6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4, bio-diesel, and Diesel HPR

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 06:07 AM
Njstern87
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
6.4, bio-diesel, and Diesel HPR

On a recent trip to LA from Sacramento I found that the Flying J truck stops is now exclusively selling bi-diesel tagged B20. knowing the the owners Manuel says no more than B5 I opted to keep on driving to the next place that had straight diesel no2. Does anybody know if ford has ever approved B20 for use in the 6.4 being the major truck stops seem to be slowly phasing out no.2 Diesel?

I also saw that the local station by my house that sells Propel fuels is now pushing this new stuff called Diesel HPR, they tote it as being a NON-Bio diesel however a Google search of the stuff says otherwise. Has anybody ever herd of this Diesel HPR, and what would your thoughts be on it?

Thanks,

Nick

Old 03-08-2015, 08:39 AM
Softballdad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About a year ago I sent an email to ford asking about the use of B20 in the 6.4. Their response was its not approved for any blend higher than B5, and if I had a fuel warranty issue it would not be covered. I'm not sure what fords take is now.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:05 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Softballdad
About a year ago I sent an email to ford asking about the use of B20 in the 6.4. Their response was its not approved for any blend higher than B5, and if I had a fuel warranty issue it would not be covered. I'm not sure what fords take is now.
Still the same take on the 6.0 and 6.4. The only engine approved for higher Bio use is ofcourse the 6.7.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:54 PM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
My question isn't about bio diesel, but about appropriate fuel usage and what damage can be caused...
I saw a sticker at a Loaf n Jug station in Cheyenne on the fuel pump that referred to the fuel at the pump is low sulpher diesel. It was not saying Ultra low sulpher, but low sulphur diesel. Would that have just been a mistake and they never put new stickers up or is there low suphur still available? What would it do to a 6.4? with dpf and/or without?
I looked at the next island over and it had the same sticker for low sulphur diesel. Both stickers looked fairly new too!

Old 03-13-2015, 04:19 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
They don't produce LSD, everything you buy in the US is now ULSD

Old 03-13-2015, 06:04 PM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
Originally Posted by slowmans
They don't produce LSD, everything you buy in the US is now ULSD
Thats what I thought, just kinda made me wonder if its possible to still have that made.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:56 PM
blackeyed1
Senior User
I would make sure. There is one station here in the Detroit area that I stopped at one day. It stated LSD, not ULSD. I went elsewhere.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:57 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
its government regulation

Old 03-14-2015, 07:55 AM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They didn't change stickers is all. You cannot get LSD anymore...

Old 03-16-2015, 02:42 PM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
They didn't change stickers is all. You cannot get LSD anymore..

That seems to be the case. The fuel delivery truck driver was in that same store today. I asked him about it. He said it was the 15 ppm ULSD and the stickers just had not been changed by the store managers. He also let me know that the cetane # was 43.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:38 PM
Njstern87
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
So I have been emailing back and foruth with Propel fuels, and ford in regards to this new product called Diesel HPR. My concern is to what will be covered under the warranty if I have a fuel system screw up while using the Biodiesl or the Diesel HPR fuels. My response wasn't what I expected, but I thought it was good info for all on here with similar questions.

Can biodiesel void my manufacturer warranty?

No, vehicle and engine manufacturer warranties apply to the specific products they manufacture. Fuel or fuel additives are not covered under a vehicle warranty. Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, if an engine experiences a malfunction due to parts and workmanship while under warranty, and it is not related to the fuel, it must be covered under the OEM’s warranty. Conversely, if it is determined that an engine malfunction is caused by the fuel used, it would become the responsibility of the fuel supplier to correct the problem. Under our Performance Guarantee, if Propel fuels are proven to be the cause of failure to any warranted fuel system, Propel will fix or replace the damaged material at no cost.
I guess I might have to try a tank if they will stand behind their fuel if ford chooses not to warranty the fuel system. I will let you know of further developments.

-Nick

Old 04-04-2015, 08:21 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel will be the primary highway diesel fuel produced - Clean Diesel Fuel Alliance Since 2010, only ULSD was legally available for highway use. 2006 in California.

That's interesting about bio-diesel though and the 6.4. Around here, just about all diesel is bio to some degree. I believe the oil companies get a government subsidy to use it, and, it is also a great lubricant for the fuel system. Locally, all Marathon/Speedway and those that they deliver to, have bio in their diesel. I got that directly from a Marathon employee at their distribution plant a couple years ago. Also, some truckstops list on their pumps anywhere from 5% to 20% biodiesel. What no one lists on their pumps though is cetane rating! I wonder if that could be the issue with running bio in the 6.0 and the 6.4. Bio I believe does have a lower cetane rating.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:22 AM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel will be the primary highway diesel fuel produced - Clean Diesel Fuel Alliance Since 2010, only ULSD was legally available for highway use. 2006 in California.

That's interesting about bio-diesel though and the 6.4. Around here, just about all diesel is bio to some degree. I believe the oil companies get a government subsidy to use it, and, it is also a great lubricant for the fuel system. Locally, all Marathon/Speedway and those that they deliver to, have bio in their diesel. I got that directly from a Marathon employee at their distribution plant a couple years ago. Also, some truckstops list on their pumps anywhere from 5% to 20% biodiesel. What no one lists on their pumps though is cetane rating! I wonder if that could be the issue with running bio in the 6.0 and the 6.4. Bio I believe does have a lower cetane rating.
Bio has a HIGHER cetane rating.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:37 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

I personally ran B50-B75 during a year and had no ill report, i did a write up on here i just didn't take the time to find it.

I made all my own bio from WVO. I didn't just screen WVO and drop in the tank. I can't remember but i think i ran close to 1000 gallons. At the time i had more time then money so i collected oil and made the bio diesel. I probably made around 5,000 gallons but was burning it in my heavy equipment, trucks anything that took diesel. I only had an issue with a diesel generator that didn't get used much. It did gum up the fuel system after sitting 6-9 months. So you have to use it as you produce it.

A lot of the Bio-diesel in our area is plain new soy oil added to diesel to get the B5,B10 or B20, i really cannot see how this can have any ill affect other then how the emission handle it.

My truck has DPF removed and i have ran the B20 at the pump and the truck loves its, again no ill issues. I don't search for it but if that is all the station has that i pull in too, i use it.

Honestly just how different is a 6.4 fuel system from a 6.7 on the decision of B5 or B20. Is the filter system that better, cause last time i checked the 6.7 was more sensitive to water in the fuel then a 6.4 and we all know the stories on that. We can get into the seal and o-ring, and different fuel tank decision that could be the difference but i wonder how much bio diesel is made the very same way as we get it local i personally never researched it.

There are a lot of people that think bio-diesel is just french fry oil dump in the tank, fact many collect the oil and screen it down around 50-80 microns and dump it in. Thats probably the worst source but its bio-diesel. The process i used was esterification followed by transesterification, your basically chemically striping the WVO to make fuel, then wash it, dry it and filter it down to 5 microns through a series of filters, the higher cetane comes from using menthol in this process. Very different from adding clean new soy oil to diesel. There are many different Bio-diesel sources so i guess it would be beneficial to now what your getting at the pump.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:29 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
I have run B-50 to B-100 all last summer with no ill effects either, I'm also deleted and see nothing but positives. I have done the research and been the experimenter and say go right ahead..

Quick Reply: 6.4, bio-diesel, and Diesel HPR