1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Why is my Serpentine Belt Out of Production?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 03:43 PM
PSDBlueOx
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why is my Serpentine Belt Out of Production?

Recently had a serpentine belt shred to bits on the road due to a vacuum pump spindle failure.

Both the aftermarket makers and FMP call out a 1189 (Motorcraft part JK8-1189) for my VIN number. No way was that belt gonna fit, even with the old tensioner assembly (which I also later replaced).

But here's the rub - the Ford catalogs appear to assume that I don't have a mechanical vacuum pump pulley between the A/C pulley and the power steering pulley in the serpentine loop. The repair manual the dealership parts manager showed me showed me the same loop as my truck (a different loop as the parts catalog), but did not spec out a part number.

Leaving out the vacuum pump pulley made the catalog part fit perfectly! OK fine, but I think I need brakes, too! ;-)

I then tried a JK8-1267 ... too loose .. I then tried a Napa equivalent of a JK8-1223 - just a hair too small.

The parts desk gal suggested a JK8-1237 - an out-of-production part according to fordparts.com - that had to come out of the regional warehouse - perfect fit, and the truck runs fine now.

It's disturbing that nobody within FMP can tell me what belt the truck was fitted with at the factory - again, the original belt is shredded on a roadside so I have nothing to compare with.

OK, my truck's running again, but are there so few F-250s in my configuration (7.3L PSD with A/C and mechanical vacuum pump) on the road that they're justified in taking the part out of production? No equivalent available on the aftermarket, either.

I suppose I better go buy two more JK8-1237s before they're gone forever ..

P.S. the parts manager (while not sure) could not find an application for the 1237, but guessed it was for an E-series....

Any clues, folks? How could I get Ford to help me research this?

Old 03-10-2015, 03:47 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
Every obs 250&350 issues the same belt unless you have a SD dual tensioner then the belt IS slightly different . if so then search dual tensioner mod and there are different belt lengths. Belts are the easiest item...IF you have a good parts person.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:10 PM
PSDBlueOx
New User
I don't think there was a mod - the tensioner I removed was an old-looking Ford-stamped part (grooved pulley upper left, smooth pulley lower right, 1/2"-drive socket) exactly matching the belt routing sticker. Guessing it's factory equipment.

The 1223 might have fit with both 1) a smaller idler pulley between alternator and A/C , and 2) a smaller vacuum pump pulley...

But again, would still be nice to know what it had coming out of the factory...

Old 03-10-2015, 04:16 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I do believe it may have been a recal. My truck has the same as you with the decal but I can see there is anothe decal underneath. I went through the same issue trying to find a belt. I brought my of one to the parts store, measured it up and he came back with a different size but still said 7.3 powerstroke. Nothing was in there books about it though. I always keep a spare behind the seat

Old 03-10-2015, 05:09 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If your tensioner has two pulleys, that's the SD tensioner, so it HAS had the mod.

Do both pulleys move when you wind up the tensioner spring?

Old 03-10-2015, 05:30 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Originally Posted by madpogue
If your tensioner has two pulleys, that's the SD tensioner, so it HAS had the mod. Do both pulleys move when you wind up the tensioner spring?
yes they do
Tensioner

Sticker

It's a pretty well done mod in my opinion. Notice the placement of the alternator and a/c as well. You can also see the original sticker underneath.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:04 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where did you get the sticker from?

Old 03-10-2015, 06:37 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
It was on the truck when I got it. There also no modification to the Alternator bracket

Old 03-10-2015, 07:37 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
So to answer your "out of the factory" question, it had a single-pulley tensioner, a fixed idler next to it, and most likely an 1189 belt. No longer relevant, with the new tensioner. A 1223 belt _should_ fit. Any reason you're looking for an OEM belt? True, many parts are best obtained OEM, but wrt. hoses and belts, the "big" aftermarket brandes (Gates, Dayco, Goodyear) are all reputable.

And I suspect if you looked closer at your alt bracket, you'll see that it's modified. If the cuts are done right, it might not be immediately noticeable. TSB for the mod is here - http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/949...les/982314.pdf ; compare your bracket with the "before" and "after" mod pics.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:27 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Woo touché on the bracket. Yes they did a very nice job. The sticker points to both pulleys as a tensioner. Not an idler.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:34 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Yup, the SD tensioner replaces the old single-pulley tensioner AND the fixed pulley that was next to it.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:37 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice of ford to publish an article on it though.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:14 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Originally Posted by madpogue
Yup, the SD tensioner replaces the old single-pulley tensioner AND the fixed pulley that was next to it.
I understand that. But the superduties have the alternator and ac setup on the opposite sides to the obs. Did they release an updated sticker I guess is what I'm asking?

Old 03-10-2015, 10:36 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
At that time they did have a sticker.they however I believe are no longer available.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:39 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Nick your pic kinda looks like mine haha.

Quick Reply: Why is my Serpentine Belt Out of Production?