1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How much power is too much

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 11:19 AM
6string6
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AX racer, sorry you're confused. I already have a 650cfm carb. That's why I was wanting to know if it will work. I mentioned budget rocker arms because I don't want to pay $600 for rocker arms. If I was on that tight of a budget I wouldn't get the top end kit to begin with. At no point in time did I mention I want a drag truck to take to the strip. As a matter of fact I want the "diametrically opposite." Maybe you can help somebody else's truck "grow up"

Old 03-28-2015, 11:27 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey 6 String,
We are running the 650cfm Edelbrock carb. - that will work just fine.

I do agree with Ax that this approach will not produce the most street friendly truck. A little rough but not horrible and it will move. If you were looking for smooth, quiet, nice ride - not so much. It's a bit of a beast but fun if that's what you want.

Would I race this truck - no - it just doesn't handle that well. I'd have to really go in and re-engineer the chassis & even then with the flat windshield & poor aerodynamics - it's just not going to handle that well. There is a member on here out West in Oregon I believe racing his trucks. Let me see if I can find a link for you.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 03-28-2015, 11:38 AM
6string6
New User
Well like a said I don't have any plans on racing. I'm just building a fun hot rod. I really like a choppy idle. I like to hear the engine roar and I am very gentle with vehicles but every now and again I want it to put a smile on my face. I normally don't really drive more than 20 miles at a time anyway. I understand this isn't a race truck and that works great for me because I don't really want one.
Ben, you have really helped me out tremendously! Thank you so much for your time and posts, I think I will get hardened pushrods now.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:46 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
200HP would be enough for one of these trucks, I would not put 400HP in a daily driver just because of the gas mileage and I am a cheap SOB. Matching the drive train to the engine will make 400HP livable every day no problem, but your stock converter is not going to cut it and I doubt you have the correct rear gear to match the kind of cam you are looking for. No sense running around at 2000 RPM if the engine makes no low end torque and wants to be over 3000.
If you are building a weekend toy and really want 400HP then go for it, just build the rest of the truck to compliment it. If you are like some and want a daily driver, not a race car, but really want that choppy idle sound then call a cam mfg tech line and get a cam that will do that for you. They make cams with enough overlap to give you that idle but not so much that a stock converter will not work. Two footing it at the traffic light gets old!
That said I am building two trucks, one with 300HP and one with 400HP. The 400HP engine idles like a dragster, shakes, snorts, and is no way made for a pickup truck. It will never hook up, that is not the point. The point is to make lots of noise, burn rubber, and do what hot rods do, make people run away in fear

Old 03-28-2015, 12:00 PM
6string6
New User
I would take a guess and say the 302 I have now makes about 200hp and I just want more. I know I am going to have to eventually put in a new rear. But for now it's the motor. I just want to do the motor and be done. I know several guys who keep adding to their motor and regret not just doing it the way they wanted the first time. It's a working progress as I imagine most hot rods are. Your 2 truck builds should be fun. Pictures are always a huge plus

Old 03-28-2015, 12:09 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by 6string6
So with you guys and your 400hp machines, how fast is your truck 1/4 mile time. I understand it's just a guess. I am just wanting an idea of how well that power will translate in my truck. I have a C6 with a shift kit and a stock stall converter
I can see where AX thought you wanted to race your truck by one of your previous posts.
We are all friends here so I suggest going easy MR 10 post, Ax is a resident here and was just trying to figure you out.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:23 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put a 289 in my Healey back in the late 60's it had 10.5 high rise pistons a radical cam solid lifters ported and deburred with headers. I though it was about 380 to 390 horse but at the strip they thought it was well over 410 hp. We made an extended oil pan to hold 11 qtrs and help keep it cool. Had Eclkin gold distributor cap, points and plug wire ends. It could lift the front end off the ground or break all the wires on the wire wheels. At 60 mph you could floor it and still smoke the tires. My point is rebuild the 302 put the power to it with mods and not have to redo mounts and other things. Power noise smoke and ease of daily driving can be done a number of ways. One thing I was only getting about 6 or 7 miles per gallon but it was fun

Well said Bigwin56f100 he has helped many of us make better decisions

Old 03-28-2015, 12:32 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I would take a guess and say the 302 I have now makes about 200hp and I just want more. I know I am going to have to eventually put in a new rear. But for now it's the motor. I just want to do the motor and be done. I know several guys who keep adding to their motor and regret not just doing it the way they wanted the first time. It's a working progress as I imagine most hot rods are. Your 2 truck builds should be fun. Pictures are always a huge plus
Doesnt work that way.
I have seen the specs on the Edelbrock cam in that package, not going to work with a stock torque converter unless you like two footing it at traffic lights.

Good luck, guys are trying to keep you from learning the way I and many others did!

Put one of these in your 351 and be happy with a ton of cash left over.

COMP Cams: Dual Energy™, 275DEH <br> High Performance, Great High End Power, Choppy idle

Otherwise I would save up until you can afford to get a new converter to match the cam and a rear end gear swap or upgrade depending on what is under there now.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:36 PM
6string6
New User
That's cool that AX is experienced and helps out. But if he had a question he could just asked instead of going about it in a jerk of a way. Everyone here has been helpful except for his post about how my truck needs to grow up and how it's a terrible drag truck. This was my first thread here and I have nothing but nice stuff to say about everyone that posted. But after I read his post the first thing that popped in my head was ever forum needs an ***. Maybe instead he could have said are you planning on racing this truck? I asked about quarter mile time because to me that is the most universal understanding about speed (besides top speed). I feel like I just responded to his post in the same manor he posted to mine.

But like I keep saying. You guys are awesome in helping. I am really thinking about how I want to do the truck and yall are all helping! (Well most of you)

Old 03-28-2015, 12:51 PM
6string6
New User
Ben,
I also have a 2 chamber master cylinder for my brakes, disk up front and drums in the back. What do you have in terms of stall converter?

Old 03-28-2015, 12:54 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
...after I read his post the first thing that popped in my head was ever forum needs an ***. ...
Totally uncalled for. This is a friendly forum and there was nothing derogatory in AX's post.

If you really want to put a 400 HP engine in your truck, post up some detailed pictures of how the clip was grafted on, and what they did to compensate for chopping the main crossmember at the trans in half. That was your original question, whether the frame could take it, and the answer is, "Maybe".

Old 03-28-2015, 01:05 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey 6 String,
We had some challenges with the transmission part of our build. It took a couple of expensive tries to get it right - mainly finicky AOD related issues. We went the AOD route & have a beefed up 2500 rpm torque converter in our's. We also went with a "racing" disc pack for our trans that pushes all the shift points up a bit. I wouldn't do that one again - shifts are too rough.

We used Baumann Engineering site for most of our transmission needs. They can walk through what you will need.

This is a good site - just ease in and stay friendly. Ax can be very helpful especially with chassis & welding issues. You are doing great - keep up the momentum. You may want to post a pic of the frame graft to get ideas on what you might want to do there to strengthen things up.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 03-28-2015, 01:36 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
That's cool that AX is experienced and helps out. But if he had a question he could just asked instead of going about it in a jerk of a way. Everyone here has been helpful except for his post about how my truck needs to grow up and how it's a terrible drag truck. This was my first thread here and I have nothing but nice stuff to say about everyone that posted. But after I read his post the first thing that popped in my head was ever forum needs an ***. Maybe instead he could have said are you planning on racing this truck? I asked about quarter mile time because to me that is the most universal understanding about speed (besides top speed). I feel like I just responded to his post in the same manor he posted to mine.

But like I keep saying. You guys are awesome in helping. I am really thinking about how I want to do the truck and yall are all helping! (Well most of you)
I can lead a horse to water but I cant make him drink.........Read this thread, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-saturday.html some people no matter how hard we try to help they cant be helped. I hope you understand that AX, is only helping

Old 03-28-2015, 01:53 PM
6string6
New User
I would like to apologize to everyone. I'm sorry I was a little rash with AX. I just read his post as being a little insulting more than helpful I guess. If he is reading this then I'm sorry bro!

Thanks to everyone. I can try to get some pics of my frame if they come out well.

Again, big thanks to Ben!

Old 03-28-2015, 01:57 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Dude, you asked about quarter mile times, I thought you intended to do some racing. Name calling is seldom good form. Now, let's take a breath and get back to being helpful to each other.

Quick Reply: How much power is too much