Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today is the day........

Old 12-27-2018, 08:32 AM
KubotaOrange76
Post Fiend
KubotaOrange76 is a splendid one to beholdKubotaOrange76 is a splendid one to beholdKubotaOrange76 is a splendid one to beholdKubotaOrange76 is a splendid one to beholdKubotaOrange76 is a splendid one to beholdKubotaOrange76 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
Just pulled my 20' box trailer loaded with about 8k lbs inside. I realize my manual transmission truck is quite de-rated (from a torque perspective anyway) but I was disappointed. The truck did not pull nearly as hard as my Fords heading up long hills. I was in 6th gear, cruise control engaged at 57mph...truck slowed all the way to 45mph up a moderate hill. I realize 5th would have been better, but I was curious. Turbo boost showed no more than 17psi at wide open throttle. My Ford would have been huffing along at 30psi. Perhaps the de-rate with the manual is accomplished by cutting boost.

Oddly, when I towed my tractor home (probably 15k trailer) it seemed to pull better. Maybe the box trailer is just a big wind sail. Who knows.

I just took the RAM quality survey. Even though nothing has gone wrong with the truck in its first 3k miles, I found myself dinging RAM for areas Ford does better. In the end, there are definitely a few things I like about the RAM better than the Ford, but probably more things about the Ford I like better. One of the questions RAM asks at the end of the survey is to the effect of "what things about the truck were better than you expected?"

Well, I'm convinced (and surprised) this truck seems to track and steer a little better than the Super Duty trucks I've had. Not night and day, but noticeable, especially on the highway. Not a hint of bump steer either, on some very rough roads. I also noticed right off the bat that the brakes have a better feel to them, even though I never had a problem stopping quickly in the Ford. I'm also very surprised about the radio. The sound quality (especially bass) is really quite decent. I'd say better than the 2017 Sony stereo in the Super Duty. Waaay better than the XLT 7-speaker radio. And this is the crappy 5" display base radio in my RAM; I think with 6 speakers. All that said, I miss my Ford Super Duty.

Had a nice Christmas yesterday with my family and extended family. Was able to do a few "good deeds" for some co-workers of mine who I know are struggling financially. Was happy to show up this last weekend and throw them a little cash surprise. We often lose sight of how fortunate most of us really are.

Anyway, hoping for snow so the sleds can get some exercise. After over a foot in November, we have virtually none on the ground here now with last week's warmup and rain.
Did a tire rotate, installed steering box braces and adjusted the valves on my BIL's 2018 3500 with aisin on xmas day. Since its deleted I took up the huge .026" exh valve lash to .018. much quieter now. Anyways took his for a spin with 100 horse tune, still alot of low end derating because of the trans tuning (or lack there of), but still a large improvement over stock. Unloaded his makes just under 30 lbs of boost on that tune. EGT never got over 975.

My 2007 stock 5.9 would pull 32-33 psi stock tuning stock turbo, always made about 10 hp per lb of boost. This speaks to the more efficient he351ve on the 6.7's ability to open the exhaust housing as needed. Once i put a cam in my 5.9 the small exhaust housing on the he351c became a cork. Once i upgraded to a 62/65-12 turbo i couldnt make more than 40 psi of boost with an eflive max fuel tune. Made right at 520 rwhp. I pulled 28-29k on a regular basis with it and with the lower overdrive geared g56 and 3.73's 6th was only usable above 65 mph. Pulling the usual 8-16k load i could put along just fine at 60 mph in 6th gear. I remember 70 mph was right at 2200 rpm.

My 2012 with just deletes and tune would make about 35-36 psi at max effort fuel. i tuned the trans with H&S mcc so it would pull down to 1000 rpm till a certain % throttle. it had all the low end you could want.
Once i got in my 2017 f350 the adjustment from driving all the torque happy 6.7 cummins took some getting used to.

I would highly recommend a mild 30 horse emission friendly tune for you. It will make the drivability under 2000 rpm night and day. just be mindful in 5th and 6th gears of the now available torque below 1800 or so rpm and you will be fine with the clutch. Worst case you slap a clutch in, i got where i could do them in about 4 hours, lol

Old 12-27-2018, 09:03 AM
ExxWhy
Postmaster
ExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
I'm also not 100% sure we will move this coming year so a SCUT or CUT might not be needed right away. We have every intention of building BUT we need to sell this house first..
Have to do homework to keep up with this thread. Had to look up CUT and SCUT to see what you were talking about, and thought for a second there was something else called a BUT, except that was just a word.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:23 AM
Karl4Cat
Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
Iíve been polishing my tractor talk. SCUT CUT MMM BH FEL ROPS etc....

