1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What to look for when buying a 2000 7.3 Powerstroke First Timer Here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 07:22 PM
7.3 Powerstroke Guy
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What to look for when buying a 2000 7.3 Powerstroke First Timer Here!

This weekend I'm going to look at a 2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 XLT. It has 228k miles on it and the truck and engine are bone stock. The seller told me that the batteries and starter have just been replaced. Also, there is no rust on the oil pan which does not leak. Is there anything in specific I should look at on the engine and truck to determine if the truck is worn out or not? Also, what should I look for when test driving the truck? Please offer me any advice. This is my first time purchasing a diesel Ford pickup.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Old 03-19-2015, 07:41 PM
Baatzy
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Take a look at the tech folder at the top of the forum page. There is a lot of good information in there. I recommend taking a look in there, doing some good reading and then posting more specific questions here if you still have them.

Baatzy

Old 03-19-2015, 07:53 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-19-2015, 08:07 PM
7.3 Powerstroke Guy
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Baatzy
Take a look at the tech folder at the top of the forum page. There is a lot of good information in there. I recommend taking a look in there, doing some good reading and then posting more specific questions here if you still have them.

Baatzy
Thanks for mentioning it to me!

Old 03-19-2015, 08:07 PM
7.3 Powerstroke Guy
Mountain Pass
I watched all of his videos. His information is extremely useful.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:08 PM
7.3 Powerstroke Guy
Mountain Pass
Old 03-19-2015, 08:35 PM
JuanHuevos
I'm still around...mostly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 7.3 Powerstroke Guy
I watched all of his videos. His information is extremely useful.
Hey man, skip those videos and check out the tech folder links posted above. That guy's advice is no good. Believe me when I tell you, I know.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:36 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by JuanHuevos
Hey man, skip those videos and check out the tech folder links posted above. That guy's advice is no good. Believe me when I tell you, I know.
Not everything he says is bogus. His videos are good for visual reference as to where things are located and most of his info is good. Like EVERYTHING on the internet take it with a grain of salt, verify, verify.

For the OP. pull the intake boot off and look at the turbo inlet compressor wheel to make sure it's not damaged. Here's a thread with examples
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...od-or-bad.html

If you can, do a crank test to check compression. here's an example of good compression on a 6.0. Do the same on a 7.3, you just have to jump the start solenoid on a 7.3.

Here's an example of bad compression. start watching the video at about the 2:50 time point

Old 03-20-2015, 04:55 AM
JuanHuevos
I'm still around...mostly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Not everything he says is bogus. His videos are good for visual reference as to where things are located and most of his info is good. Like EVERYTHING on the internet take it with a grain of salt, verify, verify...
Of course! He does say things that are true and you're right about the visuals. But if you're just starting out, you're not gonna know what is and is not bogus. That's why I said skip it go to a more trusted source like you fine folks.
One thing he does say that's good advice and this is for the OP, try and look at the truck cold. Don't let the seller have it warmed up for you when you get there. These things will hide problems sometimes when they're warm.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:35 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by JuanHuevos
try and look at the truck cold. Don't let the seller have it warmed up for you when you get there. These things will hide problems sometimes when they're warm.
Very good point. Agree 100%...........

Old 03-25-2015, 09:29 PM
7.3 Powerstroke Guy
Mountain Pass
There is another f250 I will be looking at on Saturday this weekend. I think the truck is an early 99 model. I can't tell for sure though, are there any problems with the early 99s? This truck is in really good shape from what I can tell. Do the early 99s have forged rods? This one has the badge on the fender.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:58 PM
Baatzy
Laughing Gas
There aren't any abnormal issues with the e99s. They have some slight differences but nothing to worry about IMHO. They should also have forged rods, the badge on the fender most likely means it is an e99. Enjoying the truck hunt?

Old 03-26-2015, 09:02 PM
7.3 Powerstroke Guy
Mountain Pass
There aren't any abnormal issues with the e99s. They have some slight differences but nothing to worry about IMHO. They should also have forged rods, the badge on the fender most likely means it is an e99. Enjoying the truck hunt?
I Sure am enjoying the truck hunt! I don't know if I want an early 99 or not, I'm skeptical. Is it true that they don't have as much power as the later 7.3s? I'm not looking to build the engine up for more power or anything. This one that I'm going to look at Saturday has a date of 6-98 on it. Also it has the manual transfer case shifter instead of the dash mounted switch for 4wd.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:15 PM
Baatzy
Laughing Gas
No, it isn't true. Any changes between the e99s and the rest are not enough to make any noticeable difference in power.From what I remember the only changes made on the powertrain were a few things in the intake circuit. If it really bothered you, you could change those parts over to match the rest of the MYs but there is no reason to if the truck is healthy.
EDIT: If the truck has noticeably less power than other stock 7.3s it is because it almost certainly has an issue somewhere, not because it is an e99.

Unless you really want that Shift on the fly, autocking hub functionality of the ESOF system, you're not missing out on anything. The manual transfer case makes for much easier troubleshooting if you ever have 4x4 issues. At the same time, with manual 4x4 I doubt you would ever have much of an issue.

If you have the time and the patience, wait until you found the right truck that absolutely fits everything you want. I "settled" for a Super Cab, now I find myself lusting after Crew Cabs.

Baatzy

Old 03-26-2015, 09:34 PM
7.3 Powerstroke Guy
Mountain Pass
No, it isn't true. Any changes between the e99s and the rest are not enough to make any noticeable difference in power.From what I remember the only changes made on the powertrain were a few things in the intake circuit. If it really bothered you, you could change those parts over to match the rest of the MYs but there is no reason to if the truck is healthy.
EDIT: If the truck has noticeably less power than other stock 7.3s it is because it almost certainly has an issue somewhere, not because it is an e99.

Unless you really want that Shift on the fly, autocking hub functionality of the ESOF system, you're not missing out on anything. The manual transfer case makes for much easier troubleshooting if you ever have 4x4 issues. At the same time, with manual 4x4 I doubt you would ever have much of an issue.

If you have the time and the patience, wait until you found the right truck that absolutely fits everything you want. I "settled" for a Super Cab, now I find myself lusting after Crew Cabs.

Baatzy
Yeah I guess I shouldn't be so concerned. I found a nice 2000 7.3 crew cab with 260k in good condition with no rust. Is 260k miles something to be concerned about? The truck looks to be in great shape. The only thing I'm concerned about with the CCLB is finding a place to park it. Here is the crew cab I may be looking at and the early 99.

CCLB 2000 F 250 powerstroke 7.3 diesel

Early 99 1999 f250 powerstroke 7.3litre

Quick Reply: What to look for when buying a 2000 7.3 Powerstroke First Timer Here!