6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

water separator and wrench light on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 08:37 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
water separator and wrench light on?

I was driving today and the "drain water separator" warning came on the dash. it was also followed by a wrench, and alternated between the two lights. I attempted to drain the water, but only small drops came out. I tried cleaning out the drain, no change. It has been drastically cold here the past few weeks, and i haven't used the truck much. I understand that it might be plugged up. My question is this. Can i remove the triangle cover (and unglog) without having to replace the gasket? Or can i remove the filter and clean it out, then put back the same filter? My plan in to get it to the dealer this week for filter change and oil change, but i need to drive it a couple times before then. Or does anyone else have any advice.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:56 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can take the cover off and drain the separator, it's like a 50/50 crap shoot. I have heard of it done several times without issue, and a few times with issue. It needs to be drained, and if you can't get it to the dealer to get it serviced I'd take it off. If you don't run a fuel conditioner/ lubricant now I most certainly would get some in it right away and run a heavy mixture to get some lubricant to the fuel pump.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:40 AM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Am i correct in stating that the triangle valve cover doesn't have a gasket only 2 o rings? The gasket i found listed is for the whole rectangle cover. I am hoping that I can just remove the triangle cover and clean out the valve and the 2 holes to get it to drain.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:50 AM
fatboytx
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope, the entire cover comes off. Buy a new gasket and water sensor. Use a cordless drill with correct bit to remove screws. Have bucket for about qt of fuel. Clean it out well and replace the sensor. Very easy project.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:54 AM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
This is what I am talking about.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:34 PM
fatboytx
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to your original post ... there is a real good chance that your wrench light came on because either your sensor failed or the sensor is clogged with paraffin. You already know you have paraffin blocking the valve, so its probably fouled the sensor too. I had to do the same repair, shortly after getting my truck, and I drove it over to the dealership, bought the parts and then drove it home and did the repair a few days later.

The fix is to: pull the fuel filter, remove the cover, clean it all out, change cover gasket, change the sensor and change both fuel filters. You could try to save yourself some money but this total job is less than $80. I'd estimate about $20 for the sensor, $50 for fuel filters and $9 for the gasket. I don't recall the exact prices but I do recall that it was a very easy job.

If it were my truck I'd be perfectly comfortable driving it over to the dealership if they are going to work on it. You have to decide how comfortable you are.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:35 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
I was able to get it flowing.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:10 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Originally Posted by fatboytx
Back to your original post ... there is a real good chance that your wrench light came on because either your sensor failed or the sensor is clogged with paraffin. You already know you have paraffin blocking the valve, so its probably fouled the sensor too. I had to do the same repair, shortly after getting my truck, and I drove it over to the dealership, bought the parts and then drove it home and did the repair a few days later.

The fix is to: pull the fuel filter, remove the cover, clean it all out, change cover gasket, change the sensor and change both fuel filters. You could try to save yourself some money but this total job is less than $80. I'd estimate about $20 for the sensor, $50 for fuel filters and $9 for the gasket. I don't recall the exact prices but I do recall that it was a very easy job.

If it were my truck I'd be perfectly comfortable driving it over to the dealership if they are going to work on it. You have to decide how comfortable you are.
I totally understand this and respect your advice. I usually have the dealer do the filters and oil changes. i did get it flowing using a tip i found on another thread. Got a bunch if crap out in the flow stream. i turned the key on to start the fuel pump, then drained again. Did this a couple times. Then i ran the truck for a few minutes. No lights in the dash. then i went for a drive and added some diesel kleen. So far so good. i will have the dealer do the filters and oil change this week. But when the warmer weather comes, i will tear it apart and clean it out following your recommendations.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:30 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
You want to drain that every 30 days, more if you get a lot of water, I usually only get a drop or two of water when I drain mine.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:28 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
You want to drain that every 30 days, more if you get a lot of water, I usually only get a drop or two of water when I drain mine.
I usually do drain it once a month. the problem is i dont drive the truck enough. Especially in the winter months. I have owned this truck since june 2007, and only have 41,700 miles on it. I never had either of the warnings show on the dash. the truck gets it work out during the camping season towing our 37' fifth wheel camper.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:50 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
A lot of people use their trucks same as you, part time, good way to make a vehicle last, only problem is in a diesels mind it would rather be working. Seems that doesn't matter so much for a gasser, but for some reason diesels not so much. I'm sure it will like it much more after a couple of tanks of fuel pulling the 5ver around.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:15 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
A lot of people use their trucks same as you, part time, good way to make a vehicle last, only problem is in a diesels mind it would rather be working. Seems that doesn't matter so much for a gasser, but for some reason diesels not so much. I'm sure it will like it much more after a couple of tanks of fuel pulling the 5ver around.
I work for a cable company, and get to drive my work van to and from home. So the truck sits a lot. I do drive it, just not long trips.