6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Dpf & egr rookie questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 12:55 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Oh, and program the truck first, pretty rare, but I've seen a few threads where guys have stripped their trucks, installed the new exhaust and then tired to load the tuning, which didn't work and had to wait to get new programming, leaving their trucks dead for that period of time.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:10 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ndStroke
Oh, and program the truck first, pretty rare, but I've seen a few threads where guys have stripped their trucks, installed the new exhaust and then tired to load the tuning, which didn't work and had to wait to get new programming, leaving their trucks dead for that period of time.
good point..

Old 03-16-2015, 10:32 PM
jwsrules
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi good timing on this thread. Im buying a 2012 and was emailing shops about the deletes, and wasn't sure if had to do full egr delete or just the blocking it off. As the shops say it takes 7.5hrs to do full delete of egr. Im in canada so not sure it that matters

Old 03-17-2015, 07:05 AM
SultanGris
Elder User
I'm not a big fan of h&s, I have one and am having issues with it after I updated its firmware. They do not support or warranty their product anymore and no longer offer new updates which leaves you SOL if you have a problem with it. Even though you buy a brand new sealed tuner from a distributor h&s says they haven't sold any in over a year so the warranty period is expired.

My turbo boost psi is randomly limited sometimes under load, its not consistent when it occurs and power cycling the tuner fixes it temporarily so I'm thinking the firmware update messed something up. Unfortunately there's no way to go back to the working version. I've tried two different custom tunes and they both do it so it's not the tune. No one Ive talked to had any ideas how to solve the problem except going back to stock and then I have a $2000 paperweight, lovely.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:10 AM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by SultanGris
I'm not a big fan of h&s, I have one and am having issues with it after I updated its firmware. They do not support or warranty their product anymore and no longer offer new updates which leaves you SOL if you have a problem with it. Even though you buy a brand new sealed tuner from a distributor h&s says they haven't sold any in over a year so the warranty period is expired.

My turbo boost psi is randomly limited sometimes under load, its not consistent when it occurs and power cycling the tuner fixes it temporarily so I'm thinking the firmware update messed something up. Unfortunately there's no way to go back to the working version. I've tried two different custom tunes and they both do it so it's not the tune. No one Ive talked to had any ideas how to solve the problem except going back to stock and then I have a $2000 paperweight, lovely.
You have been running custom tunes from the start, no? So not sure why you would mess with anything to begin with, if you had issues, it should have been with who ever supplied you with the tunes.

You could try a full sd download.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:45 AM
bbaudoin
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 2ndStroke
You have been running custom tunes from the start, no? So not sure why you would mess with anything to begin with, if you had issues, it should have been with who ever supplied you with the tunes.

You could try a full sd download.

I was wondering the same thing. Why use a custom tune when the MM comes with the tune needed for the delete? Is that really necessary? I'm a beginner, and not really sure what gets tweaked with a custom tune.
I want to delete soon. I have the tuner - just need to get the other hardware and tear into it one day.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:51 AM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bbaudoin
I was wondering the same thing. Why use a custom tune when the MM comes with the tune needed for the delete? Is that really necessary? I'm a beginner, and not really sure what gets tweaked with a custom tune.
I want to delete soon. I have the tuner - just need to get the other hardware and tear into it one day.
After h&s started to get in trouble, they only sold street tuners (undeletable). The custom tuning is how you could delete with a street tuner. Unless you can find an off-road tuner, which yes, would do the delete, but probably impossible to find and only worked on the 11/12s.

My thought is if your running custom tunes, there is no point to mess with the tuner by updating as your not running the tuners canned tunes...

Old 03-17-2015, 12:38 PM
SultanGris
Elder User
I ran the stock h&s tune for a while before I deleted with no issues. I updated firmware before using custom tune as per the install directions. initially thought the tune was the issue but I got a different one and it still happens so it's gotta be the tuner I'm thinking.

You can get a code to delete emissions with h&s tunes and that's what I wanted and asked for but there was some confusion and Im not sure if I got it because when I first installed it there was a question that asked if emissions were present, I said yes cause they were at the time and after firmware update I never say that question again and it's nowhere in the menu so I don't know what the deal is. Spe uses the custom tune to delete bypassing the need for that code. When I asked for it later to test if the custom they wanted a lot more money so I didn't get it. I don't see anywhere to enter it in the menus anyway, they might have to do something else to switch it over.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:14 PM
SultanGris
Elder User
What really pisses me off though is I had no idea they got sued and were out of business as h&s performance cause their website makes it appear they are still supporting the product and I wasted a considerable amount of time over the course of a month trying to contact the dip****s for help and they ignored me until I said I was gonna stop by their building. I filled out the contact form on their site multiple times with no response, I called their phone multiple times which goes to a recording listing their business hours but they never answer or return the call.