Old 12-27-2018, 09:36 AM
KubotaOrange76
Post Fiend
KubotaOrange76 is a splendid one to beholdKubotaOrange76 is a splendid one to beholdKubotaOrange76 is a splendid one to beholdKubotaOrange76 is a splendid one to beholdKubotaOrange76 is a splendid one to beholdKubotaOrange76 is a splendid one to behold
dont forget wtf

Old 12-27-2018, 09:47 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
And BFH. I thought all farm implements came with one from the dealer.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:06 AM
Sailor_Roy
FTE Chapter Leader
Sailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
And BFH. I thought all farm implements came with one from the dealer.
Extra cost accessory now.........

Old 12-27-2018, 03:17 PM
Ferguson65
Postmaster
Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.
And the Rodneycoaster continues.................Since you are back to a one function wonder, and will likely still mow your current place a time or two before it sells in spring, I'd go ask one of the dealers to demo a ZTR before you squash it. My first few laps I really was not thrilled with the demo one, even bounced it off a tree. I was actually disappointed I wasn't enjoying it, didn't want to go back to a tractor. After an hour on it I was sold.

Today we went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast and dropped the trailer at the dealer for inspection. Cracker Barrel wasn't that good. Michael puked it all up 2 minutes from home. Had to get the hose back out and spray the carseat......nasty! Luckily it was all contained in there and not all over my truck.

Did wander through 4 trailers while we were there. First up was a Crusader 365RKB. Not the floorplan I want, but wanted to check out overall appearance and fit and finish of the Crusader. Had the step above steps, after a good inspection I'll take back anything I said negative about them. My next trailer WILL have them! Fit and finish wasn't perfect, but better than what I have now. 8 lug axles and Sailun tires, reasonably priced, will be an option.

Grand Design 367BHS was next and did not disappoint though it could be better. Did not have the step above steps, but this one has been on the lot for a bit. Fit and finish very nice overall, but cheap Westlake tires, no fantastic fan in bathroom (ridiculous on a 70k trailer IMO), no double bunk option in bunk room. Love the layout, but a slightly shorter bunk room and less OAL would be good. Tons of storage, nicely run wiring and propane hoses, and has a D&W sewer hose tube!

Next was Grand Design 31MB. This was a new one that just arrived Has the step above steps, so I'm hopeful they will be on the 367 by the time we are ready. Master area has no more floor space than we have now, but had more headroom. The N-S master isn't an issue with a full height nose. Overall, this one gives up too much in floorplan changes to get to the 38' length. Off the list.

Final one was the Heartland Milestone 377MB. Looks sharp, lots of bling, but really unnecessarily tall too. Fit and finish issues, trim coming off, cracked caulk, etc. For a 62k MSRP, does not have rubber equalizers or wet bolts like the others, some off brand cheap tires too. Had a half assed docking station and the pass through storage had the poop pipe smack in the middle of it. Dealer has it on sale for $42,999 right now. Not impressed, even at 43k. I'm going to stick with FR or GD.

Wife's current gold standard is the 367BHS. It's a big bitch though. Still want to see the Crusader 330MBH in person, 38 feet, similar to the GD 31MB, but has a wardrobe slide in the master, along with the same layout in the back as the bigger units. Unfortunately it's a new model and RV trader only shows 9 in the country at the moment, but we have time

Old 12-27-2018, 03:31 PM
Karl4Cat
Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
I'm leaning towards a 739 for the 4wd and 60".

Old 12-27-2018, 04:29 PM
Dim Sum
Posting Guru
Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.
How does everyone manage with the 40+ ft fifth wheels? Lots of national park cacamgrounds have very limited spaces for such a large trailer and your truck. I remember much much trouble we had with a 38 ft diesel pusher.

I've been trying to find acceptable rigs in the 32 ft size. Tough and you give up a lot....but after all, it is camping.

I'd be with Rodney with Airstream, but their lack of storage is a problem.

I really don't know why I look. Im not buying anything until we move from the nation's cesspool.

