Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Adventures in Retirement

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 06:37 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
Well, I learned something new this last couple of days, the 2nd gear synchro spring and spring clips are made from unobtainium, at lest the spring is. May have to make a trip down to the truck wreckers and see if I can find one. Started the bodywork in the mean time to make this thing look prettier. I like using rocker guard in the spray can on the lower portion of daily drivers as it shortens the body work portion of these quickie rebuilds.
**** time

Not really finished here, just wanted it covered do to morning dew and potential rain

Now that the worst spots on the passenger side are done it's on to the drivers side and then the roof, roof is rough

Old 11-09-2016, 02:45 PM
kwe45919
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Still rolling along I see......lots of hard work going on. Keep at it....

Old 11-09-2016, 06:11 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
It's a grind Kwe
Speaking of which, ever put a paint stripping disc on an angle grinder and take it to scab rust, sure knocks it off fast. Got a cold wind come in at 3.30 today, temp dropped and my tail feathers got chilly. I have another hood that I using on this truck, this patina'd hood is getting cut up and used for fenders on my other 78 F350, still have all that other patina to get rid of....... **** quickie

Ground out all the scabs and found a couple more dents, sprayed everything with rust converter and tomorrow I'll finish the roof and spray it. It'll sit for a full day for the rust converter to set up thoroughly, the rest of the day will be spot bondo and primer.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:34 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Well, I'm rusty and crusty now, but the rust and crap is off the truck. I'm cutting it close on my weather window so it's a good thing this is just a redo over a relatively solid cab. If I was looking to do a 100% job this thing wouldn't be done until late spring due to weather. not much to say so it's picture time.

I'm the one doing all the work here, not the geezer. Hurry up and finish my truck while I'm in the mood to let you help

Just a bit more to do and it's ready for paint. theres old blems in the body but this just has to look good from 10' away, it's not meant for shows, it's meant to be used for landscaping.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:37 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
I hate taping and papering a truck, 3 hours to put on and 20 minutes to take of. Really pushing it weather wise but am really hoping for 1 more day. Would I use a paint roller to paint a flat deck, sure. Would I use a roller to paint a body, only if I had no choice, it can be done, but make sure you pick up a can or 2 of matching rattle can, I had 2 cans in stock so I wasn't to worried about rolling this truck as I had correction and detail paint close at hand. Pretty sure that I can do the black this way also. Going to pick up some more blue and green tape tomorrow. Didn't clear coat it yet, I'll wait till I have a better temperature day. pics at 6

Being inspected

Old 11-15-2016, 03:00 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
you do some great work! i really enjoy the pictures. glad your back in action full blast!

Old 11-15-2016, 12:48 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Thanks Skip, but this is more like, under the circumstance, work.
Our weather turned to crap at about 2 yesterday and all I could get finished was the drivers door and fender, couldn't clear coat it and if I had, the rain would have damaged it.
Just ordered in 2 sets of springs for my transmission and they should be here in a few days. The weather is really crappy here today but when it settles down I have the mirrors to fix up, clean up and repaint. Have the grill coated with rubberized rocker guard, but need to paint it. Have to glue some light lenses back together and clean them up, I use different grades of toothpaste and the neighbors dremel with the polishing bits as it gets into the lines and grooves in these pita big lenses.
The truck looks like sin right now but when we get the chinook come in I'll get another panel or 2 done and it'll start looking decent.
Have a week at least of bad working temps so it's time to rebuild the shelter and get that up and running, good thing our winters are mild.... Last pick for a while

The door is about a 1/4" high and has a strange reflection but it's a solid color

Old 11-17-2016, 04:30 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
I HATE MIRROR MOUNTING BRACKETS, I needed to strip down my mirror frames as they were rusty, bolts were breaking and they were the wrong color and I need to replace the lenses and a bulb socket. Taking them apart was no problem but it produced 12 pieces that needed to be stripped of paint and cleaned. 2 hours and 2 different styles of rasp files to get into the curves, 3 hours of the paint stripping disc on the angle grinder, 2 hours of paint stripper and copper scouring pads to get the balance of the paint off followed up with spraying them with rust converter to eliminate that headache and day 1 is done. Day 2 was grey rust primer, which at an hour and a half was a breeze. Tomorrow is 2 coats of black filler primer and the next day is black paint with clear coat.

