Sponsored by: Moser

5.0 Coyote Tapping/ Ticking/ Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 11:40 AM
Adrian Cavlan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robbgt
Knock on wood, my remain block has not had the issue return.

Glad you were able to catch while still in warranty. Will be interested to see what they do for 3k worth of work. The only way to fix Is replacement short block at a minimum. Many are getting complete remain units and the repair bill is around 9k.

​​​​ Just spoke to the dealership shop where I have the truck. They are looking at the 4 timing chains & tensioners that feed the camshaft phasers as being the possible issue, though they won't know until they dig in.

The service guy did mention long block replacement, but said usually that's on engines that are at around 90k mi and haven't been properly maintained. He said he hasn't seen a short block replacement come through his shop for this yet.

All repairs are being run up the flag pole to Ford and then he follows their directives. Luckily, this is all covered under my 5yr/60k power train warranty, so at least I'll have the chance to see if any repair they make truly sticks.

But meanwhile I'll be sitting without my truck for at least 2 weeks. Good thing I have my '95 Club Wagon to drive around!

Old 11-06-2017, 02:18 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Adrian Cavlan
​​​​ Just spoke to the dealership shop where I have the truck. They are looking at the 4 timing chains & tensioners that feed the camshaft phasers as being the possible issue, though they won't know until they dig in.

The service guy did mention long block replacement, but said usually that's on engines that are at around 90k mi and haven't been properly maintained. He said he hasn't seen a short block replacement come through his shop for this yet.

All repairs are being run up the flag pole to Ford and then he follows their directives. Luckily, this is all covered under my 5yr/60k power train warranty, so at least I'll have the chance to see if any repair they make truly sticks.

But meanwhile I'll be sitting without my truck for at least 2 weeks. Good thing I have my '95 Club Wagon to drive around!
Interesting - well best of luck! It took some pressure on my dealer and many calls to the tech hotline for them to perform a cylinders cancel test until they were able to identify the issue.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:11 AM
dh_meyer
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been watching this post for a long time ......... probably since right after buying my 2012 5.0 Lariat back in April 2015 (with 43 K miles).

I'm now at 70K miles and would say that my truck runs/sounds the same now as it did when I bought it in 2015. While changing my oil yesterday, I took a video - would like to hear what people think - does my engine sound 'normal' ? Sound like I have a problem ?

Thanks.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:04 PM
Adrian Cavlan
New User
Knock on wood, my remain block has not had the issue return.

Glad you were able to catch while still in warranty. Will be interested to see what they do for 3k worth of work. The only way to fix Is replacement short block at a minimum. Many are getting complete reman units and the repair bill is around 9k.
OK - update from dealership after opening it up:

Found visible scoring on camshaft and main journals
Timing chains have lost their prime
There is a lubrication problem.
Very uncommon for an engine with this low mileage.
Dealership is recommending and asking for a remanufactured engine from Ford and hoping they will authorize.

No matter how this slices, I'll be without the truck for an aggregate of probably a month once all said and done.

Really hoping for the reman. Seems like the only solution that will give me a shot at not having problems crop up later.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:31 PM
Ty Ruddell
New User
Knocking will lead to this...

RIP
2012 5.0 F150 with 94,000 miles. Engine failure. Needs new long block. Bill $10,000.00

Old 12-06-2017, 09:03 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by dh_meyer
I've been watching this post for a long time ......... probably since right after buying my 2012 5.0 Lariat back in April 2015 (with 43 K miles).

I'm now at 70K miles and would say that my truck runs/sounds the same now as it did when I bought it in 2015. While changing my oil yesterday, I took a video - would like to hear what people think - does my engine sound 'normal' ? Sound like I have a problem ?

Thanks.
Though I can't say for sure, it doesn't sound like that "tapping" sound I was getting. Take a listen: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17107595

Originally Posted by Adrian Cavlan
OK - update from dealership after opening it up:

Found visible scoring on camshaft and main journals
Timing chains have lost their prime
There is a lubrication problem.
Very uncommon for an engine with this low mileage.
Dealership is recommending and asking for a remanufactured engine from Ford and hoping they will authorize.

No matter how this slices, I'll be without the truck for an aggregate of probably a month once all said and done.

Really hoping for the reman. Seems like the only solution that will give me a shot at not having problems crop up later.
Shoot, sorry to hear. I would keep pushing for the reman long block if you can. Keep us posted.

Originally Posted by Ty Ruddell
RIP
2012 5.0 F150 with 94,000 miles. Engine failure. Needs new long block. Bill $10,000.00
What happened when your engine failed? Did it leave you stranded and failed to start? Just interested in hearing what the failure mode is like for this issue.

Thanks

Old 12-06-2017, 09:50 AM
Ty Ruddell
New User
Though I can't say for sure, it doesn't sound like that "tapping" sound I was getting. Take a listen: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17107595

Shoot, sorry to hear. I would keep pushing for the reman long block if you can. Keep us posted.

What happened when your engine failed? Did it leave you stranded and failed to start? Just interested in hearing what the failure mode is like for this issue.

