6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Duallys Only

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 01:29 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
We seem to keep going smaller and smaller in our 5th wheels, in fact I am in a '34 now and looking to drop down to..
I've never read a comment like this before in the 6.7l section. I daily seem to read about maximum weight, height, and length. Even comments around requiring a CDL. Towing more than a single trailer too. Never, I want to tow less.

Bruce

Old 11-01-2018, 10:26 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally I too was more comfortable towing my 32' Jayco 5th with a SRW; however with the grandkids getting older (and dear friends sometimes joining us) we went (10' / 6K pounds) larger/ heavier this past summer - which required a switch to the DRW. I suspect our next 5th will be shorter/ lighter (6-8 years down the road) and we'll abandon the awesome DRWs.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:36 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by my_crib_too
I've never read a comment like this before in the 6.7l section. I daily seem to read about maximum weight, height, and length. Even comments around requiring a CDL. Towing more than a single trailer too. Never, I want to tow less.

Bruce
Bruce, I have run the gamut on this: From a Truck bed camper to a 45 ft motor home with 32 of trailer behind me and the more I have gone and driven the more I realize I just don't need it. No one has every spent a night in any rig we had other than me 'n wife. We never sit around in these things, instead we are out, we eat out most meals and have some to the conclusion that hauling around all that space is neither needed nor wanted,

Just us and the dogs...

Old 11-02-2018, 07:09 AM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,176 Likes on 680 Posts
I bought the dually to pull the 39' Fuzion we had. This past March the wife decided she had enough of the toyhauler and wanted the 41' Solitude since we had the dually. We usually take the grandkids and our grown up kids with us so the extra living area is nice to have. I would have liked a 36' trailer but she wanted the model with the mid bedroom and upper loft that gives 4 extra sleeping spots.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:02 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
We also have been going smaller. We had a 40' 5th wheel, and now a larger triple slide truck camper.
In my opinion the large 5th wheels are very nice once you get them set up, but getting there can be a problem.
First, they are usually over 12.5' high, so need to be aware that some highways and side roads could have low overheads. Same with the length, 40'+ will require to think about every stop and side trip you take.
Second, the big rigs take big campsites. That means MOST sites at state and national parks are no go's.
Third, the larger the rigs the more you will have to be on a schedule. since parking spots are limited for the larger rigs, reservations need to be made way in advance.. Sometime over a year in advance, that means you need to keep the schedule one you make it.
We have never made reservations with our truck camper, we can fit in the smallest sites and in the overflow areas if needed. We make a final decision on where we are going when we leave the driveway. Many times we change our original destination at the last minute due to weather conditions or fires.
Cant tell you how many time we have stopped at campground and asked if they have a opening. always get a stern look with the question "how big is you rig". when I answer a truck camper I see an instant smile on there face and the answer yes. sometimes its without hookups, but we prepared for that and doesn't bother us at all. always have water in the tank and the generator if needed.
I do believe as the number of these huge rigs increase, the seasoned RVers will go smaller with just what is needed instead of fighting over the limited number of sites, AND CAMGROUNDS, that can accommodate 40+ foot rvs

Old 11-04-2018, 10:27 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,546 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Wow! A triple slide truck camper. I have a Arctic Fox 990 with one slide. But I'm thinking in the next few years moving to a Class C Motor Home. As I still want to pull a car trailer with my Bronco on it. Getting tired of crawling up over the cab to go to bed.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:15 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Tim Young
Wow! A triple slide truck camper. I have a Arctic Fox 990 with one slide. But I'm thinking in the next few years moving to a Class C Motor Home. As I still want to pull a car trailer with my Bronco on it. Getting tired of crawling up over the cab to go to bed.
Yes Eagle Cap 1200. heavy!!!!! But doesn't feel at all like a truck camper. has two recliners AND a jack knife sofa.
Its just my opinion, but looking at tire and wheel capacity and brake rotor size, I would be more comfortable towing behind my 2018 F450 with the camper on than a class C

Old 11-04-2018, 12:35 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
I would go back to a TC if wife would agree. A triple slde gives you all the room you want. My Arctic Fox 1150 dry bath had a walk in shower and anything a motor home has...

Old 11-04-2018, 12:53 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
I would go back to a TC if wife would agree. A triple slde gives you all the room you want. My Arctic Fox 1150 dry bath had a walk in shower and anything a motor home has...
The biggest problem is storage. the EC 1200 has a lot of storage for a truck camper , but still limited for big stuff like a propane fire place, BBQs, and outside chairs.
I know we could get a trailer, but we loose a little bit of the ease of parking and finding camping spots

Old 11-04-2018, 05:44 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by bobv60
The biggest problem is storage. the EC 1200 has a lot of storage for a truck camper , but still limited for big stuff like a propane fire place, BBQs, and outside chairs.
I know we could get a trailer, but we loose a little bit of the ease of parking and finding camping spots
When we were looking Eagle Cap guy just happened to be going to San Antonio for a few days and he stopped off at our place and spent the night and gave us a chance to see it. Well the East-West bed config just was not for us.

Our Arctic Fox 1150 had storage all over the place. As for the propane fireplace, our unit had the std propane heat and a propane heater also, yes, 2 separate heat systems. It also came with a storage locker on top that held our propane BBQ. We only had one slide but I have looked at the Host Mammoth and that thing is huge, would love to go that route if I can only talk my wife into it.

We pulled a trailer behind ours it was a Army Jeep trailer and it was easy to move by hand. We would pull in, find our spot, unhook the trailer and back in. If it was a drive thru we just drove and unhooked there.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:52 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
When we were looking Eagle Cap guy just happened to be going to San Antonio for a few days and he stopped off at our place and spent the night and gave us a chance to see it. Well the East-West bed config just was not for us.

Our Arctic Fox 1150 had storage all over the place. As for the propane fireplace, our unit had the std propane heat and a propane heater also, yes, 2 separate heat systems. It also came with a storage locker on top that held our propane BBQ. We only had one slide but I have looked at the Host Mammoth and that thing is huge, would love to go that route if I can only talk my wife into it.

We pulled a trailer behind ours it was a Army Jeep trailer and it was easy to move by hand. We would pull in, find our spot, unhook the trailer and back in. If it was a drive thru we just drove and unhooked there.
The newer large double and triple slide Eagle Caps all have North/South beds, our 1200 has a California KING bed.
The propane fireplace I am referring to is for outside use instead of a fire pit.
I am not saying ther is not room to put the stuff, just no CONVENIANT place to store large items

Old 11-11-2018, 09:30 AM
jsum
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inside dual tires

2016 F350 dually........I'll post pic when I figure out how to.

Has anyone with a dually tried the ss valve stem extentions? I have a TPMS and the inside tire is a major PITA to get sensor on.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:00 AM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dually (2018) has standard tpms on all 6 wheels; maybe yours does too?

Old 11-11-2018, 10:26 AM
jsum
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Army RET
My dually (2018) has standard tpms on all 6 wheels; maybe yours does too?
I was told at Ford dealer that the 16 F350 duallies did NOT have a factory tpms. Not positive if that's true or not.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:46 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,546 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by jsum
2016 F350 dually........I'll post pic when I figure out how to.

Has anyone with a dually tried the ss valve stem extentions? I have a TPMS and the inside tire is a major PITA to get sensor on.
I haven't added the extensions but I know several guys on here have. Here is one post you can check out. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14956944

Quick Reply: Duallys Only