Rodney, the 7 series is the bees knees'sif you're going to buy that kind of machine....but it does seem wastful if you're not gonna buy the implements that the machine can accept. Would seem you could spend less and not really notice the fewer capabilities since you're going to buy a larger machine later for all of those non mowing chores.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:48 PM
Karl4Cat
The 7 really doesn't take many implements other than a blower Steve. They took most of that away and sent it all to the 1 Series SCUT. You can't spend any less and get a 60" deck unless you go to a zero turn and I want 4wd and perhaps a bagger. No 4wd there and if you have a bagger it's a pain to get power flow. Also, you need counter weights with a bagger as all the weight is in the rear. The X739 is really the only thing that ticks all the boxes. 4wd, 4ws, EFI, easy to add a large 14bu bagger, etc. Another thing I was thinking about is this. I have no problem spending even more on a SXS or ATV that I use a few times a year. However, something that I use every week during 3 seasons, I should go cheap on?

As to RV size, I haven't had any issue with 44+ feet. I started with a 32' TT then 36' TT then 40' 5ver then 44.5' 5ver. Each step up seemed to cause no additional issues. We just do our due diligence before each spot and seem to make out just fine...

Old 12-27-2018, 05:54 PM
Ferguson65
Postmaster
Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Dim Sum View Post
How does everyone manage with the 40+ ft fifth wheels? Lots of national park cacamgrounds have very limited spaces for such a large trailer and your truck. I remember much much trouble we had with a 38 ft diesel pusher.

I've been trying to find acceptable rigs in the 32 ft size. Tough and you give up a lot....but after all, it is camping.
I honestly don't want bigger than 40'..................But 2 bedrooms and the space to make the most of being stuck inside on a rain day has become important post kid. National parks out west are only a pipe dream to us, it'll be years before we get that side of the Mississippi. For now, with kiddo we are picking higher end parks with lots to do on site for him, and these places all have plenty of room for big rigs. When we did Acadia with the FTE crew, the place we stayed at was close enough for me. And our view was better.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:00 PM
Ferguson65
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
We just do our due diligence before each spot and seem to make out just fine...
Honestly this hits the nail on the head the best. I research the hell out of the campgrounds and the best route to get there. Stay on 4 lanes roads as much as I can even if it takes a few extra miles. Honestly, I'd rather be at Rodney's 44 feet and 12'4" tall then 38 feet and 13'6" tall. Just my parking spot at home will result in a pissed off wife with a 42+ footer!

Old 12-27-2018, 06:01 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
There's nobody checking length when you boondock.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:02 PM
Dim Sum
Posting Guru
Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.Dim Sum has a spectacular reputation.
10 years ago, the 7XX series was the only way to get power steering, 4wd, robust hydro system, rear tiller, front hitch points, mid deck PTO options, etc. The 5XX series seemed to do same lawn mowing job without the extra implement capabilities of the 7XX series. Shame you can't get the 60 in the 5XX series because it does look like there's quite a bit of potential you'd be paying for and not using.

I will say that my Ferris mower (owned by Briggs, just like Simplicity) has been rock solid for 2 years. I only have about 38 hours on it though, so hardly an indicator of built quality. Care to share what the total cost difference between that Simplicity and the JD would be? Does it make your heart stop or is it just a couple grand more?

Old 12-27-2018, 06:17 PM
Karl4Cat
10 years ago, the 7XX series was the only way to get power steering, 4wd, robust hydro system, rear tiller, front hitch points, mid deck PTO options, etc. The 5XX series seemed to do same lawn mowing job without the extra implement capabilities of the 7XX series. Shame you can't get the 60 in the 5XX series because it does look like there's quite a bit of potential you'd be paying for and not using.

I will say that my Ferris mower (owned by Briggs, just like Simplicity) has been rock solid for 2 years. I only have about 38 hours on it though, so hardly an indicator of built quality. Care to share what the total cost difference between that Simplicity and the JD would be? Does it make your heart stop or is it just a couple grand more?
I have't compared apples to apples Steve. The Simplicity Prestige was a 2 year leftover and the JD 5 series was a new unit. The JD also wasn't the same model as the Simplicity. The JD is either EFI or 4ws. I priced 4ws which I feel is more important. The more equal comparison would be a Prestige vs. a JD X590. Anyways, the price difference from the X584 and the leftover Prestige was about $1350 more for the JD. The pricing on the 7 series is another animal entirely.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Today is the day........

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: