1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

1990 ranger 2.9 no spark

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 11:16 AM
kenneybbbb
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 ranger 2.9 no spark

I have put about everything new on this ranger ,, it has no spark ,,ran fine til i went across a set of railroad tracks ,,it died 6 months ago and never started again .. many dollars and many hrs has gone into this thing and still no spark ,, it will spark when you turn the key on ,,crank it and 3 more sparks and thats it ..every electrical piece has been replaced ,, ive checked and bought relays ,,fuel shut off ,, new distributor pickup coil ,, rotor ,,cap ,, wires ..plugs .. coil ... and still no start ,,any ideas ?

Old 03-27-2015, 01:31 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to FTE.
Scan for & post any trouble code Number clues found.
If it was ok before crossing the rough tracks, it sounds like an electrical connection problem, so maybe time to check the battery to engine & body ground connections & if no joy, perform some wiring harness wiggle tests & include the spout connector.
Seeing as this is a vintage vehicle, check the distributor shaft bearing for excessive play/wobble, as it can mess with the hall effect pickup, so that gap needs to be correctly set & maintained.
Were all of the things you replaced bad, or were you just throwing parts at the problem on a hunch????
Some thoughts for consideration, let us know how your trouble shoot goes.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:15 PM
kenneybbbb
New User
Originally Posted by pawpaw
Welcome to FTE.
Scan for & post any trouble code Number clues found.
If it was ok before crossing the rough tracks, it sounds like an electrical connection problem, so maybe time to check the battery to engine & body ground connections & if no joy, perform some wiring harness wiggle tests & include the spout connector.
Seeing as this is a vintage vehicle, check the distributor shaft bearing for excessive play/wobble, as it can mess with the hall effect pickup, so that gap needs to be correctly set & maintained.
Were all of the things you replaced bad, or were you just throwing parts at the problem on a hunch????
Some thoughts for consideration, let us know how your trouble shoot goes.
i JUST THREW NEW PARTS ON AS PEOPLE TOLD ME WHAT IT COULD BE ,, IVE DONE EVERYTHING I KNOW TO DO ...

Old 03-27-2015, 03:17 PM
kenneybbbb
New User
I DID THE WIGGLE TEST ,, I ADDED GROUND WIRES ,, IVE DONE EVERYTHING I KNOW TO DO ... IT JUST WILL NOT FIRE ...

Old 03-27-2015, 04:30 PM
pawpaw
I know you have done a good bit of work, spent a good bit of money & are frustrated because you don't have any joy.
The forum doesn't know what sort of trouble shooting scenario that's been suggested, or you to followed, but if you can get a grip on your frustration & work with the forum, we can likely help you unravel your woes, as this ignition system isn't all that complex.
So again, have you scanned the computer for trouble code clues, if so, post All code numbers, as they can help steer your trouble shoot.
Do you basically understand how your ignition system works???? Do you have a repair manual????

Old 03-27-2015, 04:33 PM
pawpaw
Have you had the ICM = Ignition Control Module bench tested???? Some autoparts stores can & will do it at no charge.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:32 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In a previous no spark thread that i wish i could find now one of the guys suggested opening the spout connector & then see if it would run. Doing this takes the ECM out of the picture. All the spout does is connects to the ECM to control ignition timing. Cant see why removing it would make any difference for no spark. But it's a very simple thing to try.

On my 87 2.9 the spout is laying on top of the passenger side valve cover.

Old 03-07-2022, 09:35 AM
Godfather6677
New User
Originally Posted by kenneybbbb
I have put about everything new on this ranger ,, it has no spark ,,ran fine til i went across a set of railroad tracks ,,it died 6 months ago and never started again .. many dollars and many hrs has gone into this thing and still no spark ,, it will spark when you turn the key on ,,crank it and 3 more sparks and thats it ..every electrical piece has been replaced ,, ive checked and bought relays ,,fuel shut off ,, new distributor pickup coil ,, rotor ,,cap ,, wires ..plugs .. coil ... and still no start ,,any ideas ?
I had the same exact thing happen it turned out to be a ground wire on the fender