Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake rotor fit

Old 03-19-2015, 07:08 PM
dunnerjeff
Junior User
dunnerjeff is starting off with a positive reputation.
Brake rotor fit

I need new front and rear rotors found a great set on amazon for 320$ but i guess there is a slight difference from early 99 to ones made after 12/98 any thoughts...

Old 03-19-2015, 07:13 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
The rotors on the e99's are smaller in diameter than the later models. It has been discussed here that you can use the larger rotors on an e99 if you change the mounting brackets too.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:50 PM
dunnerjeff
Junior User
thats what I'm running into and the caliper is so close to the rim i don't have a lot of play. but i think i found a set I hope....

Old 03-19-2015, 07:56 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
jhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to behold
To use the larger diameter rotor on any F250 or F350, e99-2003, you will need to change more than just the mounting bracket....rims and tires...etc. the larger diameter rotors are for F450's and F550's

The only difference in the rotors between the e99 4x4 F250 and F350 and later models is the offset...diameter is mostly the same. The hub unit assembly is what determines which offset you need. The e99 has less offset. This may be true for 2wd models...I am not sure.

Can someone else weigh in in case dunnerjeff has a 2wd.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:08 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
jhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to behold
This thread addresses the issue for the 4x4.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-factory.html

Old 03-20-2015, 06:22 AM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
OK so now I think I misunderstood in that other thread. The e99 has the larger rotors vs the later models?

Old 03-20-2015, 07:18 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
OK so now I think I misunderstood in that other thread. The e99 has the larger rotors vs the later models?
On 4x4's, and maybe 2wd, the rotors are the same diameter for F250/350 from e99 to at least '03 based upon what I have read and found when I replaced mine. The only difference is the offset.

Shake-N-Bake summed it up very well, I still can't send him reps, when he stated that there is no way the larger 14.5" rotor and caliper will fit inside the standard 16" rim that comes on the F250/350. 14.5" rotors came on the F450/550.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:33 PM
dunnerjeff
Junior User
Ok i found a set 13.3 front 12.8 rear drilled and slotted with ceramic pads for 340 out the door it is confusing a few of the mfg have data sheets and i found my model, so we will see when they arrive next week.....

Old 03-22-2015, 12:23 AM
Bonanza35
Post Fiend
Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dunnerjeff View Post
Ok i found a set 13.3 front 12.8 rear drilled and slotted with ceramic pads for 340 out the door it is confusing a few of the mfg have data sheets and i found my model, so we will see when they arrive next week.....
I don't know, not even ford sells the e99 rotors any more. You have to up date and change the hubs also. Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:23 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bonanza35 View Post
I don't know, not even ford sells the e99 rotors any more. You have to up date and change the hubs also. Let us know how it goes.
Exactly! The local FoMoCo dealer here doesn't have access to them due to the obsoleting of the e99 hub unit bearings, which determine offset, and the guy stated that the rotors are on the way out also if they aren't already gone.

You can still get the e99 rotors through NAPA and probably others as well though if you can't afford to do the whole change out right now...

I was in a position of having a bad hub unit bearing and a sticking caliper piston both of which were on the right side of the truck simultaneously. Coincidence? So, I decided to do it all at one time.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:25 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dunnerjeff View Post
I'd be interested in knowing what you think of the ceramic pads if you will update us.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:47 PM
Bonanza35
Post Fiend
Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
jhl3, did that gear vendors make a big difference? I guess what I'm asking do you think it was worth the money?

Old 03-23-2015, 07:12 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bonanza35 View Post
jhl3, did that gear vendors make a big difference? I guess what I'm asking do you think it was worth the money?
Well, the beast has 4.10 gearing which means 62 mph = 2000 rpm's which is OK for towing heavy going somewhere. With the GV engaged, it becomes a 3.20 equivalent and 2000 rpm's = 83 mph approx. which is great for coming home empty with an open trailer or saving a little fuel while doing daily work.

If it is an enclosed trailer you are not supposed to use it, even if empty, due to wind resistance....the mechanical impulse frequency from the 7.3 at low rpm's will damage the unit long term.

The unit is designed to handle up to 26k as long as there is zero extra wind resistance associated with the load.

It acts as a gear splitter, so, it is the equivalent of doubling the number of forward gears that you have available which is great for towing up a mountain. It effectively places an extra gear between the ones in your transmission.

I see no added benefit if all a truck does is work around a farm or city driving. The interstate is where it shines.

Another limitation is that you are not supposed to use an exhaust brake with it installed and if you are backing up a grade you should engage 4wd if you have it.
This is due to the clutch system in the unit.

The unit cannot be engaged while 4x4 is engaged due to the different gear ratios involved. It is mounted behind the transfer case. If you have a 2wd this is not an issue.

So, with some limitations, it is a nice addition. I have found that it is worth about 1.5 mpg. It is probably worth a bit more than that but, as you know, wind resistance is what kills economy on these trucks.

You will more than likely have to cut the drive shaft(s) when you install it.

You can find them on CL or eBay occasionally at a much better price...

I am not aware of an alternative. If there is, I'd like to know....

Old 03-23-2015, 02:38 PM
Bonanza35
Post Fiend
Thanks for the reply. Just what I needed to know.