Sponsored by: Moser

Update on the monster truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 07:36 AM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Update on the monster truck

It occurred to me I haven't posted anything on my monster truck, "Earthquake" in a while. For the past year, it's been pretty much serving as a sign for my shop. This year, however, I want to work it more. I have a BUNCH of time and effort (not to mention cash) invested in this thing and it's time for it to start paying me back.

Now, when I got the truck, I was told that all I needed to do was install the engine that he included in the deal and fix a few wires. Then I would have a working truck that would do anything. What I got, was a pile of broken parts and a mountain of headache and aggravation. A year and half and $5,000 later, I now have the truck I was told I was getting.

I've replaced the engine, transmission, transfer case, the entire fuel system, the entire brake system, rewired it from bumper to bumper, replaced all the gauges, and flushed all the fluids. The driveshafts were seized at the slip yoke and had to be heated until they were glowing orange, then beat apart with a 5 pound sledge hammer. There was NO transfer case mount, so I had to make one for it. (it's a high boy with a married case in it) I've also removed about 600 pounds of mud from underneath it. (no exaggeration) I still get large clumps of mud out from under whenever I work on it.

Anyway, this is how I got it.....

Then I stripped those ridiculous graphics off it and replaced the broken windshield.

Then I got the lights to work.

I put his engine in and hooked it up to his trans. It didn't run worth a crap and it only had 1st and reverse. The t-case was also stuck in 4 low because it was packed with mud for who knows how long. ....but it moved under it's own power.

Then it went back inside for a new trans and transfer. By the way, if you use an engine hoist through the floor to raise the trans and transfer case into place, it makes it SO easy! I wrapped a chain around it at the balance point and raised it in to place. It was a snap!

I fixed the mangled tail gate and bumper, too.

I still couldn't get it to run worth a flip and by this point, I was pretty disgusted with it, so it got parked out front of my shop as a sign for a year.

Then our business center put on a car show. The show turned out to be an FTE gathering of local members, but it was still fun. I tried to draw as much attention to the show as I could, so I set up a little display with the truck.

Now my interest in the truck was renewed. I replaced the engine, fixed the brakes, put the t-case mount in, fixed the tire that had a slow leak, and buttoned up the last of the wiring issues. It's now FINALLY a truck I can play with.

It's been a long road, but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:57 AM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lotta folks would have just chitcanned it Alan, congrats on intestinal fortitude.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:02 AM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Thanks. I was in too deep on it and really couldn't cut THAT much of a loss. At the very least, everyone now knows where the shop is.

"You know where the monster truck sits on Hwy 14?"
"Oh, yeah!"
"That's my shop."

Old 02-16-2015, 08:32 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
I have seen it go from the needs a ton of work, to about done and got to have a fast lap ride in it myself. Alan has put ALOT of hard work in it.

Hang in there Alan it looking good.