1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

83 F100 Wiring Diagram Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 01:09 PM
JordanL91
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
83 F100 Wiring Diagram Help

Hey guys, Do we have all wiring diagrams posted on the website like other forums do? If so where are these located? I'm looking for my trucks full wire and electrical diagrams along with fuse boxes with all other misc. electrical items... Can anyone help me locate these? Is there a site that sells all this in a premastered pdf format? Any help is appreciated!

Old 03-04-2015, 01:52 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
No, we don't have that here, but you can go purchase the books for your specific year if you're interested. The Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM) is good to have, as is the full-blown Wiring Diagrams manual - both available on eBay and at various places that sell used automotive literature (e.g. Faxon, etc.). Both manuals have their uses at different times.

In (premastered? daphuque is that?) PDF format? Gimme a frickin' break.... these trucks were built when the PC revolution was just taking hold (IBM PC introduced to the world in December of 1981 IIRC) and it wasn't until the mid-90s that the consumer-oriented variants (read: inexpensive enough) became fast enough to deal with PDF files (technology which didn't come about until the early 90s IIRC)... IBM Mainframes were the king of the computing world at the time.

I realize you are probably 24 yo and this is before your time so I guess it's something of a history lesson for ya....

Regardless, no, we don't plagiarize and violate copyrights here....

Old 03-04-2015, 02:20 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
I am working on a 99 Chevy Tahoe. There was a site I found a few months ago that had plenty of great diagrams. I went there the other day and my link would not work. Finally went to the site through the front door and got to the title page, and they had been nailed, the people that owned the diagrams told them some of them were theirs. He took the whole thing down, no more diagrams.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:22 PM
trevisM
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite a few sections of wiring diagrams are included in various threads; web has images of about every thing, use your search engine for "wiring diagrams F150" and narrow it down from there. Fuse panel is just above your left foot. A number of fusible links are in the harness.
If you pose a specific problem, you will get assistance; you want it all for reference, buy a book, most of us have.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:24 PM
Franklin2
If you want the official "good" diagrams, Service Manuals, Owner Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, Service Bulletins - Helm Incorporated is the authorized seller of the factory diagrams. They are the best if they have them in stock.

I have a old Haynes manual that has very good diagrams in it. But you have to get the old book that looks like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231444368329?lpid=82&chn=ps
The newer book is not as good. It looks like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAYNES-REPAIR-OVERHAUL-MANUAL-FORD-PICKUP-BRONCO-80-96-2-4WD/350982107697?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3D974c5b21613d41ebb7e46c182a8331f0%26pid%3D100204%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D20%26sd%3D231444368329

Old 03-04-2015, 02:28 PM
JordanL91
Tuned
Originally Posted by Franklin2
If you want the official "good" diagrams, Service Manuals, Owner Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, Service Bulletins - Helm Incorporated is the authorized seller of the factory diagrams. They are the best if they have them in stock.

I have a old Haynes manual that has very good diagrams in it. But you have to get the old book that looks like this.

Haynes Ford Pickup Bronco 1980 96 2WD 4WD Repair Manual 36058 ZORFD2 1563922134 | eBay

The newer book is not as good. It looks like this.

Haynes Repair Overhaul Manual Ford Pickup Bronco 80 96 2 4WD | eBay

Thanks Dave, I actually have the second one but none of my images look like the blue and orange diagrams I see posted all over the forum. Are those images in the First Haynes manual?

Old 03-04-2015, 02:35 PM
Franklin2
The blue and orange ones with all the detail are the factory EVTM manual. It's a smaller book Ford put out with expanded detail of the diagrams.

The old Haynes book has diagrams that look like these. If you buy just the "wiring diagrams" from Ford, this is what you get.

http://www.fordification.net/tech/im...aster_6of8.jpg

They look just like the above in that old book, but they don't have the plug pinout on the bottom, and they had to split the pages up to fit in the book so that can get a little interesting sometimes. Also, they only included things that were different from year to year, so sometimes you have to look at another year diagram to find what you want. They are not like the real thing, but you can usually get by with them. The true factory diagrams are the best.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:46 PM
JordanL91
Tuned
The blue and orange ones with all the detail are the factory EVTM manual. It's a smaller book Ford put out with expanded detail of the diagrams.

The old Haynes book has diagrams that look like these. If you buy just the "wiring diagrams" from Ford, this is what you get.

http://www.fordification.net/tech/im...aster_6of8.jpg

They look just like the above in that old book, but they don't have the plug pinout on the bottom, and they had to split the pages up to fit in the book so that can get a little interesting sometimes. Also, they only included things that were different from year to year, so sometimes you have to look at another year diagram to find what you want. They are not like the real thing, but you can usually get by with them. The true factory diagrams are the best.

