Sponsored by: DP Tuner

99 f-350 no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 07:48 PM
EvLTwIN
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 f-350 no start

I know out of the 3500 threads in this part of the forum this has been covered before, but after reading and reading I am still at wits end. I have a 1999 F 350 with the 7.3 diesel. It ran fine up until Friday. It ran great as a matter of fact. Monday, it would not crank. Since then I have replaced the high pressure oil pump, the injector pressure regulator, the cam sensor, and put a computer on it. I am getting six hundred and seventy pounds of pressure at the injectors, my voltage is good, I have no check engine lights, no codes, everything is functioning properly. When I cut the key on I get the wait to start and the check engine light comes on as normal. I have puffs of smoke out of the exhaust and the exhaust smells horrible. It will run if I shoot a shot of ether into the intake. but cuts off within 2 to 3 seconds. I'm not sure what else to do. I have replaced the fuel filter and the oil is good I topped off the oil after replacing the high pressure oil pump. All of my fuses are good, what else could it be?

Old 03-19-2015, 07:56 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
#1: Visual Engine/Chassis Inspection
Fuel
Oil
Coolant
Electrical
Hoses Leaks Check

#2 Check for contaminates Correct Grade and Viscosity
Miles/Hours on oil
Correct level

#3 Intake/Exhaust Restriction
Inspect air filter and ducts - exhaust system / Inspect exhaust back pressure device

#4 Sufficient Clean Fuel
Check if the WATER IN FUEL lamp has been illuminated.
After verifying that there is fuel in the tank, drain a sample from fuel filter housing at key on.
NOTE: Fuel pump will run for 20 sec. at key on

#5 Electric Fuel Pump Pressure
Verify that the fuel pump has voltage and gnd. present at key on.
Measure fuel pressure at the top of the right cylinder head with a (0-160 PSI) gauge at key on.
Spec: 45 PSIG Min.
If pressure fails low, go to step 8c on the Performance side of this sheet to identify cause

#6 Perform KOEO Demand Test
Use the Scan Tool / DTCs set during this test are current faults.
Note: IDM DTCs displayed here could be current or historical faults

#7 Retrieve Continuous Trouble Codes
DTCs retrieved during this test are historical faults.
Note: IDM DTCs are cleared when codes are cleared.

#8 KOEO Injector Electrical Self-Test
Use the SCAN Tester.
All injectors will momentarily buzz, then individual injectors will buzz in sequence 1 through 8.
IDM DTCs may be transmitted after test is completed.
Note: IDM DTCs may be historical if not cleared above

#9 Scan Tool - Data List Monitoring
A. Select the parameters indicated from the Scan Tool parameter list and monitor while cranking engine.
Parameter:
V-PWR 8 VDC Minimum.
RPM 100 RPM Minimum
ICP 500 PSI or 3.4 MPAM Minimum
FUEL PW: 1 MS - 6 MS
V-PWR - If indicating a low voltage condition, check battery voltage, charging system or power and ground circuits to the PCM.
B. RPM - Low RPM could be an indication of starting/ charging system problems
No RPM indicated with the engine cranking - could be CMP circuit fault, check for DTC’s.
C. ICP - A minimum of 500 PSI (3.4 mPa) is required before the injectors are enabled. No or low oil in the reservoir, system leakage, injector O-RiScan or faulty IPR could cause pressure loss.
Go to section 4 step 9c in the PC/ED Manual for a detailed description on how to perform this test.
Note: If no RPM signal is received, IPR duty cycle will default to 14%
D. FUEL PW - Even though a 1 to 6 mS FUEL PW is shown, it’s possible the IDM did not receive the signal due to a CI or FDCS circuit fault or internal IDM failure.
Glow Plug System Operation
Glow Plug ON time is dependent on oil temperature and altitude. The Glow Plug relay comes on between 1 and 120 sec. and does not come on at all if oil temp is above 131oF.
Verify that B+ is being supplied on the large BK/W wire going to the Glow Plug relay.
Install a voltmeter to the glow plug feed terminal (two brown wires or center terminal on the shunt).
Using the SCAN GPCTM and EOT PID’s, verify glow plug "on" time.
Turn key to run position, measure voltage (On “Time) (Dependent on oil temperature and altitude) Relay on time
Spec. Measurement 1 to 120 seconds B +
Note: Wait to Start Lamp "on" time (1-10 sec.) is independent from Glow Plug "on" time
Glow Plug Resistance
Remove both 9 pin connectors from valve covers
Measure each Glow Plug resistance to Batt. Ground.
Spec: .1 to 2 ohms
Measure engine harness resistance to relay
Glow Plug Connector to relay
Spec. 0 to 1 ohms
Number
#1 #5
#3 #6
#5 #7
#7 #8
Add 5 seconds to glow plug on time when above 7000 feet in altitude, but not to exceed 120 seconds.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:09 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
Avoid the ether. If it hits a hot glow plug it can fire the cylinder in the wrong part of the cycle. Could create a whole new reason for a no-start.

I'm guessing the horrible exhaust smell is due to fuel, but maybe it's not enough fuel to run. Swing open the fuel drain (yellow lever back of the bowl) and see what kind of flow you get when the pump is keyed on. Should be pretty substantial. If just trickling then the usual suspects are a dead pump or the screens in the tank are clogged, search Hutch mod. If it's alive you can hear the pump running for 20 seconds or so after keying on, bottom of the driver door.

Does the tach register some RPMs when cranking? What kind of computer did you put on it, and do you still have it to try some of the rocket science above?

We'll getcha going.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:59 AM
EvLTwIN
New User
The tachometer is reading rpms. I am using a snap on solus edge.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:22 AM
EvLTwIN
New User
The hutch mod may need to be preformed, but it pushes plenty of fuel. Pump is relatively new. Year or so old.