Pics of ATTA 454RBR, Hutch, Harpoon done! (almost) - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Pics of ATTA 454RBR, Hutch, Harpoon done! (almost)

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of ATTA 454RBR, Hutch, Harpoon done! (almost)

Old 01-21-2018, 01:03 PM
Bill Kay
Senior User
Bill Kay is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Bill Kay is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by dn29626 View Post
To me...the screen can cause debris to create a clog in the tank...at a later date...cause another in-tank repair.
The purpose in the filter near the pump is to stop the debris.

My .02
I have only heard of this happening once but it did happen. If a piece of debris larger than 5/16 gets pulled against the pickup foot screen...no big deal. If it gets pulled into a tube without a screen...dead in the water. I will put a new foot on when I do this mod in the spring. I have never heard of a pickup screen becoming completely clogged.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:33 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
Perhaps I made a mistake by leaving the foot on, but for now it works great and the difference in how the engine idles was immediate. If I have to remove the tank again one day, I will closely examine the foot and make the call to remove it for good.

After 18 years of running the only debris in the tank was that of the original foot that failed. If/when this foot fails I don't see it plugging the tube up, but I could be wrong, and have been many times before.

As Bill mentioned too, I felt there was a better chance of the tube being plugged before the entire screen of the foot being plugged. Either way, I am sure I could "unplug" the debris by pushing air back into the tank if needed during an emergency repair.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:11 PM
electryc_monk
Junior User
electryc_monk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Hey Sous.. I gotta ask odd question #2

Here is question #1 unanswered so far in thread (unless in a PM that I'm unaware of)
Originally Posted by Wesley Green View Post
Alright I give up, what's the washer looking parts in the top right corner?
Question #2 whats the pipe-x-squeezer tool thingy under those mystery washers in upper right corner?

Old 02-17-2018, 09:24 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
Q #1 - You have to ask akcooper9, but they look like gaskets/hose washers.

Q #2 - Same answer. I have tagged cooper so that he will see you have some questions for him.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:06 PM
electryc_monk
Junior User
(slaps forehead) I need to learn the html code for that "tag" shortcut thingy! Thanks Dude!

Is there a FAQ for forum html shortcuts in here?

I used to use that in the USMB and in livejournal like mad.... was a wonderful way to keep friends in the loop, get someone attention *again*, tangent for a friend/newbie, etc.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:08 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
There is, but the description of tagging someone did not help me at all. ExPACamper got me learned...

{utag}Sous{/utag} but change the {} to [] and the username of person you want to tag.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:51 AM
queen of spades
Elder User
queen of spades is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
2x Barb Connectors (these were not 90 degree bends when I bought them and I think the picture on Amazon is wrong)
MettleAir 125-6C-1PK 3/8" ID 3/8" NPT Male Barb Hose/Tubing Fitting Connector: Industrial Pipe Fittings: Amazon.com: Home Improvement
Amazon's price on this is currently $64.

Found another 3/8 NPT to 3/8 male barb for $10 (link:
Amazon Amazon
) . Is there a good reason to use the MettleAir piece at $54 more?

Old 02-18-2018, 09:13 AM
akcooper9
Senior User
akcooper9 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
Q #1 - You have to ask akcooper9, but they look like gaskets/hose washers.

Q #2 - Same answer. I have tagged cooper so that he will see you have some questions for him.

The washers are for my oil drain plug that is leaking. Shouldnt be in the picture.

The part under them is the quick disconnect tool used to pull the lines of the sending unit.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:14 AM
akcooper9
Senior User
akcooper9 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by queen of spades View Post
Amazon's price on this is currently $64.

Found another 3/8 NPT to 3/8 male barb for $10 (link: https://www.amazon.com/LTWFITTING-Br...00CHI1QWE?th=1) . Is there a good reason to use the MettleAir piece at $54 more?
Its a pack of 10 making it 6 bucks and change per fitting.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:46 PM
ArmyLifer
Senior User
ArmyLifer has a great reputation on FTE.ArmyLifer has a great reputation on FTE.ArmyLifer has a great reputation on FTE.ArmyLifer has a great reputation on FTE.ArmyLifer has a great reputation on FTE.
Well Sous, I finally got my H-H done today. Your post was the main reason I moved this up on my priority list. Thanks!

