6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Who's right, me or Ford

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 07:55 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Who's right, me or Ford

This wasn't a big deal until Ford told me to "go fish" but now I'm mad. What do y'all think.

Dropped truck off for recall notice. I also told them that the passenger side mirror was loose and aggravating me. When the mirrors are extended and the passenger side door is closed, the passenger side mirror goes out of adjustment and I have to reset. Yesterday the Service advisor calls and tells me that his boss is slamming the door and the mirror isn't moving. I say "I am sorry that his boss can't close the door as firmly as my wife but I have no reason to make this up" He mumbles something and says good bye.

Today he calls and says a lot of stuff. First he told me that he had tried another truck and that the extended mirror was also loose. He opined that probably all the 6.7 mirrors did it and I should just get used to it. So I respond that the drivers side mirror on my truck does not do it , nor did any mirror on my previous two super dutys. Then he tells me that he would have replaced it but he called the Ford something or other office and was told he couldn't replace it. So I point out that the mirror is somewhere between the two bumpers and that it is warrantied for 3/36 against factory defects. And, that unless the mirror was designed to be loose when extended he should fix it. He then told me it couldn't be adjusted and Ford wouldn't authorize a new one. "Go Fish". That's where we left it.

So y'all tell me, am I being too picky or should I pursue it further?

Old 03-12-2015, 08:04 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
I would open up a ticket with Crystal and try your dealer near home or where you bought it.

My mirrors do not do this.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:10 PM
Blapensee
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you might be too picky but my '12 mirror doesn't move when the door is closed.. so i don't think yours should either. go to another dealer imo

Old 03-12-2015, 08:19 PM
Wrighton
Mountain Pass
Yes go to another dealer, the mirrors on my 12 are not loose when extended and my wife has history of slamming doors both truck and home!

Old 03-12-2015, 08:24 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
From a Ford dealer technician's standpoint, I will tell you from personal experience that exterior mirrors specifically seem to be an item that FoMoCo WILL NOT honour replacement under warranty EVEN IF the vehicle is still within 3/36 (3/60 in Canada). Although I can't explain the rhyme or reason to this, what I can tell you is one such experience I had with one particular vehicle where the mirror on said vehicle failed to adjust up and down. Said vehicle was well within basic warranty, and the part was even verified as covered when the base part number was ran. After replacement, and the claim submitted, the part came back returned with the claim denied with the explanation of "external cosmetic damage found on part". So even though the "damage" found on the part had absolutely nothing to do with the reason for replacement, the claim was still denied and our dealer had to eat the cost of the mirror as well as my labour to replace it, long after the customer had taken his vehicle.

So it's not the dealer's fault is what I'm trying to say. THEY aren't the ones making this decision. You can go to any other dealer to pursue this issue further if you choose to, but I can almost guarantee the outcome will be the same. Sorry if it isn't what you wanted to hear.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:06 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
You can try another dealer, but I agree with m-chan88. Ford is very critical of these mirrors for some reason. I've heard these same stories from my cousin (a Ford/RAM diesel tech).

I would say if Ford doesn't fix your mirror I would vote with my wallet and purchase another brand of truck when the time comes. It's that simple!

BTW... My mirrors are very stable.

Good luck...

Old 03-12-2015, 10:35 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 500 Likes on 168 Posts
Mine don't seen to lose adjustment, and my wife came from a gm family, growing up driving their junk from the '80s that the door might shut if you slammed it hard enough....

But Chan is on with his assessment, people clip these mirrors off stuff everyday, doctor it up to look good on the outside, come to dealer and lie about it. Ford, or any other oem, then debits the claim, causing dealers to be very gun shy.

No, it's not right, but the general public lacks the moral character we have here at FTE, so we suffer the consequences.......

Old 03-13-2015, 05:39 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Says to doctor "it hurts when I do this". Doctor says "stop doing that then".

Stanley, I think you should try another dealer, maybe the one at home that you like? Even if ford does not cover the part your dealer at home will prob be willing to make you happy anyway.

But, it's not the issue is it? The dealer shouldn't have to eat it and try to make up for it by charging the next new car buyer an extra $1800.

Your quandary is a good one, def balancing on a fence I am as well.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:46 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those are expensive mirrors, not like the old days. Try a different dealer, it should be no big deal to throw a new mirror on after the price you paid for that truck, if you cant find help 4X4 and drive through the front window

Old 03-13-2015, 05:57 AM
roadkingfl
Elder User

My next truck would have an inline 6! Just sayin.......

Old 03-13-2015, 06:17 AM
Rattler1
Senior User
Based on the above responses heres what I would do:

Check the mirror exterior over with a fine tooth comb for any serious damages that are from more than bug carcasses

Go to the dealer and tell them you want them to look at your mirror because you think the housing may be broken and take the service writer out to look at it

They will look over it and say 'I don't see any damage'

Then you say 'good now lets talk about what is wrong inside the mirror since there is no obvious damage to the exterior'

Old 03-13-2015, 06:44 AM
Joe/GA
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rattler1

Check the mirror exterior over with a fine tooth comb for any serious damages that are from more than bug carcasses

Go to the dealer and tell them you want them to look at your mirror because you think the housing may be broken and take the service writer out to look at it

Then you say 'good now lets talk about what is wrong inside the mirror since there is no obvious damage to the exterior'

Good idea! By the way, my 2011 and my 2015 never had any issues with the mirror adjustment from slamming the door. And, how come wives slam doors anyway? My wife is 4 foot nothing and she sometimes almost knocks the truck on its side when she closes the door!

Old 03-13-2015, 07:10 AM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rattler1

I would also do this. And as others have said, when you pay $60k-70k for a truck and get a bumper to bumper warranty the damn thing should cover every bit of it.
Here is the Phone# for Ford complaint if your dealer doesn't want to help you. 1 (800) 392-3673
And fwiw I don't think you are being picky.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:12 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
You are not being to picky imo. The mirrors should be stable and if you did not damage the mirror than there is no excuse for it not to be fixed on FORD's dime. Most dealers suck imo.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:51 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
No Stanley, you aren't being picky. For the price of these trucks, a warranty item should never be in question. You know damn good and well that a robot slammed and opened those doors thousands of times just like hundreds of thousands of us have done. And nothing went wrong. Yep, you have something wrong with yours. The guys above have pretty much the same sentiment. Also, as stated above, send Crystal and PM and see what she can do. She can't change their minds but may can get it to the appropriate person. Would be pretty bad for Ford image wise if they start having a rash of these things and won't fix them. Well, it already does look bad on them from people who know.

Quick Reply: Who's right, me or Ford