6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Today is the day........

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 01:37 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,549 Likes on 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
Wow! Never thought I would see “software” and “saw” in the same sentence.
I'm with you Doug, a software update for my saw?

Old 10-03-2018, 03:36 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad149
I can only imagine the look of horror on the case managers face when he hears Brig say "Monty".
I told him it might not be a good idea to do that

Old 10-03-2018, 06:54 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the saw update Rodney. Might ask next time I’m at the dealer.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:27 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,991 Likes on 1,598 Posts
Before putting a meter inline as Rodney is showing, please ensure you meter is made for it and has high enough current capacity.
Also, Some clamp type meters only measure AC Current.

Have fun.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:52 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Getting back to chainsaws for a moment, I need to purchase one. I've been looking for about a year but when I research any saw, all of them get poor reviews so it's hard to separate actual issues from user errors. I need a saw for a homeowner to use a few hours a year. General yard clean-up. I've even considered battery saws but question the long term life of the batteries. In my part of the world, Stihl is the most common brand. I'd like a lighter saw as I don't anticipate needing to clear a forest.

Anyone have a suggestion? Happy to listen.

Bruce...

Old 10-04-2018, 10:11 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
Before putting a meter inline as Rodney is showing, please ensure you meter is made for it and has high enough current capacity.
Also, Some clamp type meters only measure AC Current.
How would I know if it is AC only?

Originally Posted by my_crib_too
Getting back to chainsaws for a moment, I need to purchase one. I've been looking for about a year but when I research any saw, all of them get poor reviews so it's hard to separate actual issues from user errors. I need a saw for a homeowner to use a few hours a year. General yard clean-up. I've even considered battery saws but question the long term life of the batteries. In my part of the world, Stihl is the most common brand. I'd like a lighter saw as I don't anticipate needing to clear a forest.

Bruce...
For just around the yard I'm thinking of going with a corded electric. For hunting camp it's gas, but it would be nice to have a cordless. The problem with a cordless is that it would get used so infrequently that the batteries would go bad unless the batteries could be used on other equipment.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:46 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,194 Likes on 573 Posts

Bruce...
Bruce, if it's only branches and cleanup, I would strongly recommend a top handle trim saw. They are super light and easy to handle with one hand because they are made for professional climbers who are working in the trees. That said, they come with a professional grade price and are generally limited to a 14" bar. I've had a Stihl 019T for 20 years and I so prefer it to my Husky 257 when the job isn't too big. I recently got a Husky T435 top handle for my mom and her beau to keep her property clear. Super easy to start, lightweight, and easy to use. MSRP is $329 but you can usually do 15-20% off that at a fair dealer. It's not a pro grade with the electronic carbs so that keeps the price down. The XP version is $650...

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/product...435/966997232/

Old 10-04-2018, 10:57 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts

Bruce...
I bought a Jonsered CS2250 last year at Tractor Supply. I think it was $360. I needed a saw I could throw in one of my mowing trailers to clear the occasional deadfall or blow down the crew encounters. The thing has performed flawlessly. It starts better than my big $$ Husky 562XPG. No electronics, just a standard 2-stroke with a normal carb. Jonsered is owned by Husqvarna and this saw is a clone of one of the homeowner saws, so you could go that route too.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:38 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Bruce, if it's only branches and cleanup, I would strongly recommend a top handle trim saw. They are super light and easy to handle with one hand because they are made for professional climbers who are working in the trees. That said, they come with a professional grade price and are generally limited to a 14" bar. I've had a Stihl 019T for 20 years and I so prefer it to my Husky 257 when the job isn't too big. I recently got a Husky T435 top handle for my mom and her beau to keep her property clear. Super easy to start, lightweight, and easy to use. MSRP is $329 but you can usually do 15-20% off that at a fair dealer. It's not a pro grade with the electronic carbs so that keeps the price down. The XP version is $650...

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/product...435/966997232/
Rodney,

This is a great comment and I appreciate your response. I was looking at the Stihl Top handle saws. I learned to use a chainsaw using a top handle and used one for years. Moved to heavier saws and then eventually sold because I didn't use them. Now that I need a saw again, a top handle is a great thought.

Bruce...

Old 10-04-2018, 12:46 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Just received this email special.........

https://www.homedepot.com/SpecialBuy...t_rid=44088440

Old 10-04-2018, 01:28 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Just received this email special.........

https://www.homedepot.com/SpecialBuy...t_rid=44088440
That's a pretty good discount. I didn't know they had a 20v chainsaw. Hmmm.....

Old 10-04-2018, 01:47 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by HRTKD
That's a pretty good discount. I didn't know they had a 20v chainsaw. Hmmm.....
It really is 60VDC....... The battery with power 60V and 20V tools...... very versatile battery. Today's battery tools are fantastic !!
I have a Milwaukee 10" sliding miter saw, battery powered. Wow. That thing does Great and the battery lasts a very long time.....Days.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:58 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
It really is 60VDC....... The battery with power 60V and 20V tools...... very versatile battery. Today's battery tools are fantastic !!
I have a Milwaukee 10" sliding miter saw, battery powered. Wow. That thing does Great and the battery lasts a very long time.....Days.
Oh, that's interesting. The 60v battery fits in 20v tools. I would imagine that it makes the 20v tool a bit on the heavy side versus using an actual 20v battery.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:42 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
I recently bought a Stihl MS 170 which is their cheapest and lightest saw. Lot's of plastic, but very light. Got it with a 14" bar. (standard is 16) I have been very pleasantly surprised with what a great little saw it is for light limbing and cutting up smaller logs. Super easy to handle and very light. Decent power with the short bar. I use it a lot more than the MS 391 I also have. All depends on what you want to use it for. No telling how long it will last. They get bad reviews for being hard to start. I have never had an issue with it. I blame it on user error, all these Stihl saws start about the same.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:45 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
I have and Echo CS330T top handle limbsaw with a 12" bar. It's a great little saw, but if I only had one saw, I don't think it would be the limbsaw. It does great at what it's meant to do, but if you get into anything over 6" it just really lacks power. I'd look for something a bit bigger that could run maybe up to a 16" bar, and then put a 14" on it. I'd also avoid any of the Stihl models with the tool free chain adjustment. I think it sucks, my neighbor has one and I've never seen a chain fly off so much. Maybe it's him, but I've fooled with it a time or 2 and just don't care for it.

As far as the meter Jim, Rodney and Roy beat me to it on the connections and cautions. I have a DC clamp meter, it does 80-100 amps DC well, but not so much the low amp stuff from what I've seen. You are definately at a questionable spot as most meters are only fused to 10A, and the compressor will probably draw more than that. I don't know if the fuses are replaceable on a lot of meters or not so its something to be cautious of. I know my Fluke 88 has replaceable fuses all too well.

Quick Reply: Today is the day........