Details at the end of the build thread in my signature.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:02 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ArmyLifer View Post
Well Sous, I finally got my H-H done today. Your post was the main reason I moved this up on my priority list. Thanks!

Details at the end of the build thread in my signature.
congrats! This has been one of my favorite mods because of what it provides.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:43 PM
electryc_monk
Junior User
Sous (thumbs up) Thanks! And, ExPACamper thanks for giving him the 'learnin' he needed' too!

akcooper9 That extraction scissor tool is that the same function as the rainbow color connectors-removers like Sous listed on amazon? IF so then I already have this tool -thankfully.

side note for all...
The 3/8" barb to NPT = I got them at Lowe's (with mil. discount) for ~$3.50 each?

now for another small question. Has it been debated elsewhere in forum(I havent seen any obvious one)
As for the fuel line. Is there data to pro-con the difference bewtween "regular fuel line" & "Fuel injection" fuel line when BOTH are rated up to 50 PSI? and the use of said fuel line is PRE-fuel lift pump?

At O'rielly's the current cost "per foot":
a) Regular fuel line ~$1.80
b) fuel injection line ~$2.60
c) ~200PSI MAX EFI line ~$8 or some such difference

granted I can afford the splurge to the low psi EFI line as I'm only getting a few feet.

Last edited by electryc_monk; 02-18-2018 at 08:44 PM. Reason: speklling error
Old 02-18-2018, 09:47 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
ExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant futureExPACamper has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by electryc_monk View Post
now for another small question. Has it been debated elsewhere in forum(I havent seen any obvious one)
As for the fuel line. Is there data to pro-con the difference bewtween "regular fuel line" & "Fuel injection" fuel line when BOTH are rated up to 50 PSI? and the use of said fuel line is PRE-fuel lift pump?

At O'rielly's the current cost "per foot":
a) Regular fuel line ~$1.80
b) fuel injection line ~$2.60
c) ~200PSI MAX EFI line ~$8 or some such difference

granted I can afford the splurge to the low psi EFI line as I'm only getting a few feet.
Read the description of 30r9 here:
Amazon Amazon

100 psi, DIESEL rated.

Excerpt

• an be used with gasoline, ethanol, extended gasoline, oxidized sour gas, diesel fuel, biodiesel (B5, B10, B20) and lubrication oil
  • Inner Diameter (ID): 3/8" (.375") | Outer Diameter (OD): .63"
  • Working Pressure: Max 100 psi | Burst Pressure: 900 psi
  • Temperature Range: -29F to 275F (-34C to 135C) intermittent use at 302F (150C)
  • Precision engineered and tested
  • Maintains full flow

Continental Elite SAE 30R9 Fuel Injection Hoses are designed specifically for auto and truck fuel injection systems. CARB approved (C-U-06-011) with a maximum fuel permeation of 15 gm/m2/day at 40C. Specific Fuel: gasoline, ethanol extended gasoline, oxidized sour gas, diesel fuel, biodiesel, lubrication oil. Temperature Range: -29 degrees Fahrenheit to 275 degrees Fahrenheit (-34C to 135C) Intermittent use at 302 degrees Fahrenheit (150C).

Old 02-19-2018, 06:33 AM
Sous
Post Fiend
I used the 30R9 because I could get it on Ebay for a good price and did not want to replace the line anytime in the future. Seeing as I only needed a few feet, the extra $20 or so was not a consideration for me at the time.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:17 PM
electryc_monk
Junior User
thats a good price break & the added piece of mide that over enginered brings to the table.

I'll admit that the bed mounted 109* gal. aux tank i have used (in bed) since 2005 was some fuel line & don't recall what the PSI rating was as it came with the tank kit.

their website died but, here is a yelp
https://www.yelp.com/biz/american-ta...olbox-frisco-2

I got it from the shop out in the Frisco area. It lasted over 10 years. So logically I could get a spool of high PSI stuff and have the aux tank re-plumbed at the same time as it would be wise to do that at the same time. Also mounting the 6 way valve in behind the lift pump at the same time I do this Hutch-poon-mod combo makes wise use of time too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pics of ATTA 454RBR, Hutch, Harpoon done! (almost)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.