The cats are donating their closet as a drying booth. There looks like a day or 2 that I can get some spray time in coming up, if it happens I'll try to get another panel painted and some clear coat on the painted panel, maybe on the fresh panel to. I want to remount these mirrors next week and rumor has it that my transmission parts are on the way from greensalescompany.com, check them out for parts

Old 11-18-2016, 12:23 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Looking great! ya we are down to 11f here now snow really though, we will see what happens. sometimes it gets too cold to snow.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:32 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Old saying on the prairies Skip ' it's got to warm up to snow'. Doing the inside - outside -inside paint dance again today as it's -3c with occasional flurries. To much exercise LOL

Old 11-18-2016, 02:57 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you deal with these *******s doing this to your property. If guns are legal in Calgary, I'd be sitting out in the back seat at 2-3 AM with a video camera and a 12 gauge.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:43 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Our biggest problem Diesel is the junkie squad members of our Police Service and a mentality thats held by a portion of Calgarians. Before I moved into this place it was the "problem" house on this street, at least in the eyes of responsible people it was. The place was owned by a German immigrant, an outsider, and the property manager used it for a make work project for his pothead bil, every 6 months either upstairs or downstairs needed to be rebuilt as long as he rented out to junkies and drunks. That came to an end with me and 30 months later he was fired. The new property manager was the owners book keeper, rented upstairs to a drinker and his room mate, had 5 different room mates over the years he was here, 1 drunk, 4 junkies. While he had the drunk room mate I got rid of the act next door, bunch of drunks and a junkie that moved in on a 85lb 70+ year old crippled stroke victim who couldn't speak properly. Junkie had moved in on the lady across the alley before I moved in here as this place was home invaded by someone collecting a bill. She was a special needs teacher who had an 85% hearing loss, he gave people the idea they were living together. She developed brain cancer 5 years ago and he decided that seeing as she was dying that he would rip her off for her house, decided to renovate house and destroyed it in the process. She called the Sheriff to get rid of him, he called the cops. Long story short, her house, he stays, she moves in with mother or gets charged?, he has Canada wide warrant for his arrest from Ontario?. Theres a segment of this town that looks upon the crippled, handicapped, terminally ill, outsiders and non white seniors as sub human blights on society and need to be preyed upon.
Junkies don't steal my tools, I give them to the junkies and don't let them return them. Junkies don't pour water and sand down my carbs in December, or wreck my generator, bandsaw or drill press, they've fixed them for me. I'm supposed to be grateful for everything the junkies have done for me. Multiple times cops have told me this, the other line they like is to get in my face and repeatedly say, 'he's your friend, he's your friend, he's your friend' and 'your the problem here not them, why don't you move'. My neighbors and I get along very well, i mow 4 lawns for free every week, 3 aren't mine, we shovel each others sidewalks, all the fence gates are fixed by myself and the old garbage can cubby holes that the junkies would do their dope in were covered up by me.
When the house got sold, the original owners book keeper told the new owner that I was 5 months behind in my rent, this was after he had gone through the neighbor hood to find out what this house was like. He mentioned this to me and I went online and showed him the direct deposits to the previous home owner and then went to the bank to show him the paper work and that it was this way since I moved in. Old home owner has since found out that she ripped him off for 5k, they met in church and have been friends for about 10 years. Drinker upstairs was cash, no lease. New owner and I have the same deal as before and he says he's getting me a garage, he's an outsider also.
Our army doesn't need to be fighting terrorists in Iraq and Syria, we have more than enough terrorists wearing badges and dopers over here for them to take care of. There are good cops in this town and good people, but there is a lot of crap here to. This area has always had a reputation, but most of the reputation was earned by the cops in this area.
Have a camera system coming in January and now that we know who we're all watching out for there will be an end coming to this problem

Old 11-18-2016, 05:56 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Sounds like there are plenty of people who need to be shot in Calgary, and I don't mean you.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:24 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
I'm glad we have gun laws, once I shoot the first one, I'd probably shoot the rest. lol

It would be good for the economy

Old 11-18-2016, 06:49 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by privateer, eh
I'm glad we have gun laws, once I shoot the first one, I'd probably shoot the rest. lol

It would be good for the economy
I don't doubt that

Quick Reply: Adventures in Retirement