Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Adventures in Retirement

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 06:20 AM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Good deal. Been stuffing wire into walls and ceilings myself lately. Nothin' like standing on the hot end of the ladder, drilling through a wall sill plate with a regular hand drill, an angle adapter, and a 7/8ths" bit...

Old 08-24-2018, 04:33 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
Yeah, the idea of going into the crawl space and opening up walls in the shop to rough in the electrical doesn't turn me on to much, also am putting in a fan and vent. Today is a rain day so its clean up the house day, to many boxes of tools and inventory upstairs, every time I start to get room in the shop there seems to be a good auction with tools that I don't have. This is what I've been working on this week and with the parts that I have its really needed.

This area of the yard is dead space and is dry courtesy of the tree thats there so I picked up 4, 38" x 10' skids, levelled the ground and dropped them in, as you've noticed the tree was somewhat in the way so it was work around time. Theres next to no rain or snow that gathers in this area and its well protected so I'm going with a flat roof and am using 3 patio doors for the bulk of the roof so that I'll have some light coming into the shed. I'm noy to worried about the glass roof as its well protected by the tree and its only squirrels and peanuts plus the occassional supervisor cat that will be up there. Theres not a single screw that's gone into the fence and the whole thing will be panelled in with fence boards so it'll look like its part of the fence, theres still another shelf layer going in. This shed is for the large, bulky parts and pieces that get in the way and also for the lawn and gardening that I have, out of sight, out of mind.

Got all the tree, sucker and shrub roots out of the soon to be reclaimed yard so the new fence line and gate will get started on in the next few days as we're going to be having sporadic rain for awhile. The washing machine beckons me so its time for another load. TTYL

Old 08-26-2018, 08:59 PM
fe390pc
Logistics Pro
Received 189 Likes on 173 Posts
Damn son, lots going on. Glad to see you are busy and having "fun".

Old 08-30-2018, 12:15 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Took some time off from building the shed and decided to start on the fence line. Since the last garbage day, 3 neighbors have started putting in new fences so I decided to join the status quo, will be 18 panel boards short so the old ones will due for now. The old panel boards will go on the shed but I'll probably load up the shed before I put them on, advantage of being wisely lazy. My gate system should mess with the neighbors mind as he has a single panel swing gate that's about 9 or 10 feet wide. My gate wound up being 13'6" ,lots of room for the mirrors and it's at an angle to the alley. Pics in a day or two.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:39 PM
fe390pc
Logistics Pro
Can't wait to see the whole thing done.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:12 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Hey hi there 390.
Its a rain day today so its catch up day indoors, my land reclamation program has worked out quite well and now have about 200 more square feet of backyard.

I put in an apron on the other side of the gate so that it'll be easier to open and close the gate, went to the RONA to get the rest of the fence boards but these brown boards were out of stock for now. Tomorrow is a run around day and hopefully it'll rain itself out and the weather will be dry for awhile. I'm volunteered for the neighborhood cleanup program but that helps me stay on top of the areas politics which appear to be picking up again. Having the work truck comes in handy as this weekend's escapade will probably bring in some more work over the next few years. Got to go, ttyl

Old 09-04-2018, 07:30 PM
fe390pc
Logistics Pro
Nice work as usual!

Old 09-07-2018, 02:38 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
I finally got a chance to use the back gate today and it sure made life easy, I can back the truck into the yard and have lots of room to spare. The way it was before, the mirrors were about 3 inches to wide to fit inside the fence posts. I would have done the back fence line like this last year but there just wasn't enough time to tear everything out and redo it the proper way. On Monday after all this weekend volunteering is done, I'm going to turn the scrap trailer around, cut off the hitch and put it in the new corner of the yard where its out of the way, then I'm taking the axle out of it and putting it on blocks. I'm hoping that the brown pt fence boards that I need will be in at RONA so that I can finish the fence and then finish the shed. Who knows, maybe by next weekend the wrap up on this yard will be in sight and I can start on the shop again.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:18 PM
TheMonson
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really like that gate.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:56 PM
fe390pc
Logistics Pro
Truck is looking good Buddy!

Old 09-09-2018, 10:40 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Yeah the old Tremclad paint job has held up well and this gate has made life pretty easy. Decided to take tomorrow off so that I can watch the races and do some paperwork seeing as it was a dirty and disgusting weekend doing some community clean up work. I was chatting to a guy from the Forest Lawn Community Association the other day when I was putting a close on the day and he mentioned that he was doing a neighborhood cleanup and said if I put out my unwanted garbage that he and his volunteers would pick it up. I almost laughed at him as I know what its like trying to get volunteers to actually show up to do an easy job let alone a hard one. If you offer an all day meal and a party afterwards people will show up and some of what you need to get done will get done. Long story short is that I volunteered the truck and myself to do the clean up, which is good because the guy himself and part time help from his family were the only other people who were there all 3 days and they only had a 12 uhaul open trailer. Foothills Landscaping gave them a truck and 2 guys for 6 hrs on Saturday and that was all we had for labor and equipment. I hauled 3855 kilograms of this crap to the dump for them.

