Adventures in Retirement - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Adventures in Retirement

Old 04-24-2015, 02:58 PM
privateer, eh
Danger City Kitty
privateer, eh has a spectacular reputation.privateer, eh has a spectacular reputation.privateer, eh has a spectacular reputation.privateer, eh has a spectacular reputation.privateer, eh has a spectacular reputation.privateer, eh has a spectacular reputation.privateer, eh has a spectacular reputation.privateer, eh has a spectacular reputation.privateer, eh has a spectacular reputation.privateer, eh has a spectacular reputation.privateer, eh has a spectacular reputation.
On the laptop now Odd and can see your response as I type. It's got the straight axle front end,parts are a weird sale out here. The oil industry caused a gap in who buys what. To many uneducated had $140k jobs and are now $15 an hour paving, construction and landscape workers who are losing their over financed toys. Anything older that breaks down gets hauled away to scrapper and the rebuilders are usually a drunk friend or relative who thinks he's a master mechanic. My brother is a legit incorporated journeyman and he doesn't touch anything pre 1990, except once and a while he'll help me if I can't get my brain around a problem. There's a parts market but it's not that strong out here, have a fair amount of parts that I need to list so that'll happen this next month as this thing will get stripped to nothing. Going to have 60 - 100 pieces to sell so that might make a difference, my shed is turning into a warehouse but I prefer marketing a variety of inventory than a few pieces at a time, cash flow becomes more consistant that way. Going to have to put in a work ad at the same time and I've got to figure out what service I'm going to supply, only want to work a day or 2 a week so that I can stay on my projects and not OP snit. No mechanical work as I'm not sharp enough anymore to figure out why people drive the way they do. Maybe just general equipment repair, maintanance for Developer site managers and their friends.
To cool for paint today and the humidity is rising so I'm just doing the final taping off of the stripes and maybe some yard clean up. Have appeal notice phone calls coming in from the Prov government, it's been decided that my federal pension should go to the Provincial government and not me plus they want a 13k back payment. Hmmm, yeah, I'll hand over my Federal pension that I paid into for 35+ years, without a fight and pay $331 a month for my 02 that I don't qualify for because I'm active enough to maintain a blood gas 02% of 63% and not 59. If I sat on my azz, drank and smoked dope I'd qualify due to being to lazy to look after my health. Aint that a beyotch, guess the under 30k group has to pay to make up for our government refusing to have a progressive tax rate. Think I'll become a refugee and move to Washington st. LOL. Sorry about the rant but everytime life gets back to normal, theres a nut kicker letter that shows up in the mail box. I really need to win a lottery, there goes $20 to the government via the corner store. and the beat goes on, and the beat goes on

Old 04-24-2015, 05:26 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
oddfordjunkie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The 47 isn't required over the 42, there's a lot of guys with diesels running tons of power through 42s, reliability is more about driving habits than ratings. Besides ZF/BMW torque rates at about a 45% capacity, so that puts a 42 somewhere around 750 Lbft max capacity.

The tailshaft break ran off of the regular foot parking brake pedal, the cable is an obsolete part, I have to make one out of a Morse cable.

