Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What kind of starter for 02 7.3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 05:32 PM
ScubaTX
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of starter for 02 7.3?

<hr size="1" style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"> So I need a new starter. I have a 2002 7.3 (F250). I've got 295,000 on my pickup and I am finally needing a new starter, mine is dragging pretty bad. It looks like on my '02 that it's the 2-holer, although there is an extra hole drilled and tapped for, what looks like might be or might have been for, a 3-holer. There's a ton of oil and grease up under there but it looks like a 2-holer I do have.
I've heard positive and negative about high torque starters. Should I get one from the stealership (I get a pretty good discount from there)? NAPA? Or what? I'm going with a NEW one either way. What kind and where should I get my new starter from? The last time I changed a starter out was on my '88 YJ Jeep, back in the 90's. Let me know what y'all know.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:55 PM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just replaced the starter on "HIS" Excursion last week...actually, TWICE! The one that went out was a 2.5 year old NAPA 3-bolt starter. I had the old factory starter as a backup, even though it was very weak. Luckily I had it. So, temporarily put the old one on while I got NAPA to replace my other one for free. The NAPA starter seems pretty danged solid...it cranks like a *****! What went wrong on it was the solenoid on the starter itself.

Anyway, on install #2, it took me a grand total of 45 minutes from the time I stepped into the garage, to when I turned the lights out on the garage. It's very easy to do. Here's my Cliff Notes way to change it:

Materials:
3/8 socket wrench
6" extension (for top starter bolt)
1/2 socket for batteries
17mm socket for starter bolts (yours might be different)
17mm open end wrench (stubby or smaller crescent) for large nut on starter
9mm open end wrench for small nut on starter
Floor Jack (if you don't have a 4x4)
(1) heavy duty jack stand
Wheel chocks

1. Disconnect positive cable on BOTH batteries.
2. Make sure #1 was done properly. No joke, otherwise you won't be laughing later, but we might be.
3. Engage emergency brake, chock rear wheels in proper direction of likely roll
4. Jack up passenger side of truck if you need clearance
5. Install jack stand, remove floor jack
6. Remove top starter bolt using the 6" extension and 17mm socket
7. Remove two bottom bolts
8. Holding the starter in place (and holding your tongue from cursing), unscrew the 17mm nut and the small 9mm nut from the two wires. Admire your bulging triceps afterward.
9. Work backwards from 8 through 1.

I found that for that *SOB* nut on top, a stubby handled swivel headed 3/8 socket wrench worked best. You know, the cheap ones you can get from Harbor Freight. It's not that bad, as long as you have the 6" extension.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:09 PM
ScubaTX
New User
Yeah, I'm good on all that.... and my battery nuts are 8mm, btw. But I just don't know what starter to go with, and from where. I have been reading so much dispute on them... 2 bolt vs 3.... Mitsubishi style vs. Denso... High torque vs the 2.5Kw, etc... I'm lost.
I mean, is any basic NAPA, or O'reilly new starter going to be fine or what, you know?

Old 03-11-2015, 06:53 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
The common wisdom at FTE (at least on THIS forum) says to take your original starter to a good-quality electrical rebuilder in your town and have them go through it.

No NAPA, no O'Reilly, no Checker, etc. They are all pretty-much either made in China if new, or rebuilt in Mexico if rebuilt. The quality just isn't there, as they are building them "to a price", not "with quality in mind".

Your local rebuilder has his reputation to uphold. It's the future of his business.

The reason the others have a lifetime guarantee is that nobody would buy that crap (at all) if there wasn't that guarantee.

Pop

Old 03-11-2015, 08:58 PM
ScubaTX
New User
Thank you, Pop. I was hoping to hear from you.
Now I just gotta figure out how to be without my truck for a few days, that was kinda the reason for wanting to buy a new one.
I appreciate ya.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:21 PM
liquidlounge
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
The common wisdom at FTE (at least on THIS forum) says to take your original starter to a good-quality electrical rebuilder in your town and have them go through it.

