Yes, it's a 7.3L SuperDuty (1973 F100 project) - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes, it's a 7.3L SuperDuty (1973 F100 project)

Old 04-17-2015, 12:01 PM
Elder User

Jeff Watts is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
it just me, or are all the pictures gone?
Old 04-17-2015, 12:33 PM
Post Fiend

white Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Watts View Post
it just me, or are all the pictures gone?
I can't see them anymore either.......even the nice ones of the landscape!
Old 04-17-2015, 12:52 PM
Postmaster

cleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baatzy View Post
Oh, ok, makes sense on those, I take it the same with the fuel gauge then?

How did you make the speedometer work? A group here at school built a working speedometer with a speed sensor, an arduino, and a stepper motor hooked to the needle on the gauge. Is it a similar setup to this?

I enjoy these older trucks and these DIY electronics projects, so I am curious. Hope I'm not bothering you with all these little questions.

Baatzy
The fuel gauge was a little more involved. The stock tank on the '73 was a flat, wide, shallow tank whereas the 02 tank is long, tall, and narrow. In addition, the actual operation of the gauge/resistor relationship (as well as the resistances from empty to full) is completely different. I removed the sending unit from the 2002 tank unit and removed the sender from the 1973 unit. From there, I grafted the 2002 float arm to the 1973 sender and welded the 1973 sender to the 2002 tank unit.

For the speedometer, I purchased an ECD-100 from Dakota Digital. It works perfectly save for the slight sensitivity to voltage fluctuations from a hypo-sensitive voltage regulator on my alternator with the heater and lights on. I get a very slight needle sway as the voltage goes up and down. A better alternator would fix it.

Don't worry about the questions. If I hated questions I wouldn't have started this thread.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:56 PM
Elder User

Here's a question: will you repost the pics, or post a link to your photobucket so we can see them?
Old 04-17-2015, 01:04 PM
Postmaster

cleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputation
Nothing new to post..... I've been busy just driving it!
Old 04-17-2015, 01:06 PM
Elder User

All of the previous pics from this thread are gone.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:20 PM
Postmaster

Eye candy....

I painted it last Thursday (the paint's a week old) and washed it today since it's been raining constantly for the past week and it was covered in pollen and dust spots.

Consider this one done. On to the next project (but I'll have to post this one in the 1995-1997 Powerstroke forum).

Old 05-29-2015, 09:47 PM
Postmaster

UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.
Freakin sweet man. Awesome job.
I want to find a 4door 74-79 to put on my 00 4door psd chassis. The 00 cab is in decent shape, but body and fenders are toast. Runs great. I don't want to retire it.

Glad you got it done. What's the next project?
Old 05-30-2015, 12:47 AM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Cody,

Is that a little "Powerstroke" badge on the door?

The end product looks fabulous!

Covet, covet, covet......

Pop
Old 05-30-2015, 12:54 AM
The Nekkid Super Mod

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Eye candy....
Oh my...take my money...and make me two! One for me and my son!!

Stewart
Old 05-30-2015, 07:56 AM
Post Fiend

Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
I got your emails showing the close-ups of the paint color, but this is the first time I've seen his whole profile in his new duds.

I'm seeing the chrome trim put back on, and it really augments the paint. The truck just looks bad-***. The truck almost puts the badge to shame.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:40 AM
Postmaster

clem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to beholdclem1226 is a splendid one to behold
WOW!

That truck is beautiful, and the beauty is not just skin deep.

Care to share any underhood pics? I bet it looks factoryish.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:46 AM
Postmaster

Thanks for the compliments! But I did this out of boredom initially and it ended up taking eight months of here-and-there labor. I can't get any direct sunlight pictures due to the clouds. The color isn't as dark when viewed in the light. I know what people in Seattle have to look forward to every day: clouds and rain. It's been this way for three weeks. How depressing.

I have a disease. Having over two hundred pictures of this project, I didn't really pay too much attention to what I had done until I was showing a guy at work the entire album a couple weeks ago. The pictures in the midway time frame of the project made me sit back and think, "If I'd have known how much work I still had ahead of me at this point, I would have never started this whole thing." But it also made me see what I ended up with after sticking to it...... I want to feel that way again. Addiction is a beeeotch!

Since I hate the 1992-1997 body style and the 1995 I have (bought out of necessity) doesn't really "do anything" for me it's going to lose its Powerstroke drivetrain and become a 1958 F100. I wanted to do a 1961-1966, but those are pretty difficult to find around here (since people who have them still drive them) and I have a 1958 sitting in the driveway that my dad bought in 2007 for $100. I can't stand to see it sitting there rotting away. It'll be a different build than this one though. Instead of putting the older body on the new frame (major pain in the *** as I've found and especially more so because instead of chopping 3" out of the frame like the current truck, I'll have to do a bit more than 18" because the 1995 is a Supercab), I'll be putting the engine, transmission, transfer case, and rear axle from the 1995 into the 1958 frame. I have a late-70's D44HD solid axle to stuff under the front so I don't have to deal with that fecal abortion known as Twin Traction Beam.

The first "next project" though is fabricating mounts, piping, etc. to put an HX-50 on the 2000 2wd. The stock turbo sucks with 250/200% injectors, but who didn't know that already?

Pictures of the two candidates for the transplant? Right here!

Old 05-30-2015, 12:34 PM
Elder User

I vote for the '59.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:43 PM
Senior User

montanasteve has a good reputation on FTE.montanasteve has a good reputation on FTE.
Nice work Cody! I remember seeing the '73 pre-motor in your shop, and thinking how much work you had ahead. Way to wrap that one up!