Thanks for the update! EVTM is such an expensive manual!! they want 99.99 on ebay

Old 03-04-2015, 02:51 PM
ctubutis
Keep looking... I expect it to go for ~$30.00

Old 03-12-2015, 09:41 AM
JordanL91
Tuned
Im trying to make heads and tails of this but I cant seem to figure it out, I am installing the MSD Box, Distributor and Coil. The only question I have from this is, Should I keep any stock wires in this mix?

The Issue I have with the diagram below is placement of wires on a new ignition coil, Im starting to see that the truck was a parts truck and a few things are missing from the truck.

Im also about to wire some Ford gauges but would like to use the OEM harness as a good reference but once again its not as easy as originally planned. Its a Fuel level, Oil pressure (like to use original white/red wire), Voltage meter, Speedo, Temperature. Then the issue of the indicator bulbs, no where on the diagram am i seeing the wires for the high beam, oil light, check engine 4X4 etc. Im trying to figure how to keep these and hard wire them into the new gauge set. What puzzles me the most is adding the FAST EFI system has its own sensors for Temperature I don't know if itd be a good idea to piggyback off that signal... What do the experts think?

*Edit
Why is box red in the instrument panel? What is it used for? Whys is the blue box connected to the ignition module? These three boxes are the ones that confuse me the most

Old 03-12-2015, 02:54 PM
Franklin2
Some of those diagrams above(you got them from Autozone correct?) are not very good and full of errors. I use them sometimes, but keep that in mind.

It sounds like you are trying to re-wire most of the truck. And spending tons of money on a aftermarket fuel injection system and a ignition system. I don't think you will ever get it done without buying a real full blown Ford diagram for your truck. The real diagrams will have all the connectors labeled. Besides needing the function diagram you are going to need the harness diagram and it's connectors.

As far as the sensors, do what Ford did; They used two sensors, one for the gauge, and one for the computer/EFI system. Only the newer trucks use one sensor, and they have a communication network to handle that.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:13 AM
JordanL91
Tuned
Some of those diagrams above(you got them from Autozone correct?) are not very good and full of errors. I use them sometimes, but keep that in mind.

It sounds like you are trying to re-wire most of the truck. And spending tons of money on a aftermarket fuel injection system and a ignition system. I don't think you will ever get it done without buying a real full blown Ford diagram for your truck. The real diagrams will have all the connectors labeled. Besides needing the function diagram you are going to need the harness diagram and it's connectors.

As far as the sensors, do what Ford did; They used two sensors, one for the gauge, and one for the computer/EFI system. Only the newer trucks use one sensor, and they have a communication network to handle that.
Hey Franklin, the third and marked up diagram is straight out of the Haynes book, when you say I should buy a full blown diagram, where can I get that? I only have two diagrams that are available in my Haynes
Section 12-23 & 12-24. The posted one is 12-24 and looks to be the one for the cab and the other is for the engine bay.

Thanks for the input I'll have multiple sensors it seems to be the smartest / safest bet

Old 03-13-2015, 08:30 AM
ctubutis
I agree with Dave, the factory wiring diagrams ROCK compared to aftermarket (Haynes, Chilton, etc.)... the amount of detail Ford gives is just spectacular.

Note, you want the Wiring Diagrams manual and not the EVTM or Body/Chassis/Electrical manuals (both of which are also really good but for different purposes than what you're doing).

Search eBay and places that sell used automotive literature (e.g. Faxon).

Here's a place that I've used in the past:

Welcome to Lloyd's Automobile Literature

Old 03-13-2015, 09:02 AM
JordanL91
Tuned
Originally Posted by ctubutis
I agree with Dave, the factory wiring diagrams ROCK compared to aftermarket (Haynes, Chilton, etc.)... the amount of detail Ford gives is just spectacular.

Note, you want the Wiring Diagrams manual and not the EVTM or Body/Chassis/Electrical manuals (both of which are also really good but for different purposes than what you're doing).

Search eBay and places that sell used automotive literature (e.g. Faxon).

Here's a place that I've used in the past:

Welcome to Lloyd's Automobile Literature

Thanks Ctubutis! is this a good contender? 1983 Ford F100 F150 F250 F350 Foldout Wiring Diagram Original

Old 03-13-2015, 09:28 AM
Franklin2
Originally Posted by JordanL91
Hey Franklin, the third and marked up diagram is straight out of the Haynes book,
Yes, that's the crappy newer book, not the older one correct?

Quick Reply: 83 F100 Wiring Diagram Help