Finally I found out that they changed their name to h&s motorsports and it's the same owners in the same building. When I finally got ahold of them they said they were unaffiliated, knew nothing about tuners and wouldn't help me at all.

Facking *******es, I wouldn't be near so mad if their website was updated to reflect the fact they no longer support the product but they maintain the illusion of support and ignore attempts to contact them.

Their forum is full of people trying to contact them but the only time they bothered to post on it response to anyone was when I mentioned I'm only 2 hours from them and was gonna stop by since they never answer the phone, then they told me that they haven't sold any tuners in over a year and wouldn't honor the warranty even though I got a new one from their distributor. They said my tuner was probably counterfeit and basically go fack yourself we won't help you.

Should start a class action lawsuit against them for making people think they are still supporting the product while ignoring everyone with problems that are trying to contact them. How hard is it to change the website to remove the contact us submission form they never respond to and change the recording on the phone that they never answer to a message stating they no longer support it due to the epa problems. Why pay for a phone number they never answer with a recording of incorrect information anyway? Frickin assclowns.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:51 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SultanGris
What really pisses me off though is I had no idea they got sued and were out of business as h&s performance cause their website makes it appear they are still supporting the product and I wasted a considerable amount of time over the course of a month trying to contact the dip****s for help and they ignored me until I said I was gonna stop by their building. I filled out the contact form on their site multiple times with no response, I called their phone multiple times which goes to a recording listing their business hours but they never answer or return the call.

Finally I found out that they changed their name to h&s motorsports and it's the same owners in the same building. When I finally got ahold of them they said they were unaffiliated, knew nothing about tuners and wouldn't help me at all.

Facking *******es, I wouldn't be near so mad if their website was updated to reflect the fact they no longer support the product but they maintain the illusion of support and ignore attempts to contact them.

Their forum is full of people trying to contact them but the only time they bothered to post on it response to anyone was when I mentioned I'm only 2 hours from them and was gonna stop by since they never answer the phone, then they told me that they haven't sold any tuners in over a year and wouldn't honor the warranty even though I got a new one from their distributor. They said my tuner was probably counterfeit and basically go fack yourself we won't help you.

Should start a class action lawsuit against them for making people think they are still supporting the product while ignoring everyone with problems that are trying to contact them. How hard is it to change the website to remove the contact us submission form they never respond to and change the recording on the phone that they never answer to a message stating they no longer support it due to the epa problems. Why pay for a phone number they never answer with a recording of incorrect information anyway? Frickin assclowns.
we have no idea what the restrictions are based on the suit. they may NOT be ABLE to change the pages, based on legal issues.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:25 PM
SultanGris
Elder User
Originally Posted by sdetweil

we have no idea what the restrictions are based on the suit. they may NOT be ABLE to change the pages, based on legal issues.
Normally in such cases it's required to change or completely remove it.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:00 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey sultan, I'm not real sure but I think you can buy a tune from another company that will run on the mini maxx. I know it's just more money but it also is a possible solution.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:38 PM
SultanGris
Elder User
Originally Posted by ruschejj
Hey sultan, I'm not real sure but I think you can buy a tune from another company that will run on the mini maxx. I know it's just more money but it also is a possible solution.
Yea but I'm pretty sure the tune isn't the problem. I've tried two from the same guys but they are completely different tunes, doubt they would mess up two of them.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:09 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you gotten any help with the folks that you purchased the tuner from? I'm assuming you bought everything from a diesel performance shop...

Old 03-17-2015, 11:07 PM
SultanGris
Elder User
Originally Posted by RigTrash601
Have you gotten any help with the folks that you purchased the tuner from? I'm assuming you bought everything from a diesel performance shop...
Yea, spe. They've been great to the best of their ability but they've never heard of anyone with this problem and have no idea what may cause it. They said go back to stock and see what happens to see if it's the tuner for sure or not. Currently 1500 miles from my emissions parts for another month or so and I really don't want to go through the hassle of putting it all back on and then taking it all off again but I really don't have much choice. If it is the tuner for sure I don't know if they are gonna be able to do anything though. I won't be buying any more h&s products however, going with a company that stands behind their product next time. And I Damn sure ain't ever updating firmware on anything that's working fine anymore, lol! Wish I'd have known h&s was done before I did it, probably would've left it alone

Quick Reply: Dpf & egr rookie questions