Notices
1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Disc brakes on a 1959 Dana 44 front axle

Old 02-14-2015, 03:52 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
theodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to behold
Disc brakes on a 1959 Dana 44 front axle

Well Teddy has a new set of Disc brakes on the front axle. I have been wanting to do this for a while now and missed an oppertunity to purchase store bought kit. A year or so ago a member from Az, I think it was "Nate the great" posted a disc upgrade he did with caliper hangers purchased from Blackbird or something like that, anyway I saved the link at the time and told myself when i get ready I'd just give them a shot. Well when the time came the link to their web site said they no longer do the kit and no inner net sales. So I looked around the net with no luck. But another 1959 Dana 44 was found it was a half ton axle for $80.00 Complete with springs

Almost everything on the half ton is the same as the 3/4 ton, except gearing, hubs of course and brakes/backing plate. But the housing, knuckles, spindles are the same.
On line I seen that the Dana 25 and 30 axles had the same size knuckles as my Dana 44. But these axles were being upgraded to smaller discs and I wanted 12" for the better stopping power. Some of the kits and mods on the mid 60's to 1979 Dana 44's were using calipers and disc's from "SOB" 3/4 ton front axles C20' and K20's. These are 12 inch disc's with shallow top hats or off sets.
With this info some measurements were takin and plans were made.
The backing plates on both axles mount to the front face of the spindle, but the 1/2 ton was an 1/8" thick and the 3/4 ton was 3/16". So I used the thicker plates and moved them to the back of the spindle flange. The spindle nests in to the knuckle so I turned the back side of the spindle flange down by 3/16 to maintain that same inter-face with the knuckle.

Moving the plate to the back side gained 1/2" then I welded two pieces of 3/8" plate one for a spacer and the other for the ears to mount the calipers

Using the combo of old backing plate and two pieces of 3/8" plate put the caliper right where it needed to be for the Disc. The discs were mounted to the back of the hubs, after removing some of the casting on the back of the hub to allow for the center hole on the new discs.

These hubs wouldn't fit on my little Harbour Fright lathe so a 4" cutting blade was chucked up in the drill press and the hub was mounted on a spindle and rotated into the blade. Crude but effective!

I drove him around today with a couple of hard stops. Nothing broke and he stops straight, no vibrations, all is good. Have to put more miles on and let every thing settle and see, but for now I'm happy with the outcome.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:02 PM
spurredon
Post Fiend
spurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to all
Great job. Way to make it happen the way you want and not just what is available. Gary will be proud of your drill press mill work as I am. That was a great buy on the axel and springs too!!

Old 02-14-2015, 11:54 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
theodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Spurredon! I was actually inspired by the thread Gary put out a while back on trimming his hubs. But I didn't have a long enough belt to use my band saw. So came up with the drill press idea.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:21 AM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Buzz44 has a good reputation on FTE.Buzz44 has a good reputation on FTE.
Nice work and yes that was a great buy and find on the complete front axle and springs.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:28 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Yea that front axle was just by chance. I was looking at 59 Truck for sale on CL and seen the axle in one of the pictures just laying off to the side. Called the guy up, he said it was for a 59. He had no use for it but couldn't just throw it away. He even delivered it, said that it wasn't going home with him. Could have got it for free but gave him 80 bucks, he was a heck of nice guy. The knuckles, axles and spindles were well worth it to me.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:56 PM
spurredon
Post Fiend
spurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to all
[QUOTE=theodore/teddy;15089979], he was a heck of nice guy. QUOTE]

There still are a few around!

Old 02-15-2015, 08:50 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
[QUOTE][QUOTE=theodore/teddy;15089979], he was a heck of nice guy. QUOTE]

/QUOTE]

Spurredon; you guys are getting far and few between!

Old 02-16-2015, 05:33 PM
spurredon
Post Fiend
[QUOTE=theodore/teddy;15090836][QUOTE]
Originally Posted by theodore/teddy View Post
, he was a heck of nice guy. QUOTE]

/QUOTE]

Spurredon; you guys are getting far and few between!
Aw shucks, I'm speechless! The war dept. might have a differing opinion at times! LOL