6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Today is the day........

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:45 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Station wagon with no air. But you're forgetting the best part... (or perhaps you had this luxury that she didn't) The back windows of the wagon did not roll down at all
We must have had the same wagon, fixed rear windows.

In all seriousness, the best gift my parents ever gave me was the gift of travel and an appreciation for the outdoors. As a family, we always had enough but we were not rich. From WI, my parents took us to Disney in Florida, just after it opened (we camped), out to Yellowstone several times, Banff and Jasper parks, Canada, and too many other great spots to list. Mom's map reading skills or lack there of, got us to British Columbia, when she had the map upside down and we were supposed to be heading east. When I got older we traveled together for many years. Great times!

Bruce...

Old 07-20-2018, 05:27 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,991 Likes on 1,598 Posts
Old 07-20-2018, 05:39 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
It's been years since I've been in a dwelling with a swamp cooler. Will you have enough onboard water if you don't have hookups?

Old 07-21-2018, 12:15 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by HRTKD
It's been years since I've been in a dwelling with a swamp cooler. Will you have enough onboard water if you don't have hookups?
I don't know.......
I do have some research to do. 12vdc power we are ok on.

We camp near a lake most of the time..... Maybe I could use that for water...??

Old 07-21-2018, 06:03 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,194 Likes on 573 Posts
I never really knew how swamp coolers worked as they are pretty much nonexistent up her in the northeast. It looks like they add humidity instead of removing it like an AC?

Old 07-21-2018, 09:04 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
I never really knew how swamp coolers worked as they are pretty much nonexistent up her in the northeast. It looks like they add humidity instead of removing it like an AC?
That's correct. It can get pretty muggy. Given that RV trailers often have problems with retained moisture, a swamp cooler wouldn't be my first choice. But if you live in a very dry area it might be OK.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:53 AM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
Living in Florida, I put a lot of effort into keeping moisture out of my camper. The last thing I would do is intentionally introduce moisture in. But like Jim said, it might be a different story in an less humid area.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:42 PM
System
Prolocutor
Their website did say it was for very dry climates like where Roy lives. Low 12v amp draw too. I can see where it would work for him and run off a single solar panel if in direct sunlight.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:08 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
The power company here is really pushing the swamp coolers as a way to reduce energy usage. An "A/C" unit that you can run off of 12v without firing up the generator sounds awfully nice. But if you're boondocking that may not work out so well since it requires a source of water. I didn't look at the site. Did it give any specification on water consumption?

Old 07-21-2018, 04:15 PM
System
Prolocutor
Must be low consumption as they sell as standalone container with hand pump for pressurizing to feed the cooler if you don't have a water supply.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:43 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Howdy Guys.....
We are in West Glacier. Not far from the West Entrance to Glacier NP.....
On a 90+ degree day here the humidity is between 10% - 20%. Swamp coolers work very well here. The humidity that they add to the air is nice. Also, when you use a swamp cooler, the windows are open. You end up with a breeze flowing through the trailer.......

Old 07-22-2018, 08:51 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
We just got back from 3 nights at Masseys Landing in Delaware today. Really nice place and nice beach on site. Had great weather Thursday and Friday and a complete rainout Saturday. Was able to keep awning out through most of it with the poles and new Claw tie downs. They worked very well. Winds were pretty bad but we wanted to be outside. Ride down sucked and we hit a bunch of traffic, safety strap on the spare tire came off somewhere between home and lunch in Milford DE. Found tire dangling from the winch cable walking back to the truck. Crawled under to fix it and railed my knee into the frame, hurt like hell til we got to camp. I need to make some kind of lock for the stupid Lippert POS winch so it doesn't bounce loose. The ratchet strap had worked for at least 2k miles.....LOL.

Trailer worked well and stayed good and dry inside despite nasty blowing rain and that's a big positive. I have a lot of paneling coming loose from the front door to the nose that I assume is due to neck flex. Stuck a hand behind it and found nothing wet. Guess I just need to staple it back down and retape the joints. Lost signal from right rear TPMS sensor and then left rear about 5 miles later. TST monitor started flaking out when the left rear one quit. Batteries are new. Guess I can reprogram the sensors and move front to rear and see if it changes. Or just send it out to TST. Next trip is 4 weeks away but short so I really won't miss it.

The was a Grand design 367BHS in the campground and the wife got to eyeball up the outside of it. I point out all the mid bunk units to her when we walk around. She's seeing the light!

Old 07-23-2018, 07:16 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,627 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
Howdy Guys.....
We are in West Glacier. Not far from the West Entrance to Glacier NP.....
On a 90+ degree day here the humidity is between 10% - 20%. Swamp coolers work very well here. The humidity that they add to the air is nice. Also, when you use a swamp cooler, the windows are open. You end up with a breeze flowing through the trailer.......
Swamp coolers work good in dry climates........EXCEPT.....when the water source is no longer cool!!! Then they turn the house/dwelling/whatever into a swamp!!!!!! I found that out the first summer in AZ......the water was entering the “cooler” at 85-90 degreesand all it did was make the house sticky and swampy like Florida! I think that is how they got the name!!! So I installed a 3 ton “Mini-split” heat pump and threw out the cooler. It costs me about $15-20 per month to keep my house @ 74*F in the AZ summer and a little more to heat it in the winter!! VERY efficient unit!!

Old 07-23-2018, 07:25 AM
System
Prolocutor
I'd never heard of a tire safety strap until you posted. Mine doesn't have one. I wonder if my winch is more HD? I've got a very heavy GY G614 under there and it stays put. I look forward to your mid bunk shopping experience. GD makes a great product and I'm sure you'll be pleased...

Mornin' Don! Good info on the coolers and makes compete sense. Hey, when you need a new belt, Hunterworks is doing their own brand now that is more HD and is supposed to be just a hair wider making clutch engagement much smoother. Something to keep in mind for when you need one...

Old 07-23-2018, 07:45 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,627 Likes on 1,644 Posts
I'd never heard of a tire safety strap until you posted. Mine doesn't have one. I wonder if my winch is more HD? I've got a very heavy GY G614 under there and it stays put. I look forward to your mid bunk shopping experience. GD makes a great product and I'm sure you'll be pleased...

Mornin' Don! Good info on the coolers and makes compete sense. Hey, when you need a new belt, Hunterworks is doing their own brand now that is more HD and is supposed to be just a hair wider making clutch engagement much smoother. Something to keep in mind for when you need one...
Good morning back at you Rodney.
Yep, on the HW belt.......but Todd was a little late getting the info out.....not his fault tho........as I had already purchased a spare OEM to have in the machine with me. But thanks anyway. Gonna put the buggy to another test soon, as I am planning to hit Moab on my return trip for a couple days.

Quick Reply: Today is the day........