6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Today is the day........

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 08:45 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
A tapered nose is likely your issue Scott. I never thought of that. I'm taller than you and never hit my head sitting up in ours...

Old 12-16-2018, 08:55 AM
System
Prolocutor
Yesterday was Wreaths Across America day. We went to our nearest veteran's cemetery and were blown away by the amount of folks there to volunteer their time. I swear there were more cars than stones there! The cemetery is at the T intersection of two roads. The main roads in all 3 directions were lined with cars on both sides for over a mile. I didn't even get to go in. I dropped off the girls at the gate and drove a mile away and parked while they placed their wreaths. Then I came back to pick them up. It was inspiring to see such an outpouring of folks doing the right thing for our men and women who served and protected us, enabling us all to live so well today and prosper here in the USA...

Old 12-16-2018, 11:25 AM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
A tapered nose is likely your issue Scott. I never thought of that. I'm taller than you and never hit my head sitting up in ours...
I just dug up the sale listing on your rig. Tons more headroom than we have! The tapered nose is definetely the issue. Talked to momma a bit and she's not opposed to north south, just wants to be able to have room to stand and get dressed in the bedroom, which we don't really have now. I didn't think she'd back off the big closet, but she did. Less than 2 weeks we drop the trailer for inspection and will walk through the Grand design 31MB and 367bhs. Though if we go N--S the Crusader would be way ahead of the grand design as it gets a slide out dresser in the master and bigger bathroom, and the floorplan from the bathroom back is identical to the bigger east west bed units.

Great to see you saw a great turnout at the wreaths across America!

Old 12-16-2018, 05:28 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 423 Likes on 136 Posts
Scott, check out the 311 while you're at it. One of my biggest wants was the outside kitchen (with sink and fridge) because I cook EVERYTHING outside as well as the larger fridge inside. It also has the separate bunk room (even though it's in the back) and the half bath is great when you've got kids. The 31MB only has the smaller fridge I believe (if that is an issue for you). For 5 of us, we'll empty the 8 cu ft. fridge in a weekend. You do lose the big window in the back with the 311, but you have the nice large windows overlooking your site. This is the only RV I've found that checks ALL of our boxes, but obviously everyone has different boxes to check.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:08 PM
System
Prolocutor
So, I've had my JD on CL for couple of weeks. Just got a call on it. I guess my off season selling is going to continue. Guy wants to come get it in a week. Now, what to buy to replace it. I'm walking it back a little from the JD 7 series. It's so easy to just keep going bigger with more options. First it's going to the 7. Then 4wd. Then 4ws. Then a dumping collection system instead of a triple bagger. Next thing you know, you're at 16 grand plus tax. The heck with that. I am strongly reconsidering the Simplicity leftover at the dealer I just bought all my 2 stroke stuff from. With a triple bagger and 52" deck, I'm out the door under 8k. That's more like it... The rest of the stuff would be nice to have but in reality, not necessary for a lawn of my size. I guess I might be verifying Tyler's claim of the best cut going with that true full floating deck after all.... Well, if the dealer hasn't already sold it in the last couple weeks since we last talked about it...

Old 12-16-2018, 06:22 PM
System
Prolocutor
Hey Bruce... you alive? Anyone notice the FTE historian Bruce hasn't been around? Just checked his stats and no posts since 11/9 but he has been online as recently as today at 5PM.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:28 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Scott, check out the 311 while you're at it. One of my biggest wants was the outside kitchen (with sink and fridge) because I cook EVERYTHING outside as well as the larger fridge inside. It also has the separate bunk room (even though it's in the back) and the half bath is great when you've got kids. The 31MB only has the smaller fridge I believe (if that is an issue for you). For 5 of us, we'll empty the 8 cu ft. fridge in a weekend. You do lose the big window in the back with the 311, but you have the nice large windows overlooking your site. This is the only RV I've found that checks ALL of our boxes, but obviously everyone has different boxes to check.
I definetely don't want the rear bunkroom. I want all living area in the rear. We currently have a 8 cu ft fridge and it is fine for us. On that note I'd really also prefer a propane/ electric fridge over a residential unit, but may wind up stuck with a residential unit. I'm also pretty strongly against the half bath. Would rather have the space as living area, or OAL shorter. Both GD models offer an outside fridge, which is good enough for me. The Crusader models do offer the OSK. But I'd never give up my camp chef stove, so it's not a dealbreaker. All I need is the outside fridge for easy beer access!

Rodney, I was just there last year..............i could have spent more on the ZTR, but what would it really have done for me other than make my wallet 3k lighter? This one does everything I need, has tons of power and a great cut. I put 24 hours on it this year. It's fun to go bigger and badder, but doesn't really gain you anything. If the Simplicity fits your needs, keep the rest in your pocket. The JD x700 is a hell of a machine, but kind of a waste to only use as a mower.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:47 PM
System
Prolocutor
That's my line of thinking Scott. It's so easy to keep going up the ladder. One more step... and then another...

Old 12-16-2018, 11:29 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Ferguson65
I definetely don't want the rear bunkroom. I want all living area in the rear. We currently have a 8 cu ft fridge and it is fine for us. On that note I'd really also prefer a propane/ electric fridge over a residential unit, but may wind up stuck with a residential unit. I'm also pretty strongly against the half bath. Would rather have the space as living area, or OAL shorter. Both GD models offer an outside fridge, which is good enough for me. The Crusader models do offer the OSK. But I'd never give up my camp chef stove, so it's not a dealbreaker. All I need is the outside fridge for easy beer access!
Definitely understand...that's why there are so many floor plans available! I'm with you on the propane/electric fridge over the residential. The standard RV fridge was a must for us as well.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:38 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 889 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Definitely understand...that's why there are so many floor plans available! I'm with you on the propane/electric fridge over the residential. The standard RV fridge was a must for us as well.
Ok, so we had the propane/electric in the old trailer for 15 years. Never had a problem with it. But in the Cardinal, it came with residential refrigerator, with icemaker and through the door water and ice. It is on a 2000 watt inverter, so stays powered while traveling. I can go about 24 hours on a ragged out pair of 6V GC batts(no solar), which is plenty long for the type of camping we do.

I love the residential. Gets cold much quicker, and a ton more room, and you dont have the outside vents in the trailer wall for cooling that water/animals can get into. I think which one to get is really dictated by the type of camping you do the most? We don't do much dry camping, and now days, rarely go without full-hookups anymore. If I did camp in the wild, I would just have to run the Inverter generator during the day to recharge, and would be good.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:44 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Rodney, I appreciate the wreath pics. I think this is a great thing Many people forget about those who never came home and their families are lonely around this time of year especially.

The RAM has it's first quality gaffe. The driver's side heated mirror doesn't heat, lol. Probably was like that since new. No biggie, I'll have the dealer fix it when I get a minute. This truck is part of the "business plan" or whatever Mopar calls it, so I'm supposed to get something to drive anytime I drop the truck off. My local dealer is terrible on service, but they can probably handle a mirror. Although they are a decent sized dealer with quite a bit of inventory, they sell very few diesel trucks. Currently not one Cummins in stock of all their HD trucks.

I think many people do buy on dealer support, but I've learned most dealers are less than great, regardless of brand. At this point, I like the Cummins engine and manually shifting the transmission, and a couple of other things about the RAM but I miss the Super Duty. As of right now, my plan is to buy another Super Duty at the end of 2019 and keep the RAM as a work truck.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:08 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by djousma
Ok, so we had the propane/electric in the old trailer for 15 years. Never had a problem with it. But in the Cardinal, it came with residential refrigerator, with icemaker and through the door water and ice. It is on a 2000 watt inverter, so stays powered while traveling. I can go about 24 hours on a ragged out pair of 6V GC batts(no solar), which is plenty long for the type of camping we do.

I love the residential. Gets cold much quicker, and a ton more room, and you dont have the outside vents in the trailer wall for cooling that water/animals can get into. I think which one to get is really dictated by the type of camping you do the most? We don't do much dry camping, and now days, rarely go without full-hookups anymore. If I did camp in the wild, I would just have to run the Inverter generator during the day to recharge, and would be good.
Thanks for your thoughts on that. I'm surprised you get that much life on batteries. We typically have FHU's when we camp as well, but may be venturing out a bit more with less hookups, which is why I wanted the RV fridge.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:00 PM
System
Prolocutor
Well, the JD X324 heads down the road tomorrow. So, I've narrowed it down to the leftover Simplicity Prestige or the JD X584 with 54" deck. I'm thinking the Simplicity will be a much better deal but not sure I can give up the 4ws of the Deere...

Old 12-17-2018, 07:07 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by djousma

I guess maybe I'm just afraid of what I'm not used to. If it will run 24 hours on 2 6v bats that would be a lot more than I'd need. Thanks for the opinion Dave, it'll certainly ease my mind a bit. Dry camping is a no go for me. I'll always have electric at the least, so I guess it's nothing to worry about.

Decisions, decisions Rodney! Have you tried giving the deere dealer a beating yet?

Old 12-17-2018, 08:15 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,946 Likes on 1,580 Posts
Just received this picture of my Dads grave in Arlington National Cemetery

Quick Reply: Today is the day........