The sledge hammer got a good workout, only 1 pile of junk was put out and the guy helped load all the rest of the stuff that I was picking up was the shlt piles that people thought were okay to pile up their crap at. The one pile was so big it wound up being a load and a half and it wasn't unusual to fill the truck in 3 stops. I am so sick and tired of diseased mattresses, couches and other peoples garbage that I think I'll get a gas can and just burn it where it is in the future. Probably stuck 50 needles in the biohazzard coffee can I used. Got home stripped down at the door and went straight to the shower, can't believe how some people will pile up crap behind their place and just leave it for a few years, any how that's all over and done with and hopefully there's some brownie points down the road.
Next week I start doing the yard shuffle and then my place will start to look respectable. TTYL

Old 09-18-2018, 10:53 AM
fe390pc
Logistics Pro
Wow, that was a mountain of crap!

Old 09-19-2018, 10:19 AM
jackburtonme
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
diseased mattresses and dirty needles.....yuk

Old 09-21-2018, 04:27 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Yeah this neighborhood cleanup is one crappy experience that I'm glad is over, at least now the alleys look a lot nicer and maybe it'll encourage a few people to keep the back fence lines cleaner.

We've had a week or so of wet, cold and just plain schity weather and the last couple of days I've had company in from out of town but there's been some dry spells so that I've been able to get enough of the shed built that I've been able to start filling it up. This little shed sure holds a lot of stuff and it's no where near full, including the usable floor space there's about 240 sq ft. of storage space with the shelves being 2' apart. Had a day of playing with this Chinese puzzle of a yard and finally got this monkey caged scrap trailer of mine moved into it's spot.

I've got to turn this ugly old thing 180 degrees and put it in the newly reclaimed corner so that it's out of the way and I'll have a place to put all my scrap so that all the stuff that makes the yard look like a scrapyard will be out of sight. These engine hoists and come a longs are such a handy pair of tools and make life so easy.

This trailer is boxed in by the 75 in front and a hydraulic lift and frame section from the 88 F450 deck truck that I scrapped for parts behind it so it kind of has to be turned on a dime. One of the reasons that I built the rear gate the way that I did was so that the yard can be accessed at different angles and there is a lot of room to maneuver the truck.

Ain't this thing pretty as a peach huh, it's a good thing this part of the yard is about 18 or 19' wide. Glass stucco garage with no damage on one side and Perkins ready to fall down fence on the other side, good thing there's lots of wood around to use for blocking, moving this thing is actually pretty easy but it's a routine that takes time so it's a bit of a slow process.

This had the neighborhood dog watchers looking at me kind of funny, the fun part is coming up.

Surgery time

The next time I move this trailer it'll be with a cutting disc and a sawzall, the hitch was just wasted space that'll be needed when I move this hydraulic system.

And there it be, right where it belongs, fills up that reclaimed 12' of yard quite nicely and now I have room for the hydraulic system and frame and the 54 Merc parts car behind the garage on this side of the yard. The 75 F250 gets turned around, the gantry crane gets reassembled and a short set of tracks gets set into the yard, once that is done the old flathead gets pulled from the 48 M68 and it gets parked nose to nose with the 75 and they get blended into 1. The Overland gets its own bay in the garage and there will be enough room in there to finish off the shop. When done I'll have a rust free 78 F350 that's being converted into a unibody 5th wheel RV puller for when I want to be a tourist to work on. A 1920 Overland with a 255 flat head that may get stroked, bored and twin turbo'd that'll be a toy for days that I'm feeling bored to work on. A 48 Mercury M68 for use as a wrecker and towing truck for fetching projects to work on and a 68 long springer fork 650 Triumph in the basement to work on during snow storms, Should be an entertaining winter around this place.
But first I have a yard to sort and a load of scrap metal to put together so that I have lots of space for the projects. Good thing I'm taking another 10 days off and even better is that its going to be 10c warmer next week than it has been for the last 2 weeks and no more freezing rain and light snow. ttyl

Old 09-23-2018, 07:13 PM
fe390pc
Logistics Pro
Well at least you are making progress! I still haven't gotten back on mine and just went and ordered 10 tons of CR6 for delivery on Friday.

Quick Reply: Adventures in Retirement