Sponsored by:

Installed my bypass oil filter today

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 06:22 PM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Installed my bypass oil filter today

Want to ask those who have a bypass system... how long an interval for oil changes? I installed the NUC motorsport kit with the Amsoil bypass filter. Their recommendations for dino oil is 15k and send in an oil sample to Blackstone.
I use Rotella T5 synthetic 15W-40 (Florida-Tennessee and towing) with Archoil 9100.

Oil filter at manufacturers recommended schedule and the bypass @ second oil change interval. I'm assuming AMSOIL EABP100 is as good as any bypass filter out there since I can't actually test it myself. Any others that you'd recommend?
In addition some comments I read was to replace the bypass filter the first time as soon as the oil starts to get dark again (6K) is what was posted. Apparently the logic is existing soot inside the engine comes loose thereby saturating the bypass filter quicker the first go round.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics of the install?

Old 02-23-2015, 08:33 PM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesser02EX
Pics of the install?
looks just like the install pictures on NUC motor sports. I got the "delux" set up... has a longer hose that attaches to a machined aluminum oil fill tube cap. This is the return side of the unit. Easy to check the oil color being filtered by the bypass filter. I can get a picture of that... tomorrow.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:53 AM
Patriotic Rottweiler
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I also have the NUC Motorsports AMSOil bypass installed on my Ex. I only drive about 5000 miles a year and I change the factory oil filter and AMSOil filter every year. I change the oil every two years. I'm sure this is probably over kill but I want this truck to last forever.

I bought the longest SS hoses they had and mounted the filter along the passenger side frame rail. This location makes changing the filter a lot easier plus there isn't any room the the engine compartment.

Not sure why pic posted upside down. It's correct on my iPad....

Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2015, 04:58 AM
Patriotic Rottweiler
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is the top of the engine. Work still in progress.

Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2015, 08:17 AM
alex--taylor
Senior User
Originally Posted by Patriotic Rottweiler
Here is the top of the engine. Work still in progress.
I like the blue piping and other Sinister Diesel parts. I'm sort of going that direction myself. I have the coolant and oil bypass. My only issue so far is that the coolant filter is TIGHT and I basically have to remove my passenger side battery to swap it out. The Amsoil filter is also tight, but not as tight as the coolant filter.

AT

Old 02-24-2015, 10:21 AM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What does the bypass do? I don't have this mod but plan on holding on to my 6.0 Ex forever and want it to last.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:10 AM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Magnus E
What does the bypass do? I don't have this mod but plan on holding on to my 6.0 Ex forever and want it to last.
The OIL bypass filter passes the used oil through a secondary filter that helps to remove additional soot. Soot can, over time, add wear to a motor. Diesels like Clean Fuel, Clean Oil and Clean air.

Adding additional filters can be beneficial to the operation of a good working motor.

The coolant bypass filter is there to help filter the coolant when particulate might be present. In a 6.0 it can be very helpful as the OIL to Water cooler is known to clog.

7.3 boys have a better Oil to Water cooler, but we still add Coolant by pass filters to help gather any junk that my come loose in our 14 year old motors.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:42 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
The OIL bypass filter passes the used oil through a secondary filter that helps to remove additional soot. Soot can, over time, add wear to a motor. Diesels like Clean Fuel, Clean Oil and Clean air.

Adding additional filters can be beneficial to the operation of a good working motor.

The coolant bypass filter is there to help filter the coolant when particulate might be present. In a 6.0 it can be very helpful as the OIL to Water cooler is known to clog.

7.3 boys have a better Oil to Water cooler, but we still add Coolant by pass filters to help gather any junk that my come loose in our 14 year old motors.
It also saves the water pump on the 7.3s too...

The same junk that floats through the cooling system eats the water pump over time, especially if you're still running the green stuff.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:23 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
It also saves the water pump on the 7.3s too... The same junk that floats through the cooling system eats the water pump over time, especially if you're still running the green stuff.
Ain't that the truth. Stupid green coolant.

That was a very long night.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:37 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the education Jesser! Reps sent.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:47 PM
JuanHuevos
I'm still around...mostly
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
It also saves the water pump on the 7.3s too... The same junk that floats through the cooling system eats the water pump over time, especially if you're still running the green stuff.
Ugh, I have the green stuff...

Old 02-24-2015, 05:51 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by JuanHuevos
Ugh, I have the green stuff...
Just last summer I overheated my 7.3 in Houston traffic. Well, came damn close - a random gauge sweep is when I caught the temp gauge damn near in the red. One miserable drive later with the heater blasting for the next 12 miles of summer rush hour, and I got it home. Razzi came over that night and we ripped the cooling system apart. Full of green coolant, tons of silicate drop out, and an obliterated water pump impeller. One new water pump later, a full clean and flush of the cooling system, and it was good to go. Well, almost.... The trans cooler line fitting sheared off the radiator, so now I'm running a hodgepodge setup using a Hayden 40,000lb GVWR trans cooler and the stock 7.3 cooler. Gotta get out to Buda to snag another radiator, line, and then buy Razzi's spare 6.0 cooler.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:11 PM
JuanHuevos
I'm still around...mostly
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
Just last summer I overheated my 7.3 in Houston traffic. Well, came damn close - a random gauge sweep is when I caught the temp gauge damn near in the red. One miserable drive later with the heater blasting for the next 12 miles of summer rush hour, and I got it home. Razzi came over that night and we ripped the cooling system apart. Full of green coolant, tons of silicate drop out, and an obliterated water pump impeller. One new water pump later, a full clean and flush of the cooling system, and it was good to go. Well, almost.... The trans cooler line fitting sheared off the radiator, so now I'm running a hodgepodge setup using a Hayden 40,000lb GVWR trans cooler and the stock 7.3 cooler. Gotta get out to Buda to snag another radiator, line, and then buy Razzi's spare 6.0 cooler.
Ok well that's enough motivation for me! My oil cooler is leaking a bit so I was thinking of fixing that soon which of course I'd draining the coolant for. So I'll just flush and fill with _____ (please fill in the blank lol)
I'm down for a Buda trip. I wanna score some V's and B's and maybe some 05 front end parts.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:29 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by JuanHuevos
Ok well that's enough motivation for me! My oil cooler is leaking a bit so I was thinking of fixing that soon which of course I'd draining the coolant for. So I'll just flush and fill with _____ (please fill in the blank lol)
I'm down for a Buda trip. I wanna score some V's and B's and maybe some 05 front end parts.
All I remember is it starts with a Z, has numbers with it, and it's a goldish bronze jug. Got it at O'Reilly's.

Hold off on those V and B springs. I'm going to X and C this summer and will be taking mine off sell. If Apoc doesn't them, you've got next pick.

Quick Reply: Installed my bypass oil filter today