Thanks
I picked up the knock sound about 10,000 miles ago, about 80,000. I asked the dealership and they said my engine would fail eventually to a bad block. The knock would come and go. It ran great all the time. Some days had no knocking sound. After sitting for 5 days over Thanksgiving I went to start it and it had clearly let go. The one cylinder started a hammering sound. Guys on here joke about it sounding like a PowerStroke. Its a lot worse than that. It sounds like one of your pistons is trying to escape the block. I bought this truck new. Its been great. I am really disappointed it FAILED. I have never had a vehicle have a catastrophic failure. It actually started and ran. But sounded really bad. I probably could have driven it to the dealer (5 miles) but was worried about doing more damage. Funny, because I will be buying an entire new engine.....
This engine was babied by me. Never towed. Never abused. Always maintained. Not modified. Most maintenance was done at Ford Dealership. A flaw in the block meant it would die prematurely. I wish it would have happened under warranty.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:37 PM
maytag906
Posting Guru
I'm thinking a good used engine could be found, and installed, for less than 10 grand. I would have to keep the truck pretty much forever, for me to justify a NEW engine, but that's me.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:21 AM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Just bought my 2014 5.0 now you have worried. 38,000 miles on it. Have heard they have corrected the problem in 14 so should I be worried I still have time to get rid of it and not lose any money . Opinions

Old 12-07-2017, 09:52 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by artscott61
Just bought my 2014 5.0 now you have worried. 38,000 miles on it. Have heard they have corrected the problem in 14 so should I be worried I still have time to get rid of it and not lose any money . Opinions
I suppose it's hard to say. I thought my '13 was in the clear but it was not. I can tell you that based on the part number of the reman unit they installed it is a '14 block. So far, things have been good with the new motor.

I have yet to see anyone with a '14 post up that they had this issue and needed a new motor, though there are far more trucks out there than forum users.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:58 AM
eriebasin
Senior User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I suppose it's hard to say. I thought my '13 was in the clear but it was not. I can tell you that based on the part number of the reman unit they installed it is a '14 block. So far, things have been good with the new motor.

I have yet to see anyone with a '14 post up that they had this issue and needed a new motor, though there are far more trucks out there than forum users.
What month was your truck built? Mine was built in April of 2013 and I purchased it in May with 6 miles on it. So far, I have 49,950 miles; my engine sounds and runs perfectly. I'm wondering when in 2013 the design changed. I think I read in another thread on this forum where some parts for the 5.0 are separated into pre and post, an early 2013 (maybe Feb?) manufacture date. Maybe that's when the design changed. At any rate I'm hoping, of course, my truck does not get this issue too. Robbgt, I've been following your saga as I've been a forum member for a bit now.

I wish all happy, trouble free motoring and a safe Holiday Season.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:05 PM
Adrian Cavlan
New User
Truck is back w/ new engine...

and a new starter motor because that failed while in their hands at the dealership.

It's been gone since 11/3... so dang near 6 weeks.

Sounds very smooth and quiet so far.

Hope this is the last of this saga and I can just enjoy it now.

Thanks a ton to this thread for educating me and giving me some hope of it being fixed.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:19 PM
Haulinbass02
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought my 2013 with 93k on the clock right before Christmas. I never heard anything until a week later after warming it up when the weather turned cold here. Walked up to it and heard the tapping. It is pretty constant once the truck is warm now. My ONLY concern is if it is BAD enough for the dealer to do anything about it. I have an extended warranty that my CU sells and is one of the better ones out there according to their BBB rating. Here is the video I took just a while ago. I plan on taking it in on MLK day since I have that day off. I just want the dealer to hear it and determine if they are going to do something or not before I give them the deductible and leave it with them. It will be Southwest Ford in a Weatherford, TX. Hopefully they will be good to me, it’s a BIG dealer here.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:27 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Haulinbass02
I bought my 2013 with 93k on the clock right before Christmas. I never heard anything until a week later after warming it up when the weather turned cold here. Walked up to it and heard the tapping. It is pretty constant once the truck is warm now. My ONLY concern is if it is BAD enough for the dealer to do anything about it. I have an extended warranty that my CU sells and is one of the better ones out there according to their BBB rating. Here is the video I took just a while ago. I plan on taking it in on MLK day since I have that day off. I just want the dealer to hear it and determine if they are going to do something or not before I give them the deductible and leave it with them. It will be Southwest Ford in a Weatherford, TX. Hopefully they will be good to me, it’s a BIG dealer here.
https://youtu.be/ZLDyJQmUBPA
Let us know how it turns out. Most of the video is hard to hear, but you can hear it pretty clearly at the end.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:30 PM
Haulinbass02
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Let us know how it turns out. Most of the video is hard to hear, but you can hear it pretty clearly at the end.
That’s what I was hoping, that I wasn’t the only one hearing it. I’ll keep you all updated, I have a feeling that since I’m not dealing Ford on the warranty then it might go a little easier. Service should be able to sell the warranty company on it easier than the manufacturer......I just want to get this resolved before I do anything to the truck. I’m wanting to do a full exhaust and stuff but don’t want to do any of that with a major engine issue and give ANYONE reason to deny a warranty claim...

Quick Reply: 5.0 Coyote Tapping/ Ticking/ Knocking