........