ABS pulsing under 15mph with a pull to right - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

ABS pulsing under 15mph with a pull to right

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Old 02-25-2015, 07:48 PM
ATV PRO #11
Posting Guru
ATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to behold

Hey guys/gals
Had an issue pop up today while driving.
Heard a bit of a wierd soft grind sound under dash while letting off the brake at a light to go.
Upon applying brake again it was ok (slowing early to a red)
Then lifted foot off and applied again. It was then the pedal was hard (ish) to push but was still safely slowing the eX.
Then as I slowedmore, the pedal went a bit further down and I felt the ABS pulse through the pedal. Very light braking by this point. There was also a little bit of a pull to the right.
Pulled over. No leaks, visual inspection done.
Held my foot firmly on brake. It didn't move to floor, so I know there wasn't a leak in hose or anything dangerous.

Drove cautiosly to my destination, repeating same senario until I came to the side streets. Having lots of snow here I was able to push pretty hard and have the pedel become hard to push, while still locking the brakes up into a skid. I did, however, notice the rears would lock, NO ABS feedback.

No ABS warning light on dash.

I could drive pretty quick, hit the brakes hard and all was well until 15mph or so, then the pulsing would start. Pedal got hard (er) to push. Quick stops and really slow slow down stops. All with a little pull still to the right. Pedal was always harder to push back down the second brake application (one after the other, not the next stop light)

ANyone experience this before? Possible ABS Sensor issue?
Any Help would be appreciated

Old 02-25-2015, 08:03 PM
dkf
Post Fiend
dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Most likely a damaged ABS sensor in the right front. I damaged the drivers side front ABS sensor on my truck when removing it for the first time to grease the unit bearings. Truck pulsed the ABS and pulled to the left when braking at lower speeds. A new ABS fixed it.

Be aware a failed wheel bearing can cause an ABS sensor failure. I had the cage come apart on the unit bearing of an Explorer and it trashed the ABS sensor. So make sure the unit bearing is smooth with no slop before going out and buying an ABS sensor, as a new unit bearing for ABS comes with a new ABS sensor. The rear axle has a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) mounted on the pumpkin instead of ABS sensors on the rear.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:30 PM
ATV PRO #11
Posting Guru
ATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to behold
I just went out and took a better look with the flashlight. Was dark by the time I got home.
There's a brake hose, another vacuum hose then the thin wire.
Upon looking closer, I found, the thin wire worn through from rubbing on the 42's on the drivers side. Nothing on pass side. It's a def pull to the right.
I will jack her up in the morning and do a more thorough check. I did the wheel bearings about 10K ago, obviously I should have been more carefull on the lines rubbing the tire.
Thanks for the input @dkf
Looking for input before digging into so I thought i'd post as 99% of the reading I do on here solves so many issues and saves ALOT of troubleshooting or costly trail and error!!

Old 02-25-2015, 08:34 PM
ATV PRO #11
Posting Guru
Another thought, the hard pedal feel was sort of like it was when you stall an engine and brake. Loosing the vacuum in the booster feel. I will have to check for leaks as well.

Resent mods were installing Warn Supreme manual locking hubs. I did not block the lines as reading on here indicated the vacuum pulse to "Lock" or "Unlock" was only 5-15 seconds. Possible im incorrect???

Old 02-25-2015, 10:28 PM
dkf
Post Fiend
dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
You have the 6.0l right? If so you don't have a vacuum operated brake booster like on the gas trucks. You do want to plug the vacuum lines though to keep crud out in the very least. The ESOF system uses vacuum to shift the hubs and an electric motor to shift the t-case.

It has been a while, maybe I misremembering which ABS sensor was bad on mine. When the ABS engaged you could feel it in the pedal like it was intermittently going dead and the steering pulled pretty hard. I have 33" tires so I would say you are not going to get near as much steering pull due to size of your 42" tires and how hard they are to turn.

It sounds like you may have a damaged ABS cable from the tire rub so I would replaced that one and see if it fixes your issue. If there is no change with the new sensor you could swap the ABS sensors between the front two unit bearings to see if there are any changes.(see if the truck pulls the same or different direction) The ABS sensors are the same in both front unit bearings.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:02 AM
ATV PRO #11
Posting Guru
Hey Thanks DKF!!! Havent jumped into yet. Minus 30's here last couple days. Cold enought to sled, not turn wrenches on the suffle buggy :P

Old 02-28-2015, 09:31 AM
dkf
Post Fiend
I would not be wrenching on vehicles in -30 either, +20 is miserable enough to be under a vehicle. You need to build a heated garage my friend.