1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Lees build - repair - negleted maintenance finds - pic heavy

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 03:45 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by lee00
What do the super duty valve covers get us?

Heaver duty wires and one plug instead two. Less failed, burnt wires.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:17 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Check the integrity of the walls on the oil cooler. They don't fail very often though so keep that in mind. Definatly replace the orings though. I think if you doing the uvch anyway the superduty setup is cheaper. Get motorcraft ones through riff raff. Also get a tube of motorcraft rtv

Old 06-17-2015, 04:07 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by lee00
What will that get me? It serves as a nice stool right now...
1. you will not scratch it by standing on it(yes, they do scratch)

2. you will not be bent over it and your back will thank you.

FYI. it is 4 bolts

Old 06-17-2015, 08:04 AM
lee00
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
Check the integrity of the walls on the oil cooler. They don't fail very often though so keep that in mind. Definatly replace the orings though. I think if you doing the uvch anyway the superduty setup is cheaper. Get motorcraft ones through riff raff. Also get a tube of motorcraft rtv

Switching over seems like a lot with going from two plugs to one.... change uvch, change truck side, and then from the gasket to the gp's...

Old 06-17-2015, 09:36 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're doing turbo work, then do an EBPV delete (unless you plan to use it for an exhaust brake or something) and replace all the pedestal o-rings. Also do the o-rings on the big gallery plugs on the back of the heads. You don't have to replace the plugs unless you booger them up removing them, but the o-rings are never going to be easier to replace than they are right now.

I would strongly suggest looking at bellowed up-pies while the engine is out as well. Riffraff sells them pretty cheap and then you don't have to worry about them leaking again. You can also modify your own and build them yourself if you or someone you know is handy with a welder. That's a job MUCH more easily done now than later on.

E-fuel isn't hard to do with the engine in the truck, so I wouldn't worry too much about that right now. That can be done any time. If you have leaks in the stock fuel system, spend $30 and buy the o-ring kit and get it sealed up. It will buy you some time and work just fine.

I would echo the other guys recommendations that you at least check out the wiring harnesses. If they look okay, I wouldn't mess wit it right now. It's not hard to pull the whole harness out of the truck and do the conversion on a workbench. If the harnesses look bad, that's one thing, but if they are okay y ou can delay that expense for a while.

One thing I would also suggest you do when the mill is out, even if you don't intend to do an upgraded exhaust or downpipe right now is to cut and flatten out the pinch welded seam in the firewall of the cab where you need to make room for an aftermarket 3" downpipe. It's arguably the most common mod on these trucks, and it's 10 times easier to get in there with a 3 pound hammer and a sawzall, make a couple cuts and them beat it flat with the engine out of the truck. Sure beats cutting, prying and cussing at it later on.

That's about all I can think of right now.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:24 AM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
If you're doing turbo work, then do an EBPV delete (unless you plan to use it for an exhaust brake or something) and replace all the pedestal o-rings. Also do the o-rings on the big gallery plugs on the back of the heads. You don't have to replace the plugs unless you booger them up removing them, but the o-rings are never going to be easier to replace than they are right now.

I would strongly suggest looking at bellowed up-pies while the engine is out as well. Riffraff sells them pretty cheap and then you don't have to worry about them leaking again. You can also modify your own and build them yourself if you or someone you know is handy with a welder. That's a job MUCH more easily done now than later on.

E-fuel isn't hard to do with the engine in the truck, so I wouldn't worry too much about that right now. That can be done any time. If you have leaks in the stock fuel system, spend $30 and buy the o-ring kit and get it sealed up. It will buy you some time and work just fine.

I would echo the other guys recommendations that you at least check out the wiring harnesses. If they look okay, I wouldn't mess wit it right now. It's not hard to pull the whole harness out of the truck and do the conversion on a workbench. If the harnesses look bad, that's one thing, but if they are okay y ou can delay that expense for a while.

One thing I would also suggest you do when the mill is out, even if you don't intend to do an upgraded exhaust or downpipe right now is to cut and flatten out the pinch welded seam in the firewall of the cab where you need to make room for an aftermarket 3" downpipe. It's arguably the most common mod on these trucks, and it's 10 times easier to get in there with a 3 pound hammer and a sawzall, make a couple cuts and them beat it flat with the engine out of the truck. Sure beats cutting, prying and cussing at it later on.

That's about all I can think of right now.
I will probably do turbo work..and never thought about the ebpv...

Bellowed will be on the list if compression test comes back decent.... I noticed a leak (carbon on the fire wall at the exhaust manifold to up gasket) while trying to get to the engine mount bolts...

DEfinitely plan on checking everything i can while it is open...hopefully it doesnt cost me to much more...(thats funny isn't it!)

Already has a 3 inch...but I need to clean it up and hit it with some paint...

Thank you....

btw you are one of a few I plan to try and catch at RRE to personally say thank you... hopefully i can find diesel brad, fordman67, clay, oldbird, moosemachine, and zx250 too

Old 06-17-2015, 09:16 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Love to meet you too Lee!

Old 06-17-2015, 10:04 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 389 Likes on 266 Posts
Hopefully we will be there. I'm nobody tho really.it will be great to put a face with a name !

Old 06-18-2015, 06:08 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking forward to meeting you, Lee. RRE is just around the corner!

Old 06-18-2015, 09:23 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman67
Hopefully we will be there. I'm nobody tho really.it will be great to put a face with a name !
he's the one that will roll in and you'll hear a "tick tock tick tock" coming from under the truck :-confused

Old 06-18-2015, 11:36 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
he's the one that will roll in and you'll hear a "tick tock tick tock" coming from under the truck :-confused
LOL ......

Old 06-18-2015, 11:58 AM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
LOL ......

Am i not privy to the ticking timebomb inside joke?

Old 06-18-2015, 12:10 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He just doubled (or more?) his power. We are all poking fun at him on how long his stock tranny will hold up.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:12 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
He just doubled (or more?) his power. We are all poking fun at him on how long his stock tranny will hold up.

Oh boy can't wait to see that...

Old 06-18-2015, 09:08 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

I hear it all the way out here in the old wild west! LOL

Quick Reply: Lees build - repair - negleted maintenance finds - pic heavy