Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today is the day........

Old 01-29-2019, 06:09 AM
fordmantpw
Posting Guru
fordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to behold
We ordered the double pane on ours for the reasons Rodney mentioned. Salesman tried to talk us out of it (they don't order them with double pane), but we decided to stick with them.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:23 PM
Ferguson65
Postmaster
Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by fordmantpw View Post
We ordered the double pane on ours for the reasons Rodney mentioned. Salesman tried to talk us out of it (they don't order them with double pane), but we decided to stick with them.
They just want you to buy the one on the lot and get their commission ASAP. Tom, if you don't mind me asking what did the double pane option cost? I just don't see it being that much more. I don't know why a dealer would stock one without. Who's really going to sit there and argue that they dont want better insulation?

Old 01-29-2019, 08:07 PM
EO2SeaBee
Proudly Deplorable
EO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by dlibson View Post
Compared to doing it myself, maybe! LOL

I hate nothing more than tape and mud work.
Of all of the various phases of home construction I have ever had a hand in, that was by far my least favorite as well. I can do it, but I will **** and moan about it the whole time.

Thanks for the pics Chad! You are doing a nice job with the rock. Have I mentioned that I hate doing sheetrock?

Scott, sorry Momma and Mikey are down. Hope they feel better soon.

Tom, thanks for the future reports on the RV.

Rodney, I guess I should be looking for double pane windows to keep the Texas heat out!

Have a great evening all.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:52 PM
fordmantpw
Posting Guru
fordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Ferguson65 View Post
They just want you to buy the one on the lot and get their commission ASAP. Tom, if you don't mind me asking what did the double pane option cost? I just don't see it being that much more. I don't know why a dealer would stock one without. Who's really going to sit there and argue that they dont want better insulation?
Yep, that's exactly what they want, even though we told them we were ordering. The issue with them stocking double pane is that they can't compete on bottom price with dealer xyz that doesn't have double pane windows. Our cost for double pane was right at $1k on the 311. We'll never see that in savings since we don't pay for electric, and don't camp that much when it's really cold, but the comfort and quietness are worth it to me. When we were looking, I talked with several dealerships. One of them wanted 20% deposit to order, another (our second choice) wanted 10%, and the dealer we ordered from wanted just $1k, which is just the cost of the double pane windows, the only "odd" option from what they usually stock. Had we ordered standard windows, there wouldn't have been a deposit.

On a related note, I talked with an inside sales rep at Grand Design today, and he is going to try to send me pics of our RV in the various steps of the build process. This should be next week sometime, so I'm looking forward to it!

Old 01-30-2019, 06:08 AM
Karl4Cat
Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
I got pics of mine as it went down the line and then again in the paint shop. It helped during the wait for sure!

Old 01-30-2019, 07:19 AM
fordmantpw
Posting Guru
The great thing about ordering over the winter is that the only real pain in waiting is all the crap we've got sitting in the way in the basement waiting for the RV to come in so we can put it where it belongs!

I'm ready for a shakedown trip in early March though! I don't think even the double pane windows would help with the weather we're having now!

Old 01-30-2019, 07:56 AM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
The great thing about ordering over the winter is that the only real pain in waiting is all the crap we've got sitting in the way in the basement waiting for the RV to come in so we can put it where it belongs!

I'm ready for a shakedown trip in early March though! I don't think even the double pane windows would help with the weather we're having now!
Have fun counting down the days to that first trip! Speaking of the double pane windows. I had considered those for my Cardinal. But where we are in Michigan, and the time of year we camp, we neither get the blistering hot, or winter cold camping weather for more than a couple days at a time. But I did consider for the noise dampening. In my research, and of course tempered by the fact most folks come to forums to complain, it seemed like the durability of double pane windows were called into question. Most complaints were about losing the seal between panes, and then fogging up, Presumably due to all the jostling when towing on our beautifully rough roads up here. Anyway, that's why I opted to forgo them. It probably the only option left that I don't have on my rig.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:28 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by djousma View Post
In my research, and of course tempered by the fact most folks come to forums to complain, it seemed like the durability of double pane windows were called into question. Most complaints were about losing the seal between panes, and then fogging up, Presumably due to all the jostling when towing on our beautifully rough roads up here. Anyway, that's why I opted to forgo them. It probably the only option left that I don't have on my rig.
I hadn't thought of that. I can't keep the double paned windows in my house from losing the seal.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:26 AM
fordmantpw
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by djousma View Post
Have fun counting down the days to that first trip! Speaking of the double pane windows. I had considered those for my Cardinal. But where we are in Michigan, and the time of year we camp, we neither get the blistering hot, or winter cold camping weather for more than a couple days at a time. But I did consider for the noise dampening. In my research, and of course tempered by the fact most folks come to forums to complain, it seemed like the durability of double pane windows were called into question. Most complaints were about losing the seal between panes, and then fogging up, Presumably due to all the jostling when towing on our beautifully rough roads up here. Anyway, that's why I opted to forgo them. It probably the only option left that I don't have on my rig.
I thought about the issue of losing seal too (I saw that on several forums), but from what I found, they don't use a special gas for the double pane in RVs, hence it shouldn't fog up. Whether that is true or not, I'm not sure.

FWIW, I think the roads in MI are better than some of the junk we drive on here in MO!

Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
I hadn't thought of that. I can't keep the double paned windows in my house from losing the seal.
In just over 4 years, we've lost the seal on one of our windows (and we have LOTS in our house).

Old 01-30-2019, 10:36 AM
Karl4Cat
Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
Never lost a seal on any RV or any house. I'm gonna go buy me a lottery ticket...LOL

Speaking of houses... I'm about to be homeless. XLR full timing, here I come...

Old 01-30-2019, 11:32 AM
fordmantpw
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
Never lost a seal on any RV or any house. I'm gonna go buy me a lottery ticket...LOL

Awesome news man! Congrats!

Make sure the propane is topped off!

Old 01-30-2019, 11:48 AM
Karl4Cat
That's one thing on a list of about 100k things...LOL

Old 01-30-2019, 11:52 AM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post

Buy the lottery ticket! Congrats Rodney on what I assume is a pending deal!

Old 01-30-2019, 11:53 AM
Karl4Cat
Yep, the house is under agreement. Once the P&S is signed we'll start packing and prepping... As they say in the industry though, No Roses til' it Closes....

Old 01-30-2019, 12:01 PM
Chad149
Deplorable
Chad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputation
FWIW, I think the roads in MI are better than some of the junk we drive on here in MO!
Not a snowball's chance in hell.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Today is the day........

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: