6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Today is the day........

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 01:23 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76

thats good
my 2007 dually got about 17 highway when it was stock modified was about the same. Problem was it had the lower geared 6th gear g56 before they changed it in late 2007. I was doing about 2200 rpm at 70 mph with a 3.73 rear. What does yours turn?
my deleted 12’ 2500 with 68rfe got consistent 19.5-21 hand figured with stock tires and 3.73

the limited slip in the aam 11.5 are good, its a geared limited slip with no clutches. Mine always wirked great
I think my truck is turning about the same...maybe 2300RPM. Only had limited Interstate time with this truck. Got a thousand miles on the clock already, though...2 weeks tomorrow. It has 3.73's like yours. Did it's first regen around 700 miles. Zero warning or messages...just the smell. Didn't seem to affect mpg as much as the Powerstroke though.

We've had a surprising amount of snow. Received about 8" yesterday. Been driving my plow truck...but I have driven the dually in snow. The limited slip is impressive. I've never had much luck with them in the past; I thought the 2017 Ford dually I had with limited slip worked pretty good. This one works as well or better.

Pretty interesting comparison between the grid heater Cummins and the glow plug Ford. The Cummins starts very well (and the engine block heater seems quite a bit more effective than the Ford unit...we had -3F last Friday morning). I notice that even in moderate temps (20's and 30's) the wait to start light stays on much longer than the Ford light. Once the engine starts, I also notice the grid heaters draw so much power they cause the headlights to dim and the blower speed to slow down during the cycling of the grids. The Ford glow plugs light off very quick and never cause dimming or slowing of the blower. So although the grid heaters can never break a tip off into the cylinder, I think the win goes to the latest versions of glow plugs. I also noticed the RAM has dual 730CCA batteries compared to the Ford's 750CCA, although the RAM dual alternators are both 220A so the total output is more than Ford.

Upgrades are beginning. Katzkin leather, auto-dimming mirror, Magnum rack, concealed strobes, LED tail lights, chrome door handles and a Laramie grille are all being planned or in process. One cool mod is the mirror clearance lamps. RAM has the dumbo ear mirrors with only an amber turn signal repeater but no clearance lamps like Ford and now GM. So there is a cheap $55 kit which allows that amber repeater to operate with the parking light circuit at a lower output and still function as a signal. I have the kit but have not installed yet. I also bought a complete set of Gatorback flaps with the RAM logos on the stainless steel weights...but these things are a major pain to install on a RAM dually. The brackets are on but not the flaps.

Rodney...whew! Mulling the zero turn vs the tractor. As I've mentioned, I have a lot of experience with both. One thing I really liked about a tractor (mine was a Simplicity Legacy 60" mower) was the stability on a hillside. Not in the sense that it wouldn't flip (a tractor is more likely to roll than a z-turn and has no roll bar) but in the sense that you can keep it going straight across a side hill. On any kind of decent side hill, the casters of the zero turn have nothing preventing them from following gravity and trying to head downhill. Typically the operator than tries to correct with the control sticks and proceeds to tear the turf up on the hill and ends up sliding down anyway. The tractor, with a normal axle and connected steering (and possibly 4x4) stays going straight across the hill. I will mention again that I believe my Legacy had the nicest cut of any mower I've every used.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:12 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Sounds like a nice start to the upgrades Tyler! Post pics as you go along...

On the tractor, I have also been considering the Legacy XL with the 60" deck. That would keep me with my preferred dealer. Compared to the X739 there are a few differences. The Simplicity has less collection options. Deere is full time AWD with an amazing hydro front drive system that spins each wheel independently to protect turf in corners. The Simplicity is selectable 2/4wd. The Deere can be had in 4ws which isn't an option with the Simplicity. The Simplicity has more HP from the Briggs EFI than the JD has in its EFI Kawasaki. The Legacy XL does have a ROPS these days. The JD is known to have top notch fit and finish while the Simplicity is known to come with a few loose nuts here and there. JD has 5 years of 0% vs. 4 years on the Simplicity. It's a tight race and both have things I like. I prefer the JD's AWD, collection options, and AWS. I really prefer the Simplicity's dealer and will probably get a better deal there.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:36 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Yeah, that's a tough one. My Simplicity was constructed very well. Never had issues with anything except the deck and front PTO system. Back then on my 2003 Legacy, the front PTO was a shaft off the front of the motor with a magnetic clutch driving two rubber belts on a pulley to another pulley which turned the driveshaft to the deck. I had bearing failure at 500 hours from the lower pulley. Also had to replace spindles and pulleys on the deck several times. But the cut quality was amazing. The power steering was nice. Mine was 2WD with a diff lock; never tore up the turf. Tires are very nice and wide. Using 4x4...it could tear the turf. For mowing, I never needed it. I know guys using the JD tractors commercially with the 4-wheel steering and AWD...and you're right, it works amazing. But the cut quality was not as good in my opinion. Nothing laid down stripes like the Simplicity. My overall opinion of JD products is not that great...and my opinion of Simplicity has been dropping as B&S works to cut costs. Either would probably make a great machine for your. I prefer Kawasaki as you know...I've had tremendous luck with them and there has to be a reason the B&S engines make more power but the Kawasaki engine option with less power always costs more in the commercial market.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:01 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,065 Likes on 2,216 Posts
Just keep in mind that the wider the deck, the more critical your yard be smooth and flat. Big wide decks make fast work of cutting, but can scalp the grass all over the place is the ground is uneven, in ditches, or on crests of hills. My yard won't let me use a deck wider than 54" because of it. A 60" tore the heck out of it.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:02 PM
System
Prolocutor
Simplicity does have the striping rollers standard. That is indeed another plus for their camp. As to longevity, with my residential use I'm thinking either will give me 20 years no problem. The Briggs is a bit bigger than the Kawi and that's likely where they get some of the HP increase from. Briggs is 896CC / 33HP. The Kawi is 745CC / 25.5HP. Almost 8HP difference is a pretty big difference in relation to overall power. I also think JD dumped the front loader option which the Simplicity still has. However, Deere has a much nicer heated cab option if snowplowing ever came into the picture. Neither loader or blower are on my radar but as I stated yesterday, you just never know with me. Decisions decisions....

Old 11-28-2018, 03:03 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
Just keep in mind that the wider the deck, the more critical your yard be smooth and flat. Big wide decks make fast work of cutting, but can scalp the grass all over the place is the ground is uneven, in ditches, or on crests of hills. My yard won't let me use a deck wider than 54" because of it. A 60" tore the heck out of it.
I did consider that too Andre and Tim made fun of me for it! LOL....

Joking aside, my yard will be brand new and leveled from the get go. No humps or break over spots so hopefully I'm good...

Old 11-28-2018, 03:03 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Old 11-28-2018, 03:04 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
I did consider that too Andre and Tim made fun of me for it! LOL....
He does that...I think it's cause his tractors are red.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:20 PM
System
Prolocutor
So, what your saying is go green? What did you end up with Andre... a 739? I'm trying to figure out what's going on with Deeres X700 lineup. Certain models like the 739 are listed as 2018 only. I'm not sure if certain models are being dropped or redesigned or? I've got a call into my Deere dealer but no call back. They are usually more tight lipped about changes that anything I've seen so unless I see something on a tractor forum, I'll likely not know until Deere updates their website.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:43 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
I did make fun of Rodney, Not wanting him to forget to hire a good operator, when his dirt work is done.
On the color debate, I have a 455 Deere with 60" deck. Next one will be a Kubota 1211 with 72"
Out here in the sticks, no one gives a damn what your lawn looks like, as long as you mow it. LOL

Old 11-28-2018, 03:44 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Plus there is the fact the grass never ends around here.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:45 PM
troverman
Hotshot
I think scalping is probably unlikely on a nice deck with gauge wheels / rollers on all sides.

That said, I personally run 54” decks on my zero turns. They are simply more maneuverable and unfortunately I mow a couple of cemeteries where a 60 would be just too big.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:48 PM
System
Prolocutor
Here is another option is I got the Simplicity route. The Legacy XL can be like a mini Kubota that I considered for a while. Capable of small stuff but still a small and light enough machine to be a great mower.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:54 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Yep, I considered that too. You used to be able to get a diesel option too...not sure I’d want it. But at that price point with a loader and hoe...the Kubota BX is a better value and a sturdier machine.

Legacy mows very well, no doubt. The JD is more maneuverable though.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:54 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
I have a x758 with a 54" deck and blower. The 60" deck tore up my yard so they gave me a 54" deck. I do have more uneven ground than anyone I know though.

Quick Reply: Today is the day........