6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Re-Register my truck, opinions?

Old 02-26-2015, 05:59 PM
sandyc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re-Register my truck, opinions?

Have a situation and want to know if this is possible to do. My 2011 is rated at 11,500 GVW. Is it possible to re-register to lower the GVW to 10,000. Possibly take out a spring leaf or whatever needs to be done.

My problem is concerning the Texas drivers license requirement. The weight, GVW of truck and 5th wheel RV exceeds 26,000 and requires a class A license vrs a regular license. The RV GVW cannot be lowered, so the truck is my focus.

I've been asked, just take the test and get the CDL license, which involves many other issues. I'd rather just deal with this working with the truck IF that is possible. Thanks

Old 02-26-2015, 06:03 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sandyc
Have a situation and want to know if this is possible to do. My 2011 is rated at 11,500 GVW. Is it possible to re-register to lower the GVW to 10,000. Possibly take out a spring leaf or whatever needs to be done.

My problem is concerning the Texas drivers license requirement. The weight, GVW of truck and 5th wheel RV exceeds 26,000 and requires a class A license vrs a regular license. The RV GVW cannot be lowered, so the truck is my focus.

I've been asked, just take the test and get the CDL license, which involves many other issues. I'd rather just deal with this working with the truck IF that is possible. Thanks
they can lower the GVWR for the truck..

Old 02-26-2015, 06:13 PM
Specularius
Senior User
Having no idea of Texas rules, is there an exemption for RV's? Is there a different Non-Comercial class A license?

Old 02-26-2015, 06:16 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Specularius
Having no idea of Texas rules, is there an exemption for RV's? Is there a different Non-Comercial class A license?
yes, there is a non-commercial class A, in Texas and many other states.

>26,000 combined weight rating while towing trailer >10,000 lbs gvwr.

I need to do that too.. 13,000 truck + 15,600 trailer.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:17 PM
Leonandlisa
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a question, is the issue what the "rating" of the truck and trailer is or what they both actually weigh?

I know we order our large stake bed trucks with a 25,999 rating so we don't have to get CDL's, so it is possible to get. But if your truck and trailer way over that amount I think you will still have trouble, but I could be wrong.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:25 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Leonandlisa
Just a question, is the issue what the "rating" of the truck and trailer is or what they both actually weigh?

I know we order our large stake bed trucks with a 25,999 rating so we don't have to get CDL's, so it is possible to get. But if your truck and trailer way over that amount I think you will still have trouble, but I could be wrong.
its the ratings, not actuals.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:32 PM
Javi1
Senior User
The written test and driving test is really a non-issue if you can actually drive the truck and trailer... It would be a bit silly to de-rate the truck to avoid the $10 fee and what amounts to an afternoon of your time.

This isn't the CDL test and there is no physical... lot of misinformation flying around about the Class A non-commercial license in Texas..

Old 02-26-2015, 06:37 PM
Specularius
Senior User
In Louisiana, RV's are exempt and only require a class E license regardless of weight.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:38 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The only thing I would watch is if by getting the class A license does that make your insurance go up drastically?

You can register your truck with the state dmv for whatever weight you want, so that's easy and I suppose is a work around to avoid doing what you're supposed to do.

But

Let's say you do what you're supposed to do and get the non commercial class A. It should be easy and I would confirm with your insurance company what is going to happen to your policy. Otherwise, what's the down side?

Old 02-26-2015, 06:44 PM
Javi1
Senior User
Originally Posted by ruschejj
The only thing I would watch is if by getting the class A license does that make your insurance go up drastically?

You can register your truck with the state dmv for whatever weight you want, so that's easy and I suppose is a work around to avoid doing what you're supposed to do.

But

Let's say you do what you're supposed to do and get the non commercial class A. It should be easy and I would confirm with your insurance company what is going to happen to your policy. Otherwise, what's the down side?

Insurance in Texas is based on the truck and the rate for a 14K '15 Dually is $30 less than for a '12 F250... I just checked with my agent today, 'cause I'm going back to a dually..

Old 02-26-2015, 08:15 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Only downside I have found with a Class A license is that you can not renew your license by mail or the internet. You are required to take the eye vision test each renewal. The parallel parking on the drivers test was interesting, but I did pass.

I took my test pulling a 40' triple axle Travel Supreme 5th wheel with a Kenworth T300 Toterhome.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:08 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Texas IS different --- and it's the rating on the placard NOT on the paperwork (although I think you can INCREASE it but not lower it....???)

I will venture to say you will NEVER get stopped and checked (I haven't in 20 years in Texas!)

Old 02-27-2015, 12:28 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Texas IS different --- and it's the rating on the placard NOT on the paperwork (although I think you can INCREASE it but not lower it....???)

I will venture to say you will NEVER get stopped and checked (I haven't in 20 years in Texas!)
my dually was registered for 9,000lbs initially.. didn't notice that, had to go pay more taxes.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:47 PM
dmags
Senior User
weights

You all are lucky Here in CT it is based on the door jamb /certificate of origin
I tried that with past and present trucks to avoid having to put commercial plates on my truck
But actual commercial vehicle under weight don't need them
The great state I live in say ut ut uhh
yuck fou PAY ME !!

Old 02-27-2015, 01:02 PM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Federally speaking, a commercial drivers license is not necessary if the TOW VEHICLE is has a GVWR under 26,000 (unless I read it wrong and my DMV doesn't know what they are talking about). There are some trailer requirements also. If you are active military or a veteran you can have the skills test waived if you meet all the requirements. Keep in mind that commercial, combo or weighted plates have no baring on the type of license required, and the requirement for these types of plates are governed by your state. In NC, if you are over a certain GVWR you are required to have weighted plates. Also keep in mind that if you are towing campers to Florida for people as a business then yes combined weight and DOT numbers are a factor. Towing your boat to the public ramp to put in is recreation and in most states is exempt.

Linky Linky...
Drivers | Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Re-Register my truck, opinions?