1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Pics of ATTA 45RBR, Hutch, Harpoon done!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 09:12 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
UPDATE: I finished the install last night after my new fill hose came in the mail. The truck seems to run smoother/quieter since changing out all the fittings and sealing them air tight. My wife noticed the same thing so it was not my mind playing tricks on me.

The auxiliary fuel tank is a pretty cool set up. I had my first experience of fueling up the OEM tank at 70 MPH going down the interstate. Pretty cool if you ask me, and I am very happy with the install of the auxiliary tank and the modifications to the OEM tank.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:53 AM
montanasteve
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sous, do you have a complete list of all parts (down to the compression fittings) for your mod (excluding the aux tank stuff)? I realize it's been covered before, but a forum search for Hutch mod parts yields a ton of threads. I've got to be one of the last guys around who's never experienced "running out of fuel" with 1/8-1/4 tank left. But, I want to get this done more for the air intrusion reasons, and keeping my new injectors healthy. Thanks.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:23 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
No, but I can gather one up in bit. Check back later and I should have something posted.

I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but the engine is not nearly as loud as it was prior to swapping the fuel line out. One of my favorite mods so far because it makes the truck so much more comfortable to be in and much more capable in fuel capacity.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:48 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
***4/15/2020 update***

FTE member @SkySkiJason has published his method of accomplishing the "hutch and harpoon" mods and I fully support this method over my method and parts list. I do prefer the Racor PS120 though, but that is personal preference and a bit of OCD. Continue to read on if you like, but know that I would recommend his method to a friend or family member from here on out.

SkySkiJason version of Hutch and Harpoon mod can be seen by clicking this link...

OK, I think this is it in regards to the parts for the hutch/harpoon mod. This also includes removing the screen filter from the tank, replacing the quick connect off the sending and the pump. I retained the quick connect for the return, because I didn't think it was important if there was a minor air leak there. Be careful when lifting the tank back up, make sure your fuel line is not being kinked or twisted once the tank is back in place. I put a bit of twist on mine while in the down position, so when the tank was raised it was perfectly lined up to go toward the frame.

WARNING: PRICES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AND SHOULD BE SOURCED ELSEWHERE IF FOUND CHEAPER.

3/8" Clamps
Amazon.com: AAS 3/8" Fuel Injection Hose Clamps FI8 (Pack of 10) 9/16" - 5/8" Dia: Automotive Amazon.com: AAS 3/8" Fuel Injection Hose Clamps FI8 (Pack of 10) 9/16" - 5/8" Dia: Automotive

5/16" Return Extnesion
Amazon.com: Dorman 800-156 Fuel Line Repair Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman 800-156 Fuel Line Repair Kit: Automotive

Tube Bender
TEKTON 6519 Three-Size Tubing Bender - Rebar Cutters And Benders - Amazon.com TEKTON 6519 Three-Size Tubing Bender - Rebar Cutters And Benders - Amazon.com

Gasolina Sealant
Gasoila Soft-Set Pipe Thread Sealant with PTFE Paste, Non Toxic, -100 to 600 Degree F, 2 oz Tube: Teflon Paste: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Gasoila Soft-Set Pipe Thread Sealant with PTFE Paste, Non Toxic, -100 to 600 Degree F, 2 oz Tube: Teflon Paste: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

3/8" Sender Extension
Amazon.com: Dorman 800-157 Fuel Filter Repair Line: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman 800-157 Fuel Filter Repair Line: Automotive

Fuel Line Disconnect Tool
Amazon.com: Lisle 39400 Angled Disconnect Tool Set: Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle 39400 Angled Disconnect Tool Set: Automotive

Fuel Pickup Screen
Amazon.com: E5tz9j306ba Oem Diesel Ford Fuel Tank Sender Pickup Screen/Strainer: Automotive Amazon.com: E5tz9j306ba Oem Diesel Ford Fuel Tank Sender Pickup Screen/Strainer: Automotive

2x Barb Connectors (these were not 90 degree bends when I bought them and I think the picture on Amazon is wrong)
MettleAir 125-6C-1PK 3/8" ID 3/8" NPT Male Barb Hose/Tubing Fitting Connector: Industrial Pipe Fittings: Amazon.com: Home Improvement MettleAir 125-6C-1PK 3/8" ID 3/8" NPT Male Barb Hose/Tubing Fitting Connector: Industrial Pipe Fittings: Amazon.com: Home Improvement

Fill Neck Hose (only because I damaged my OEM one)
Goodyear 58524 Fuel Fill Hose Synthetic Rubber Black 1 5" I D 4 ft Length Each eBay

3/8" Fuel Injector Hose
247 New Barricade Fuel Injection Hose 3 8'' 25ft Rolls Made USA eBay

Racor PS120-02 (original source is no longer valid)
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...39.Qji0ofw4xzk

Diesel Fuel Gasket Sealer
I used something by Permatex that I bought at Advance Auto

5/16" bolts with washers
I used 4" bolts from HD and cut them down to size in order to mount the screen filter

Zinc coated washers
I used cut aluminum, but washers will do the same in order to snugly fit the screen filter into the U-channel frame

2x Thick Rubber Washer
These will be squeezed between the frame and washer when mounting the screen filter in order to reduce vibration

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-16-2015, 11:47 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
So what was the off set on the return line and how long was it? I believe the extension was 4 inches also? Great post.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:08 AM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Good post.