Moving here would only get you a different kind of government headaches.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:31 PM
privateer, eh
Danger City Kitty
privateer, eh has a spectacular reputation.privateer, eh has a spectacular reputation.privateer, eh has a spectacular reputation.privateer, eh has a spectacular reputation.privateer, eh has a spectacular reputation.privateer, eh has a spectacular reputation.privateer, eh has a spectacular reputation.privateer, eh has a spectacular reputation.privateer, eh has a spectacular reputation.privateer, eh has a spectacular reputation.privateer, eh has a spectacular reputation.
Thanks for the info on the 42, was wondering about that issue. Time for an overhaul bearing and seal kit for it and making sure the casting flash is properly cleaned up. Weather is going to crap for a day or 2 so I'm chasing down that ring and pinion. Should pay for itself in the first tour. Want to save up for a mild stroker kit, 521 ormaybe a 535 nothing wild just something to flatten out the hills, shorten the line up in the mountains and get me on the highway. My foot is well trained against breaking parts, just dont like slowing down and speeding up. Think I would hide an emergency brake lever behind, under or beside the seat, would keep the foot lever for a dummy lock. Theft prevention of some sort. Have a good night Odd, its chicken burger time.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:54 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
FYI the Tailshaft brake houses it's own seperate fluid from the rest of the trans and there are pictures of guys that have ran it dry, it siezes then tears the entire bell housing off the transmission, pretty wild looking.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:07 AM
privateer, eh
Danger City Kitty
Holy uckfay!!, some one was practicesing their engineering skills in Germany. Did the google hunt on that unit, now I know why Superduty's were starting to look like trains. Was used to locking padded bands on reversed drum and cable pulled levered caliper on disc plate. That unit is pure government sponsored economic stimulation. Up to $1400 to replace if you don't know how to service and maintain it yourself. Apparently the cable goes on a regular basis on these things. May put a cable lock on the ebrake cab mechanism. Thankyou for the headsup on that.
Guy with gear was doing good until I tried to book a viewing/purchase time. He's a texter and theres been no reply from his end since I told him I could pick it up anytime after 1pm tomorrow, that was at 8.45pm tonite.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:20 PM
privateer, eh
Danger City Kitty
Lookie what the cats dragged in

Kid lived out of town and delivered it at 11.30 this A.M. These are 3.73 which should be better for fuel economy than the 4.88s that are in the 450 or the 4.10s in the 350. Won't go to 3.54 as it's being used in a 16,000 gvcw set up and this is the best compromise for the total system, a 3.54 would burn up to fast. The rest of the gear system will be where I manipulate the torque and economy. Brownie box, Mitchell direct/overdrive is next. In 2 weeks I'll have most of my metal in the shops and it's all Henry build from then on, it's like waiting for christmas. I've been holding back a bit on this project as I wanted to gather as much of the stuff I needed so that this doesn't become a start, stop, start, stop act. The motor will come together fast once the parts are in but in the meantime there's 3 months of metal work to do and I need to save up some $s, only real expense will be wire, argon and primer.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:43 PM
privateer, eh
Danger City Kitty
So, heres an update on Katy

And you thought I was twiddling my thumbs. I've got the center of the roof and hood to black out and the base part of this is done. There's a severe lack of space to work in, theres no way to stand back and look at what your doing or done. Painting and watching from the side of what your doing is a charm. Had to go to a panel paint sequence so I know that I'll need to make corrections to the side stripes but the will be slivers and easy to tape off. Means that I can do it on the street after I get my doors and fenders aligned then bring the hood to center again. Had it in place but I think the hood latch is off. Still have grill to put in place and everything else before I can move it to the street, including remounting the box. Hoping for Tuesday as a get out of here day and then I can start this trailer/truck stripping/reclamation trip, sooner it's done the better. When that's done the 450 comes in and a new trip starts, this one is my own and I get to make it. The sooner that one starts the better.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:12 PM
privateer, eh
Danger City Kitty
So, here I am twiddling my thumbs waiting for the breeze to slow and for the heat to break. The black on my cowl is to hot for painting right now, I decided to resand with 400, wash, rinse and wipe down this last paint area and it was to hot to start the paint. I would have had 2 spots drying faster than the hood. This area is what every sees so I figured I might as well do it as right as I can. If the breeze doesn't stop I'll start remounting the box. 5 hours of work and it's done enough to put on the street and I can do my touch ups there.

not to worried about the back wall being perfect as nobody will be able to stare at it any way

this is one of the spots that's getting to hot in the sun

5 hours left and then I'm prepping for the trailer project, no more months, weeks or days left. This being retired is real rough, all I do for keeping busy when everyone else is working is to work on old trucks and weird projects, what a horrible life, poor poor pitiful me. HA HA LOL

