Pics of ATTA 454RBR, Hutch, Harpoon done! (almost) - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Pics of ATTA 454RBR, Hutch, Harpoon done! (almost)

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of ATTA 454RBR, Hutch, Harpoon done! (almost)

Old 03-21-2015, 09:29 AM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Thumbs up Pics of ATTA 454RBR, Hutch, Harpoon done!

I am just about done with the install of the ATTA 45RBR auxiliary tank, hutch mod and harpoon mod on my truck. I damaged the fuel fill hose when attempting to reconnect it and had to order another one. It was in pretty bad shape anyway, so I don't mind being delayed a few days while I wait for it to come in the mail.

I cleaned everything, double secured everything, made sure everything fit as good or better than it should have. I am OCD about these sort of projects, this is why it normally takes me 4 times as long as others.

Please see the pictures below. I have done my best to put them in some sort of order.

Tank Out

15 years worth of dirt!

All cleaned up

First look inside the tank

Second look inside the tank

Sending unit

Internal screens

Front vent hose before repair

Front vent hose after repair

Vent hose connection before repair

Vent hose connection after repair

3/8" (fuel sender) line extended

5/16" (fuel return) line extended

OEM pump double clamped and sealed

Racor PS-120 before priming

Racor PS-120 after priming

Auxiliary tank pump

Auxiliary tank sending unit

Auxiliary tank gauge and switch

Auxiliary tank sending unit buttoned up

Old 03-21-2015, 09:57 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Man that looks nice. Great work! Where is that auxillary gauge located?

Old 03-21-2015, 10:26 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
looks clean . Aux tank/pump fills oem tank or runs system when oem is empty?

Old 03-21-2015, 10:42 AM
SARDiverDan
Posting Guru
SARDiverDan has a very good reputation on FTE.SARDiverDan has a very good reputation on FTE.SARDiverDan has a very good reputation on FTE.SARDiverDan has a very good reputation on FTE.

photo

Do yourself a favor and bracket that aux tank in there so it can't move. In that last pic, the tab with that small bolt holding to the bed will most likely break. I know mine did. I went to Lowes and purchased some heavy brackets and placed them on the 3 open sides of the tank to keep it from moving and make sure you put a snuggly fit length of wood between the front of the bed and the forward side of the tank (in the bed) to keep the system from wanting to slide forward when you brake.

In the photo you can see my similar tab that snapped off at the weld so I locked it in there with these heavier brackets and now I don't worry about it.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:18 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Sous...where'd you get the I.H. emblem/sticker?

Old 03-21-2015, 03:10 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
Man that looks nice. Great work! Where is that auxillary gauge located?
I ended up putting the gauge and switch on the rear part of the center console. The gauge is a bit awkward to look at, but since I only need to check it every once in a while it will be fine. The switch is a momentary rocker, so it needed to be someplace my wife or I could hold it for a few moments to fill the OEM tank. This was a great spot and comfortable access for both of us.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:12 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
looks clean . Aux tank/pump fills oem tank or runs system when oem is empty?
ATTA has 2 different fueling systems. One is called "Freedom Fill" and the one I bought is called "Push N' Fill". I like to have control over mechanical things in my life, so I went with the manual fill system. I also don't like to tap into the factory wiring as much as possible, so another benefit to the push n fill system.

The auxiliary pump is rated at 70 GPH, so it won't take long to give the OEM tank a nice bump of fuel when needed.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:15 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SARDiverDan View Post

photo

Do yourself a favor and bracket that aux tank in there so it can't move. In that last pic, the tab with that small bolt holding to the bed will most likely break. I know mine did. I went to Lowes and purchased some heavy brackets and placed them on the 3 open sides of the tank to keep it from moving and make sure you put a snuggly fit length of wood between the front of the bed and the forward side of the tank (in the bed) to keep the system from wanting to slide forward when you brake.

In the photo you can see my similar tab that snapped off at the weld so I locked it in there with these heavier brackets and now I don't worry about it.
You know, I was thinking this same thing when I was installing the tank into the bed, but I went with trusting the manufacturer. I will pick up some brackets next time I at the hardware store and get them mounted in there. As I mentioned earlier, I like to do things right the first time instead of revisiting the same problem/project. Thanks for the picture, it provides a good reference.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:16 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
Sous...where'd you get the I.H. emblem/sticker?
I bought a front and rear decal from Ebay when I first got the truck. I have been a Ford customer all of my life in one way or another, but when I bought the 7.3 I had to jump ship a bit. The decal comes in many different pieces and looks factory even up close.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:29 AM
ztodd377
of FTE, RHN, and BEER!
ztodd377 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ztodd377 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What sealant did you use on the fuel lines and is the racor for the aux tank or main tank or both?

Old 03-22-2015, 08:48 AM
tonym17
Senior User
tonym17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice work and write up...thanks

Old 03-22-2015, 09:55 AM
Sous
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ztodd377 View Post
What sealant did you use on the fuel lines and is the racor for the aux tank or main tank or both?
I used some fuel resistant Permatex gasket sealer at the end of the hoses to ensure there was an air tight seal after the double clamps. The pump is actually a 5/16 barb, and the high pressure injector hose I installed is 3/8. So, I wanted to make sure the seal was good and I did the other ones too for the fuel feed. I used Gasoila on the threads, that is the green paste looking stuff.

The Racor PS-120 was required because I removed the screens from inside the tank. I did not want to install a paper/smaller micron filter before the OEM pump because I have seen where flow has been restricted. The entire point of me doing these mods was to increase the flow of fuel, or at least make it an easier and more efficient system for the pump. The Racor serves as the screen filter for the OEM fuel tank, but is mounted outside of the tank for monitoring and easy cleaning when needed. The Racor only filters fuel from the OEM tank, but since the auxiliary tank is fed into the vent line of the OEM tank, I guess you could say the Racor screens both tanks.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:03 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
but since the auxiliary tank is fed into the vent line of the OEM tank, I guess you could say the Racor screens both tanks.
ok, this ahas been beaten to death, in other threads, with no new conclusion or if it worked/problems occured...but, how does your OEM tank, now "breathe" ?

Old 03-22-2015, 11:11 AM
Sous
Post Fiend
There is are front and rear vents that are connected together via tube, the front vent has a breather cap on it, you can see it in picture above where the front of my truck is. There is also a fill neck vent, so that makes 3 vents for the OEM tank. The auxiliary tank pump is a low pressure pump, so it most likely will not take the entire capacity of the fill neck vent line when it is pumping fuel into the OEM tank. Even if it does, the front and rear vents will provide enough "breathing" while the auxiliary pump is filling the OEM tank. Does that make sense?

Old 03-22-2015, 10:29 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
yup, crystal clear bud....good job

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pics of ATTA 454RBR, Hutch, Harpoon done! (almost)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.