Sponsored by: Moser

5.0 Coyote Tapping/ Ticking/ Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 10:39 AM
OTL_himself
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robbgt
Update 7: Called dealer yesterday and they confirmed that 2 of the cylinders were "oblong". They would prefer to do a long block (as would I). Less room for error, quicker turn around time. They are back and forth with Ford on short/long block and are trying to push the repair total / hours on the short block high enough to warrant the long block. I appreciate them pushing for the long block. I did request swapping the Taurus for a pickup as I do need to get some stuff done and prefer not bugging my buddies with trucks unless I have to. Stay tuned for more on the saga.

Sounds like you are working with an outstanding dealership, and they have it moving in the right direction for you. Hope they can put you in a good loaner truck in the meantime.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:46 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by OTL_himself
Sounds like you are working with an outstanding dealership, and they have it moving in the right direction for you. Hope they can put you in a good loaner truck in the meantime.
There was some initial resistance at first, but once I was able to replicate the problem for the tech they have been great. I do call just about every other day for an update so I'm not exactly the easiest customer to deal with.

As far as the loaner truck, I'd be fine with a base XL work truck with a million miles and a milk crate for a seat. Just need something with a bed!! The spring to-do list is piling up.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:54 AM
OTL_himself
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To be fair, I can understand some initial resistance from any dealership, for a couple of reasons. First, I imagine each dealership has their share of customers who expect an over-the-top repair just because "it's under warranty," so that's probably led to some resistance. I work in insurance and we deal with at least some of that type of thing each and every day. Second, I ask myself what I'd do if the shoe was on the other foot. If I needed to make things right with somebody, I'd want to explore every possible option to keep it as cost-effective as possible. That's just the responsible thing to do from a business standpoint.

If it were me, I wouldn't hold it against 'em. And it sounds like you're doing the right think keeping in touch with them. They say the squeaky wheel gets the grease

Old 04-28-2017, 07:24 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Update 8: Well, those guys at Ford of Branford were able to get me a loaner truck, and this is no base model XL work truck... 2017 Lariat 5.0. Had 50 miles on the clock. Man is it nice. The service writer said they are going to keep pushing for the long block on my truck. In the meantime:

Name:  IMAG3817_zpsqfjmbsvi.jpg
Views: 1545
Size:  222.8 KB

Old 05-01-2017, 12:56 PM
mechanic58
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My '11 FX4 has been making the same noise since it was new, although I wouldn't describe it as lifter noise. It's more of hollow knocking sound. I have read many posts in various places that proclaim it originates from the accessory drive and is amplified by the front cover of the engine. Having a lot of experience building engines and diagnosing odd sounds myself I tend to lean towards this explanation as well. I bought my truck new and it has 61k on it now. It's had regular oil changes at less than 5,000 mile intervals and it has never consumed any measurable amount of oil. Probably 50k of the 61k on it has been logged with a trailer behind it. The noise has never worsened and is most notable when you pull up to a stop and put it in park. As soon as the engine unloads you can hear it very plainly, but after the idle speed settles out in a few seconds it diminishes.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:10 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by mechanic58
My '11 FX4 has been making the same noise since it was new, although I wouldn't describe it as lifter noise. It's more of hollow knocking sound. I have read many posts in various places that proclaim it originates from the accessory drive and is amplified by the front cover of the engine. Having a lot of experience building engines and diagnosing odd sounds myself I tend to lean towards this explanation as well. I bought my truck new and it has 61k on it now. It's had regular oil changes at less than 5,000 mile intervals and it has never consumed any measurable amount of oil. Probably 50k of the 61k on it has been logged with a trailer behind it. The noise has never worsened and is most notable when you pull up to a stop and put it in park. As soon as the engine unloads you can hear it very plainly, but after the idle speed settles out in a few seconds it diminishes.
Interesting. I have heard that some of the 5.0 mustangs have the AC tensioner replaced and this fixes a similar sounding "tapping". In my case, it was caused by cylinder distortion due to a manufacturing defect in the block. This was confirmed by the servicing dealer. With general forum perusing - I've only seen maybe one case where the noise leads to complete engine failure, though I am not going to take that risk and am getting the block replaced while under powertrain warranty. Will be interesting to see if the longevity of the motor is affected overall by the tick.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:32 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Update 9: Complete remanufactured engine confirmed. The only thing that will carry over is the intake manifold. Sounds like another week or 2 out for getting it back.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:57 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
That's great, Robb! Glad to hear they're taking care of you.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:33 AM
GregPds
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford replaced my 5.0L engine (long block) 2013 F150

Originally Posted by mechanic58
Ford replaced my 2013 5.0L engine under power train warranty in April 2017. I had 58500 miles and did all scheduled maintenance. I had the tapping/knocking sound on passenger side engine bank. They replaced the long block. I did not have to haggle or make multiple visits to convince them.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:48 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by GregPds
Ford replaced my 2013 5.0L engine under power train warranty in April 2017. I had 58500 miles and did all scheduled maintenance. I had the tapping/knocking sound on passenger side engine bank. They replaced the long block. I did not have to haggle or make multiple visits to convince them.
Still waiting to get mine back. How has the new engine been so far? No return of the noise?

Old 05-10-2017, 05:26 PM
GregPds
New User
Originally Posted by Robbgt
Still waiting to get mine back. How has the new engine been so far? No return of the noise?
All good so far. No return of noise.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:41 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by GregPds
All good so far. No return of noise.
Glad to hear and thanks for the update

Old 05-14-2017, 07:04 AM
bstuder1993
New User
needing help from my dealer

Originally Posted by FordService
Come back and tell us how things go at your dealerships, folks. If you need any assistance from my neck of the woods, I'll be here.

Crystal
Crystal I have a 2014 f150 5.0 having some noises just like this took it to 2 dealerships and they say it's normal and not at all! Just bought it here a couple months ago has almost 50k on it just wish truck would sound normal!!

Old 05-14-2017, 07:43 PM
maytag906
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bstuder1993
Crystal I have a 2014 f150 5.0 having some noises just like this took it to 2 dealerships and they say it's normal and not at all! Just bought it here a couple months ago has almost 50k on it just wish truck would sound normal!!
I don't think Crystal is around any more.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:12 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Update 10: Called dealer, remain unit arrived. They are trying to clear a bay and get started.

Originally Posted by maytag906
I don't think Crystal is around any more.
Unfortunately, this is true. That particular Ford Service account has not been active since Feb 2 of this year.

Quick Reply: 5.0 Coyote Tapping/ Ticking/ Knocking