6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Anyone Using SPE or Gearhead Tunes with H&S MM?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 12:33 PM
SultanGris
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robinsonpowerstroke

Ok so your final thoughts are hot x or street is better?
I like the hot x but it's adjustable from stock, tow, street, performance. I just run it stock or street most of the time, go up to performance to have a little fun with sports cars now and then. It's considerably better than the h&s tune as far as power and acceleration. With spe hot x my turbo psi is anywhere from 28-30 and hits 32 for a sec before leveling off in that range. H&s never went over 24, not sure if the fluctuation I get with the spe tune is normal or a result of whatever's causing my other issues, I never used the spe tune before the firmware update that started my issues.

When im towing on stock setting it will downshift to 4th gear going up a mountain where it used to use 5th before update and then about 5-10 seconds after it goes down into 4th my turbo psi cut to 15psi and fuel mileage goes way down and stays there till I power cycle the tuner. Then it's back to normal for a while till it downshifts again. When not towing it still happens but not as bad, it usually only limits it to 20-22 then. Very freaking odd.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:55 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SultanGris
I like the hot x but it's adjustable from stock, tow, street, performance. I just run it stock or street most of the time, go up to performance to have a little fun with sports cars now and then. It's considerably better than the h&s tune as far as power and acceleration. With spe hot x my turbo psi is anywhere from 28-30 and hits 32 for a sec before leveling off in that range. H&s never went over 24, not sure if the fluctuation I get with the spe tune is normal or a result of whatever's causing my other issues, I never used the spe tune before the firmware update that started my issues.
Are you running the stock turbo? I had heard that H&S set the limit of the stock turbo to 24 psi due to that was the limit of the turbo before failure. I may have been wrong though.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:21 PM
SultanGris
Elder User

Are you running the stock turbo? I had heard that H&S set the limit of the stock turbo to 24 psi due to that was the limit of the turbo before failure. I may have been wrong though.
Yes I am and yea I heard that too, that was the stock psi from the factory before you add a tuner too. Mines a 2013, they are a little different than the 11s which had lots of issues I think. It worries me a little but there's nothing I can do to change it. I figure if it goes out I'll just buy a bigger one, lol!

With the custom tune installed even using the stock setting it boosts to 29-30, I don't know if that's normal or due to whatever's wrong with it, but that's definitely not stock. I'd expect it to be limited to 24, anyone else using spe hot x? What boost do you get on stock power level?

Old 03-17-2015, 03:02 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SultanGris
I figure if it goes out I'll just buy a bigger one, lol!
LOL I really like your thought here! Just find the weakest link and upgrade that.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:25 PM
Gotsmoke12
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys! I'll jump in here because I am running Gearhead tunes on my '12. I originally ran the H&S tunes for about 75k miles, then last spring I switched and I have about 30k on Gearhead tunes. I was looking for a little more than the box tunes for a particularly heavy 300' pull.....

I feel like Gearhead is a little stronger and the tranny has very nice shift points, smooth and easy with light throttle but crisp under hard acceleration. I usually run the hot tune.

Before I purchased Gearheads tunes, I talked with a Matt who said that their hot tune basically maxes out the stock fuel. I have never felt ANY kind of hesitation or hiccup!

Another thing I noticed the other day is that boost stays very steady under hard(75%) acceleration, which I like. I think the highest I have seen was 32-33lbs.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:31 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Gotsmoke12
Hey guys! I'll jump in here because I am running Gearhead tunes on my '12. I originally ran the H&S tunes for about 75k miles, then last spring I switched and I have about 30k on Gearhead tunes. I was looking for a little more than the box tunes for a particularly heavy 300' pull..... I feel like Gearhead is a little stronger and the tranny has very nice shift points, smooth and easy with light throttle but crisp under hard acceleration. I usually run the hot tune. Before I purchased Gearheads tunes, I talked with a Matt who said that their hot tune basically maxes out the stock fuel. I have never felt ANY kind of hesitation or hiccup! Another thing I noticed the other day is that boost stays very steady under hard(75%) acceleration, which I like. I think the highest I have seen was 32-33lbs.
There is some good information provided here. Thanks for the info. I assume you deleted when you went about the Gearhead tunes?

Old 03-18-2015, 12:20 PM
Gotsmoke12
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
There is some good information provided here. Thanks for the info. I assume you deleted when you went about the Gearhead tunes?
No, I deleted at 14k mi when I first put minimax on my truck. I added Mcc unlock when I went to Gearhead.

My wife drives a 2011 6.7 that is all stock, so I go between a stock truck and deleted truck regularly, and shifting on mine is sooooo much better than stock! You will like it much more than what you currently have!

Old 03-18-2015, 12:32 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Gotsmoke12
My wife drives a 2011 6.7 that is all stock, so I go between a stock truck and deleted truck regularly, and shifting on mine is sooooo much better than stock! You will like it much more than what you currently have!
Good deal, that's what I wanted to hear!

Old 10-04-2017, 10:59 AM
JHBF250
New User
I wanted to check in on everyone that has the Gearhead or the SPE, how's it going? I have the stock Mini Maxx tunes and I am ready to upgrade to something better.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Jon

Old 10-04-2017, 10:37 PM
Sterling6.7
Mountain Pass
Tyrant is working better than GH for me. Better transmission tuning. Light years ahead of the canned tunes.