Why the aux tank. Long rang deliveries?

Old 04-17-2015, 07:23 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
So what was the off set on the return line and how long was it? I believe the extension was 4 inches also? Great post.
If you are referring to the return line in the tank that I bent, then it was only a couple of inches. I just eye balled it to get around the float sensor. I cut about a foot off of the 5/16 tube noted above after bending it to fit on the return line and go past the float.

If this does not answer your question, let me know.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:28 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by dn29626
Good post.

Why the aux tank. Long rang deliveries?
Thanks, I tend to over engineer things and make them as robust as possible, also causing myself a lot of *** pain. Although, it normally works out better in the end.

I have not like the 26 gallon (now 32ish) fuel tank in the short bed truck since the day I bought it. Even on short camping trips with my family that are within a few hours of our home I would try and gauge my fuel consumption and fill when I could. Now, I have roughly 75 gallons of fuel and don't have to worry about anything in that respect. Also, if/when I purchase a newer truck, I can return everything to stock and move/install the tank into that truck.

My wife and I are currently planning a trip around the states with our 30 ft travel trailer for this summer. I have done this trip before in an SUV on several occasions, and remember that there are sometimes big gaps between fuel stations out west.

With the auxiliary tank, I can transfer my concentration to fun instead of focusing on the fuel gauge.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:19 PM
montanasteve
Senior User
Thanks for parts list Sous! Very much appreciated.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:16 AM
jgilrfr
Laughing Gas
great write up and photos came out really nice

Old 10-08-2015, 06:01 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
so this project is a couple months old and how has it been?? One question to ask is have you ever gotten a check engine light and a code PO460.?? it's something to do with fuel gauge.

someone on amazon got a tank and he was saying he had gotten that code.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:18 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Carl, we recently took a trip with our 30 ft travel trailer across the country from GA to WA and back which netted 6,000 miles with the trailer in tow. There were two things I was very happy about in regards to my 7.3. The first was that it was a manual ZF6 transmission and the second was the 45 gallon auxiliary tank.

The tank gives us right about 75 gallons of fuel total and about 750-850 miles range with the trailer in tow going 65 MPH. Without the trailer you are easily looking at over 1,000 mile range. This allowed us to fill up at Pilot/Flying J with a discount card when we WANTED to fill up instead of when we HAD TO fill up.

I really enjoyed the ability to watch my fuel gauge go up while driving down the interstate.

No codes at all. Perhaps that is because I bought the "push N' fuel" system so that I had 100% positive control over the flow of fuel instead of auto or gravity. I like the fact that the auxiliary tank has its own sending unit, gauge and pump.

I am very pleased with the build quality of the ATTA tank. I know some people don't want to spend the extra money and go for a DeeZee or RDS, which is perfectly fine. With the ATTA I called and had them build a custom ATTA 45RBR based on my needs and the build quality is great. The kit came with everything I needed to go from it sitting on a pallet in my garage to being fully operational.

I just recommended that ATTA kit to a good friend that bought an 06 F-250 and have total confidence he will like it.

Zero problems, zero regrets and a lot of range!

Old 10-18-2015, 08:32 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
sounds like a fun long trip. In doing some more reading it appears the "code" can be set if you are allow fuel into main tank during operation. Do or did you fuel the truck from aux tank to main tank while moving??

the code is supposedly "set" when the tank fuel level does not fall like normal when driving.. most of the time the truck is turned off when refuelling or maybe at idle so no code.. ??

I think its more of it might happen than a it will happen deal.

so how much was this custom tank and all the goodies??

thanks

Old 10-19-2015, 07:58 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by carl2591
sounds like a fun long trip. In doing some more reading it appears the "code" can be set if you are allow fuel into main tank during operation. Do or did you fuel the truck from aux tank to main tank while moving??

the code is supposedly "set" when the tank fuel level does not fall like normal when driving.. most of the time the truck is turned off when refuelling or maybe at idle so no code.. ??

I think its more of it might happen than a it will happen deal.

so how much was this custom tank and all the goodies??

thanks
Yes, I always fill up the OEM tank from the auxiliary tank while moving. Usually it was right about 65 MPH. I may have filled the OEM a few times while sitting still while waiting for my wife to return to the truck, but 95% of the time it was while going down the highway.

It was just under $1K when it was all said and done and shipped across the country to a location close to me. I spent a bit more than I could have because I wanted a customized tank with the spout moved to the rear of the tank. I also wanted a separate pump and sending unit and stay away from the gravity feed method.

I like to have positive control over the machines I operate, this is the reason why I went with ATTA and the complete install kit.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:48 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Positive control over the machines... sounds like a star wars HAHAHA

I do like the pump and solenoid deal. It got me to thinking how to control a gravity feed. I was figuring a pump would move thing along quicker and the solenoid valve would stop the flow. I may try it without pump first to see how quickly gravity can feed, which will be good with flow at full aux tank and then slow as the tank empties.

thanks again for the update. have a nice week!!

Quick Reply: Pics of ATTA 45RBR, Hutch, Harpoon done!