No NAPA, no O'Reilly, no Checker, etc. They are all pretty-much either made in China if new, or rebuilt in Mexico if rebuilt. The quality just isn't there, as they are building them "to a price", not "with quality in mind".

Your local rebuilder has his reputation to uphold. It's the future of his business.

The reason the others have a lifetime guarantee is that nobody would buy that crap (at all) if there wasn't that guarantee.

Pop
This is what I will try next. The quality of many replacement parts makes me just want to go buy a new truck. I'm surprised that some small specialty suppliers haven't popped up to fill this need for quality replacement parts. Kind of like the Red head steering boxes that everyone seems so happy with. A life time warranty means nothing if you are not getting good service out of a part.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:04 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Originally Posted by ScubaTX
Thank you, Pop. I was hoping to hear from you.
Now I just gotta figure out how to be without my truck for a few days, that was kinda the reason for wanting to buy a new one.
I appreciate ya.
From the time you lay it on their counter top, they should be able to have it back to you in four-to-five hours if you ask nice and they're any good.

Same-day service isn't unheard of, but you need to ask.

Pop

Old 03-12-2015, 05:09 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
From the time you lay it on their counter top, they should be able to have it back to you in four-to-five hours if you ask nice and they're any good.

Same-day service isn't unheard of, but you need to ask.

Pop
We have our local rebuilder on our Christmas card list, and we always give him back-strap first, after hunting season starts. We really appreciate all he does for us. He has a lifetime warranty, but we never get to use it. He only uses American-made parts. A true craftsman!

Old 03-12-2015, 09:45 AM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Back in TX I found a local rebuilder for an alternator. They did it in about 4 hours, even though I was in no hurry. So as Pop suggested, just find one that will give you a day he can do it quickly, pop that sucker out of there the night before and drop off first thing in the morning.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:24 AM
mototrig
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have a seemingly dumb question. Other than a stamp or sticker that says "FORD" on it, is their any identifying features on the OEM starter separating it from an auto parts store starter. Did I read it correctly that the OEM has 3 mounting holes? I'm only asking because I am about to chase down a slow cranking issue. Thanks for letting me hi-jack a little.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:39 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mototrig
I have a seemingly dumb question. Other than a stamp or sticker that says "FORD" on it, is their any identifying features on the OEM starter separating it from an auto parts store starter. Did I read it correctly that the OEM has 3 mounting holes? I'm only asking because I am about to chase down a slow cranking issue. Thanks for letting me hi-jack a little.
If it's a reman OEM starter it might have motorcraft stamped in the casting but not sure. I know they changed from a 2 hole to a 3 hole but not sure what year they made the change. If I was you I would get your OE starter rebuilt and skip the Chinese knock off starters.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:09 AM
mototrig
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
If I was you I would get your OE starter rebuilt and skip the Chinese knock off starters.
Not sure if the PO of my truck ever had the starter replaced. Hopefully I have the OE so I can rebuild it. Thanks for the info

Old 03-25-2015, 11:13 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
I know they changed from a 2 hole to a 3 hole but not sure what year they made the change.
For model year 2002 Ford changed FROM a three-bolt planetary-gear (PLGR) Mitsubishi starter (which had been used since the introduction of the PowerStroke) TO a two-bolt offset-gear (OSGR) NipponDenso design.

One mounting bolt LESS. Guess they realized some savings in their production costs.

Or sumptin'....

Pop

Old 03-25-2015, 11:16 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks for correcting me Pop.

Old 12-29-2021, 09:51 PM
nboyer
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Powermaster 9051

FWIW - my 02 7.3 Excursion had its starter go out (2nd owner - not sure what I took out but it was a 2 bolt) and I replaced it with a Powermaster 9051. Seems like a quality starter (turns over much faster) but I’ll update if it gives me issues. One piece of advice - I originally installed it without the included spacer. I had seen a YT install with a similar NippoDenso starter that used the spacer and the distance was off on a 00 F-250. USE the spacer if you install the Powermaster on a 02 Excursion. You’ll save yourself a lot of frustration.

Quick Reply: What kind of starter for 02 7.3?