Old 04-27-2015, 11:44 PM
privateer, eh
Danger City Kitty
Well I decided to risk painting the hood, should've maybe waited a half hour. The front of the hood will need to be redone a bit but nothing major. Painting black with a rattle can on a sunny day with a breeze is pushing your luck somewhat. Black paint will flash up fast and dry pretty fast if the sun, breeze and a thin spot in your paint come together, as a result I got some crinkling in the paint when I went over it with the clearcoat. It's not bad and I can bring it back when I do the detail. Early morning paint or paint on a cloudy day is the main part of the cure. But it's done enough that I can put it on the street and finish it there over the next 2 weeks. Theres enough clear on the truck to seal it but not enough to buff it, by the time it's done the stripes will be straight and even and the clear will be thick enough to wet sand and buff. the truck will be far from perfect but will look good from 10 feet.

it's the hood that's off by a 1/4"

Old 04-29-2015, 12:22 AM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
As long as it's Perfect from afar, you'll be fine.

Yeah, that Parking Brake has a lot of holding potential.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:05 AM
privateer, eh
Danger City Kitty
So truck's on the street, Katy is working the curb. The touch ups are just runs in the clear, making sure the stripes are even and clear coat over spray. Once it's to a decent clearcoat level I'll give it a quick buff, maybe wet sand with 12 or 1500 grit first, then it's for sale. I've got 3/8" pinstriping tape to finish it off.

The gardener likes it

Bumper is turning into an in frame trailer hitch bumper combo. Need something heavy duty to protect the box and it helps box the frame.

Most of the face goes on tomorrow

I need to regrade my floor in order to continue a construction job. This construction job is going to start popping up for a while. I'm seeing how far I can push this shelter and not have bylaw say I've gone to far. Burried to much crap in this floor

Old 04-29-2015, 09:48 AM
ford_pickup
Elder User
ford_pickup is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cool thread, subscribed

Old 04-29-2015, 11:22 AM
ZarK-eh
Elder User
ZarK-eh is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Truck looks BAD!

Looks like it's should belong on some Mad Max Movie

Old 04-29-2015, 10:30 PM
privateer, eh
Danger City Kitty
Das trailer

As some of you know, I have a 79 350 that got smucked in the tail end by a drunk driver, turns out that this is the best thing that could have happened. I'm $1500 up on this truck that literally cost me nothing and was going to be used to torment someone who has it coming to him. I now have the body metal I need to get a good start on my Henry project, a trailer in the making to haul away al the scrap that I wont be needing after I strip down the F450 and then it becomes luigi's nightmare and I get rid of a bunch of plywood that I don't need making Luigi's nightmare. It will probably get towed or disappeared when I put it to it's intended use but Jimmies a corn cracker and I don't care, I just want the result.
Zark-eh, I belong in a mad max movie.
So, I got me a level floor now. I put in a grade beam and did some trenching this winter and had a real back breaker for a floor, not any more

Should be easier to use my engine hoist on this than gravel. And speaking of beat up ugly trucks that are cash cows and not money pits, good segue huh

This is the only good angle of this truck, it looks like hell from any other angle

Henry's new tinted window, 2 windows pulled and neither one cracked

Interior coughed up the trim and head panel for Katy, will make it easier to get a price for her. Need to do some grinder work to take apart front end and get rid of a mirror. the inner fenders are toast and I need to cut out the hinges. will probably cut out the rust and save the rest of the part for future fabrication work. Hoping to have just the motor, cab and frame left tomorrow, want the suspension out to give the hoist some room to move.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:22 AM
privateer, eh
Danger City Kitty
I ran into a construction job today. How do you store a cab and drive train, build a shelf. Building a shelf around here involves 2 hours of working the leaf rake and sorting out the back yard. I have lumber stored in oddball places were nobody notices it, hence the yard cleaning.

The shelf is going to be into the shop by up to 3', that is the cantilever for the end and last 3 boards. I'm hoping it can hold the weight of a near bare cab/ no doors, glass, interior. The motor needs to go in first and then I'll finish the rest of the shelf. I needed the bottom of it to be 42" high from the ground in order to clear the top of a F405's deck and give me enough room to get around or under it. Everything is screwed together and attached to boxed studs, its not going anywhere. This place is going to look unusual come monday night, will be uniquely different after the new truck's deck is stripped

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adventures in Retirement

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.